Nightfighter - Anyone wanna play?

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, October 26, 2015, 07:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Scan hex 0725. Move fighter to hex 0924, no final turn.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

Nothing in the radar cone.  Sweep indicates north.

Turn 15.  I've moved the last bomber.  You can move your fighter and radar again.

Staggerwing

So, if I'm finally getting a glimmer of how this works, the bomber has to be approx on or north of the red lines on the attached screenie and will be on or north of the green lines when you move again. If not then I'm pretty hopeless:

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Silent Disapproval Robot

Correct.  Also, the sweep marker that I've placed directly to the north of the radar search marker has to be placed so that it's as close to the bomber (in number of hexes) as possible.  The bomber does get to move again before you can conduct your next radar search so it's possible that it could reach the green lines if it was just out of radar range.  Remember the last bomber entered the map as early as turn 10 and moves 3 hexes per turn (2 on the first turn it enters the map because it costs 1MP to move onto the map) so it could be as far south as column 17 by turn 15.

Staggerwing

OK then. Scan hex 1216 and move/turn fighter until it gets to hex 0723 facing N

Silent Disapproval Robot

Got a contact in the radar cone.

Turn 16.  Bomber has moved.

Staggerwing

OK, Fighter forward 1, R, forward 4, R, ending in the hex 1020 facing SE. Radar search in hex 0920.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Your radar has a contact.  You can make a tally roll if you want.

Staggerwing

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 4, total 4[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 1, total 1[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5[/blockquote]

Silent Disapproval Robot

No tally.

Turn 17.  I've moved my bomber.  You can move the fighter and the radar search.

BanzaiCat

Is it always this difficult to succeed at a tally roll?

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yes, locating a bomber in this scenario is a challenge.  The visibility in this scenario isn't great.  In order for Stagger to have any chance of spotting a bomber, he has to be in the same hex as it.  That's the real limiting factor.  Each bomber has a number from 1-6 assigned to it and one of Stagger's tally dice must match that number in order for him to successfully tally it.  So basically he has to be in the same hex as the bomber and then he's got a 50/50 chance of seeing it as he gets 3 dice to roll.  In most of these tally rolls he's attempting, there isn't a bomber in the hex with him so there's nothing to tally.  The game rules leave the choice of rolling a tally check up to the nightfighter player in order to preserve ambiguity.  If I only called for tally rolls when Stagger was in the same hex as a bomber, it would make it too easy to discern their location and kill them.

Staggerwing

Sorry, I've been away attending continuing ed credits in-services all day. I'll plot my next move after I make the kids some dinner.

Staggerwing

Scan hex 1424, move fighter to hex 1222 facing SW.