Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Computer Wargaming / Re: Cold Waters
« Last post by jamus34 on Today at 09:23:22 PM »
I'd like to see the UI, this looks to be an arcade game and not a "sub-sim" ala Silent Hunter.  I never played RSR, was it more more "game" and less sim (i.e., light)?

RSR was a game, not a sim.  I spent a ridiculous amount of time in my youth on 688 Attack Sub and Janes 688i, and no, RSR was nothing like those. 

But what RSR was was insanely FUN. It wasn't exactly unrealistic, it just didn't make you spend two hours looking at a sonar waterfall to ID a target.  It gave you context, put you into the fight, and made you feel important in a wider war.  Such a great game that it's hard to really explain how good it was in the context of the time.  It was made especially better since I'd read Clancy's Red Storm Rising right as I had got the game as a teenager for Christmas. 

It's good stuff.  It's what Microprose was known for.   If Cold Waters is just a modern reskin, it's an instant classic.

See, this is where I loved RSR. You are the captain of a nuclear attack sub. You should not be working stations on your own. You should be in CIC letting all the officers of the other components updating you on what the battle status and current situation is.
Music, TV, Movies / Re: Alien: Covenant
« Last post by OJsDad on Today at 09:13:12 PM »
Was this the inlaws Rott.
« Last post by Gusington on Today at 09:08:51 PM »
^That is true except for the part about the Rottie...he's dead.
Music, TV, Movies / Re: Justice League
« Last post by Sir Slash on Today at 08:52:26 PM »
Whedon's on board? Damn, it might be worth seeing now.
« Last post by Sir Slash on Today at 08:50:20 PM »
I did call you. The Rottweiler answered and said you were working. I NEVER argue with Rottweilers.
Wargaming / Re: What's on your table right now?
« Last post by Bison on Today at 08:37:59 PM »
You're going to Origins to play wargames and you want Brant to bring Steampunk Munchkin? 
Wargaming / Re: No Reteat Series
« Last post by Rekim on Today at 08:20:55 PM »
This snippet is from the first page of The Russian Front rulebook;

The five counters on the next-to-last row of round game
pieces are used in the Solitaire Module published in issue
#26 of C3i Magazine, also available on this game’s topic page
on www.gmtgames.com.

The solitaire module mentioned above is an AI system for TRF. Playing with the solitaire module it isn't strictly a matter of best-effort with playing both sides. I gave it a quick try once but not enough to get a good impression. 2 player games were a blast. 
Wargaming / Re: What's on your table right now?
« Last post by bbmike on Today at 07:54:12 PM »
^Bring it to Origins!  :-"
"The Goddamn war will be over before we get out there, won't it Private Pyle!"

I do. Gotta get the game first :)

Try to get it before the war ends.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10