Ironwolf VR - its Silent Hunter in a virtual environment!

Started by Jarhead0331, March 13, 2017, 11:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

This one looks really unique. Its this kind of innovation that makes VR an exciting technology. I'll be diving to periscope depth this evening if I can pull myself away from Ghost Recon Wildlands...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/552080/

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

It looks great except for the virtual drowning part.  :buck2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Could be rather intense when you reach virtual crush depth.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

Also, it's co-op.

Also, they recently released new code to make the stations playable for non-VR.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Although really, I don't understand why a mouse-look wouldn't work just as well for the 3D portions. Clearly those portions can be translated to 2D graphics (as their own gifs demonstrate), and they've designed each station to be very focused in what needs to be done where. Why not go ahead and make that part of the game non-VR, too? -- why create old-school Silent Service alternate gfx for those stations?  ???
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 03, 2017, 11:00:33 AM
Although really, I don't understand why a mouse-look wouldn't work just as well for the 3D portions. Clearly those portions can be translated to 2D graphics (as their own gifs demonstrate), and they've designed each station to be very focused in what needs to be done where. Why not go ahead and make that part of the game non-VR, too? -- why create old-school Silent Service alternate gfx for those stations?  ???

Without VR, there is no reason to play this over Silent Hunter, which is a superior submarine simulation, by far.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

Am I right in assuming you're the only guy here with VR jh?

jomni

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 03, 2017, 01:18:33 PM
Am I right in assuming you're the only guy here with VR jh?

Not sure...I think maybe one or two other bubbas around here might have a headset. I'd love to know too since there are some solid co-op games available and it would be great to connect.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

That drowning section actually looked proper scary.

No VR here. Too much wonga required currently.
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

VR makes me sick. No really. So I rather use a big ass hires screen with TrackIR.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 03, 2017, 11:05:59 AM

Without VR, there is no reason to play this over Silent Hunter, which is a superior submarine simulation, by far.

Oh, SH can do multiplayer co-op with everyone working together to run the boat?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 05, 2017, 08:03:01 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 03, 2017, 11:05:59 AM

Oh, SH can do multiplayer co-op with everyone working together to run the boat?

No. But so what? Ironwolf is so basic as a simulator (with only 2 rooms on the sub) that there isn't much to do anyway. So SH, where MP works with each player as part of a wolfpack in their own ship, is still superior to the Ironwolf experience.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog