So better stay away from Steel Beasts dongles

Started by RyanE, December 06, 2016, 10:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeGER

lately at eSim's customer support

the "Dongle Nazi"  :DD

...well, i was always on the fence about SB for a long long time ...tell you something. Now I, your very horder, start looking for a pirated copy  >:D if (brownnosy fanyboy Asid's occasional) threads here manage to get me mildly interested in that timesink of a tank study sim now and then again anyway

if niche niche niche grognard (grogheads) customers been seen as buccaneers upfront what ever straight biz-relation they had anyway ...so gents why bother with a valid purchase, it makes no difference

Asid

Quote from: MikeGER on December 08, 2016, 04:02:53 AM

...well, i was always on the fence about SB for a long long time ...tell you something. Now I, your very horder, start looking for a pirated copy  >:D if (brownnosy fanyboy Asid's occasional) threads here manage to get me mildly interested in that timesink of a tank study sim now and then again anyway

if niche niche niche grognard (grogheads) customers been seen as buccaneers upfront what ever straight biz-relation they had anyway ...so gents why bother with a valid purchase, it makes no difference

Excellent post MikeGer

Good of you to label someone in such a way, who enjoys a game and helps people who have problems with it. Not to mention advocating piracy. Nazi? Really?

It is a good job that I constantly point people to Grogheads and encourage them to visit here just so they can read comments like this.

Regards
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

JudgeDredd

...well, i was always on the fence about SB for a long long time ...tell you something. Now I, your very horder, start looking for a pirated copy  >:D if (brownnosy fanyboy the ever helpful Asid's occasional) threads here manage to get me mildly interested in that timesink of a tank study sim now and then again anyway

Fixed that for you MikeGER  O0
Alba gu' brath

RyanE

I want to emphasize that Ssnake keeps talking about finding a solution or offering flexibility.  I have no idea what he is talking about.  The only offer EVER presented to me by email was $125 for a new gongle or $40/yr for the subscription-based license.

I think he is trying to run some kind of PR campaign to save face by making it look there is some kind of back channel deal in the works with me.  There isn't.  I haven't heard from him in a while by email.  So anyone that has the impression that esims is suddenly seeing the light on this issue should disabuse themselves of that thought.

Interestingly, I called a friend at my old company, which we sold to GE, about how they handle IP protection now.  He said they abandoned the dongle strategy a couple years ago and went with a software solution.  He said they were having to replace too many dongles and customers hated them.  I personally don't mind the dongle.  But I do mind poor and inflexible customer service.  I think too many people associate poor customer service and poor implementation with DRM.  DRM, if done right and supported correctly, can be pretty unintrusive.

I have always felt that esims thinks we should treat their support of the gamers' version of SB as a privilege.  But I guarantee when those military contracts start to dry up, you'll see a sudden shift in focus to develop the game for the game market.  Face it; we are second class citizens at esims.

RyanE

So now, over on SimHQ, Ssnake is suddenly talking about emailing him to negotiate.  He complains about the "smear' campaign I am running.  Him and couple of his "loyalists" over there seem to think I am extorting him.  I have asked him to go ahead and post the emails between us, yet he still hasn't.  The only reason he is suddenly willing to "negotiate" is the public pressure I am sure he is feeling.

Does anyone think he would be suddenly be willing to talk if I hadn't started this thread.  His two emails to me were basically sorry, its against the rules.  I am going to give it another week on the luggage and see if it shows up.  Frankly, I didn't think this would be that big of a deal.  Part of the issue, personally, is I was shocked at the hardline in esims initial email response.  One thing I am not doing, is giving him another $125, now or over a few years.

Tuna

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 08, 2016, 05:22:01 AM

...well, i was always on the fence about SB for a long long time ...tell you something. Now I, your very horder, start looking for a pirated copy  >:D if (brownnosy fanyboy the ever helpful Asid's occasional) threads here manage to get me mildly interested in that timesink of a tank study sim now and then again anyway

Fixed that for you MikeGER  O0

O0 O0

Yskonyn

The part I still do not understand is why RyanE could not be presented with a 'coulance'-deal when presenting proof of purchase in the first place?

Is the source code of the PE version something of a secret as well?

He bought the software and several upgrades. That's not hard to verify, me thinks. And if proof can be presented why not offer a replacement dongle for the replacement costs as outlined by Ssnake?

If eSim is worried about this lost dongle being in the wild in relation to piracy, I tend to ask myself what are the chances?
I understand the blacklisting alone will not guarantee the dongle being cut off from enabling someone to run the software who doesnt own it, but if the average joe finds the dongle and he looks to see whats on it I think the chances are very high that it will not make any sense and the dongle gets discarded.

Yet, the current dissatisfaction has escalated quite a bit on here and -now it seems- will continue on SimHQ. In hindsight wouldn't this chance be infinitely higher to begin with?

To be honest, if it were me I would be quite unhappy as well. I can also see eSims point about rules and such, but I miss the 'human factor' in this approach.
Especially since it is hard to grasp for me why its such a big deal to send a replacement to a verified customer. And I sense this is what is unsatisfactory to RyanE as well.

The needless and uncalled for aggression towards Asid has to stop, though.  :knuppel2:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

bboyer66

Quote from: Asid on December 08, 2016, 05:06:47 AM

Excellent post MikeGer

Good of you to label someone in such a way, who enjoys a game and helps people who have problems with it. Not to mention advocating piracy. Nazi? Really?

It is a good job that I constantly point people to Grogheads and encourage them to visit here just so they can read comments like this.

Regards

I'm guessing Asaid has never seen Seinfeld  >:D

JudgeDredd

Exactly - the fact that he's on record as being a client - a long standing client by all accounts - should make a company give some leeway - but as I said, some companies are absolutely adamant that clients are out there to rip them off - and as soon as they started taking that stance, they were never going to be putting the client first.

Give the guy a new dongle, block the old one and if it does actually get de-activated - great. If it doesn't...what's that? One client out there using the software illegally? It's a dongle - so it could only EVER be used by one person illegally. wow. For looking after a long term client, isn't that a minute problem? But if you're going to assume the guy has given it to his mate to use, then yeah - you're never really going to help that client out, are you?

It's all down to how you perceive your clients.

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 08, 2016, 07:43:58 AM
The needless and uncalled for aggression towards Asid has to stop, though.  :knuppel2:
+100  O0
Alba gu' brath

mirth

Quote from: bboyer66 on December 08, 2016, 08:31:03 AM
I'm guessing Asaid has never seen Seinfeld  >:D

Can you imagine what they would have done for a Dongle episode?  :D
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Con

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Don_prince

@RyanE please discus these manners with Esims, the forum is not the right place for this. We know your situation is unfortunate, we cant do anything about it, Esims have their rules and policys they have to stick to, the only thing you can reach here is generate hate for esims, there is no point in continuing this. I would have solved it different but my oppinion does not matter here, no ones does. It only generates hate.

@MikeGer, distastefull and destructive comment sir, Please refrain from using language like that. No point in bashing at other members trying to explain things and be helpfull. This is not the first time I have seen you do this. I am about done with you and so are others. Bloody disgrace...

mirth

Quote from: Don_prince on December 08, 2016, 10:33:21 AM
@RyanE please discus these manners with Esims, the forum is not the right place for this.

Actually, as an independent gaming site, these forums are a perfectly fine place to discuss it. I am glad Ryan brought it up here.

bbmike

+1 Yes, I'm also glad this was posted here. Customer service (or lack of) is very important to me as are DRM issues.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak