Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Computer Wargaming / Re: VR?
« Last post by Yskonyn on Today at 03:43:25 AM »
Holy meatballs! I checked out Onward with a friend today!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/496240/Onward/

This is counter strike 3.0. Don't let the simplistic graphics fool you from screenshots. Indeed, the game is still early access and it shows, but man, whats in already is a superb experience!

Interacting with the weapons, unloading a magazine and reloading a new one, talking into the team radio, taking your PDA from your back, cooking grenades and throwing them are all actual physical actions!
Locomotion is well done, though it does give me motion sickness when I get too active. But then again I am a noob VR player.

Look at these videos to see whats possible;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTfAwLbIkQc&t=325s

https://youtu.be/Ez-p6vNXapg

Definately one of the coolest multiplayer experiences I have had so far.

How is movement handled? With one of the touch thumbsticks? The videos I've seen make it look like it could turn into something really good.

So far I've spent my time in Elite:Dangerous VR, which worth the price of the oculus itself, and played a bit of Robo-recall. I've also been playing around with Google Earth which is pretty cool, and some of the art programs such as Medium, Quill, and Tilt Brush.
What I think could be cool would be if someone could take google earth vr and use it for virtual staff rides.

Come on, Jarhead! Stop acting like you know OUR Rift shizzle; the Touch controllers don't have a touchpad like on the Vive's controllers. 😜😊 They use analog thumbsticks like those found on console controllers and indeed the non-dominant one is used for movement, but there is a subtlety; you can either pan the view with 30 degree increments with the thumbstick on your dominant hand's controller, or you can tilt your non dominant hand to change your lateral view more naturally.
Its a great solution really.
Way better than those 'superior' Vive third-arm things. They are just a bad case of compensational behaviour, really. ✌🏻
And where's the gun fun you promised me? Slacker.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Matrix Anniversary Coupon
« Last post by gameleaper on Today at 03:13:37 AM »
maybe you should of just used it once :)
Computer Wargaming / Re: Matrix Anniversary Coupon
« Last post by Pete Dero on Today at 02:24:15 AM »
Go to Matrix or Slitherine site an log in to your account (My Account).

Besides your profile information you also should see 'view my anniversary coupons'.

Your coupon(s) should be listed there.

Just copy and paste it into the store ( including xx% !! e.g. xx%-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx ).

Worked for me.
Music, TV, Movies / Re: Dunkirk
« Last post by Destraex on Today at 01:36:55 AM »
JudgeDredd if I wanted to imagine the scale, I would have read a book.
You cannot have a story about dunkirk set in dunkirk during the evacuation where everything plays out and then ignore the scale. The characters are literally standing in it on the big screen. Unless that is you are making a stage play. We have CGI and we have some damned good model making and sets these days.
There was also another mole iirc... i.e. a second place that large ships could dock to evacuate men.

As for the stukas, really, we don't have good enough CGI or even model making machines and sets these days? They were a major feature of this event. I won't call it a battle as such because realistically their was not much fighting on the ground. Mainly an air war to keep the beachhead secure. So I don't know if it qualifies.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Fortnite
« Last post by jomni on Today at 01:19:16 AM »
So it's like 7 Days to Die, but takes twice as long?

>:D

Maybe the pace (of combat and building) is faster.
Tabletop AARs / Re: Thirty years war 1618-48
« Last post by nevermore on Today at 01:13:42 AM »
Thanks mirth. :)
Music, TV, Movies / Re: Dunkirk
« Last post by JudgeDredd on Today at 12:15:49 AM »
Just saw it last night.

Whilst I agree with almost everything Destraex says, I am completely the opposite in terms of enjoyment.

I agree, for example, that it was an "arty" film (no - not like that- daft Grogheads!) but I loved it for it. It wasn't a documentary on Dunkirk. It wasn't a full film about Dunkirk (how could it be at an hour 45 minutes?). It didn't really relay the scale of Dunkirk.

What it did do was pass to me the desperation of Dunkirk on a local level. It should me that through a group of soldiers. It should me that by only showing a few naval and army officers. It showed me that by the occasional big ship that showed.

I loved the way the film set up the "zones" at the beginning. 1. Mole 2. Air 3. Sea and then continued to flip between those. I think that flipping between the various stages gave a superb feel for the chaos and the "close" feel the film was trying to convey.

I do agree with his view and dislike on a couple of things
  • There was no recount of Dunkirk the story - why was this happening
  • There was no understanding of who the enemy was aside from some aircraft
  • I would've loved to have seen some of the discussion and requisition around the civilian boats
  • I think the little ships should've been shown on a bigger scale. Whilst the smaller scale stuff showed the desperation and futile situation of the officers and men, I think a large scale showing of the ships at the end would've helped the viewer with the scale. They had already mentioned the 400,000 men to give scale so the viewer could take that feeling and multiply it. I feel they could've helped the viewer at the end with the sheer size and significance of the civilian assistance
  • The flipping between night and day - showing out of sync things was also an issue for me. For example the Spitfires were fighting during the day but there were night scenes from Dunkirk interspersed
  • The Spitfire with no power destroying a diving Stuka - if it happened, amazing - but I doubt it very much
  • Very little action on the beach, including no artillery

The Stukas were blurs I guess because they didn't have any. Spitfires, Messerschmitts and He-111s (I'm assuming the He-111 was a surviving one because it bloody looked great (and real)) they could do and looked fantastic. I was unaware of the "yellow nose" thing not being a huge history buff on the event or era.  :-[

It had issues. But they were very, very minor imo. But I was very pleased with the artistic feel of the movie. If that's not your thing, then it may not be enjoyable to you. Also - if you are looking for that big scale movie to portray the size of the event, again, you may well be disappointed.

For me - the movie captured the desperation and futility of the officers and men at a local level. The artistic viewpoint was extremely well done, if a touch messy in places. It tried to give the scale of the event - but only in mention. I found it incredibly tense and it was being ramped up as the movie went on. The music imo was also very well done and helped keep you on the edge of your seat.

Unlike Sir Slash my true love of the movie was the moving from sea to air to land and back again in random orders, though as I mentioned, I didn't like the night day thing - that did throw me.

I would agree with Sir Slash's summary.

To finish - imo, Dunkirk told the story of Dunkirk. It told it from several positions and gave the scale (whilst also providing that "local" feel). IMO this was a much more tense movie than the original Dunkirk. They are both great movies and both for very different reasons. This will join my original on my video shelf and I will enjoy both in years to come.  :clap:

Did anyone who watched it think the flyby over Dunkirk by the Spit think it looked like a Spit flying at an airshow today? Dunkirk just looked - well, modern with nice flats and balconies. I have no reference material to know how Dunkirk looked, but the one in the movie seemed to look like how I'd see it today.
Role-Playing & Adventure Gaming / came across this on my travels
« Last post by gameleaper on Yesterday at 11:31:22 PM »
https://github.com/Heliomance/HeroForge-Anew/releases

run in exel, or the free spreadsheet kingsoft-office-suite-free    http://www.kingsoftstore.com/kingsoft-office-freeware.html

seems to be a self calculating char sheet, does all the math for you, very detailed, look at the right hand side tab for classic sheet,

PS don't forget its a spreadsheet, so when opening it be in spreadsheet mode, not word processor
I'm going and Ill be running a pulp cthulhu scenario.
Computer Wargaming / Re: PC Game Covering The Crusades?
« Last post by Raied on Yesterday at 11:19:53 PM »
The king's crusade is decent its fun for few hours only. I can suggest you a Northern Crusade if it interests you: Real Warfare 2 Northern Crusade http://store.steampowered.com/app/202860

The developer folded before they finished patching it, unfortunately.

Had such potential, too.  :-\

Yes, actually I like the tactical battle system much better than Total War games, it was slower and seems more realistic, the first warfare game was my favorite medieval tactical game ever, unfortunately the campaign added later was mediocre, and developers abandoned the game really soon, hence never improved.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10