2016 Running Football Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, February 28, 2016, 06:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on December 05, 2016, 08:02:41 PM
Here's what I'd like to see, the Power 5 coming to consensus on 64 teams and then dividing into 4 conferences of two 8 team divisions.  At the end of the year, the four Conference Championship games would determine who plays in the 4 team playoff.  Easy squeezy.

The only way that happens is if the Big XII implodes, and if they do, it's b/c Texas are too big for their britches.  If that happens, it's entirely likely no one wants to take Texas and they up as an independent w/ BYU
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Remember that it's not all about football, either.  The ACC isn't going to break up the basketball, baseball, or soccer leagues no matter what kind of money gets thrown at football for them.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

That's the funny thing about money, you have enough of it, you can get almost anyone to agree to almost anything.  And I'm not asking for anything radical.  Yes, the 12 would have to go, but, you take some into the 10 and some into the Pac 12.  Add a couple to the ACC and SEC and make things geographically make sense.  Yeah, YOU won't like it, but twenty years from now, the next generation will praise your foresight.

@Bison: you already have FBS teams not making the playoffs and bitching.  It's what I said upthread, the Power 5 KNEW that one of their number would always be left out.  And if you make the 4 super conferences, cap it at 64.  Every other NCAA school will be a level below.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

OJsDad

Quote from: MetalDog on December 05, 2016, 08:45:12 PM
And if you make the 4 super conferences, cap it at 64.  Every other NCAA school will be a level below.

1.  There's probably not more than 30 teams that ever going to be relevant. 

2.  You can use relegation like in English soccer to determine who's in the top 64.

This would only have apply to football.  All other sports can stay the same with the conferences they're in.   
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

The 64 nod is to keeping the dregs of each conference, the Cal's, Purdue's, most of the Big 12, Vanderbilt's, Wake Forest's, etc. in the mix.  I have no problem with relegation.  I'd really like that, actually.

OJsDad

I'm not apposed to 64 teams.  Didn't mean to imply that. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

Not at all.  I'd really like to see them keep the conference names.  Maybe with a little modification: Pacific Conference, Midwest Conference, Southeastern Conference and Atlantic Conference.  And the cynical amongst you might point out that the only conference name I kept was my SEC, but, two already had geographic identifiers and what else can you call the Big 10/Big 12 mashup?  The Big 16?

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on December 05, 2016, 08:45:12 PM
@Bison: you already have FBS teams not making the playoffs and bitching.  It's what I said upthread, the Power 5 KNEW that one of their number would always be left out.  And if you make the 4 super conferences, cap it at 64.  Every other NCAA school will be a level below.

I was actually referring to the fact that someone would have to tell schools like Ohio, Toledo, Central Florida that they did not make the cut for the new FBS divisions not being left out of playoff consideration.  I don't think the schools, administration, or fans would appreciate the down grade.

I do think that the NCAA needs to look at regional realignment of conferences.  I don't think super conferences are any better or worse than smaller regionally aligned conferences.

MetalDog

Ohio, Toledo, Central Florida, et al, got automatic downgrades when the Power 5 made their deal.  They are still FBS, but, they mean less than nothing to the Championship chase.  I understand what you're getting at, they don't want to be told they are Division II or III, but for all intents and purposes they are that now as they don't belong to a Power 5 Conference.  And if you make the 16 team super conferences two divisions of 8, aligned geographically, you could promote each division as its own regional "conference."  Keep interest up and narrow focus.

Bison

I think the issue is simply money.  The bowl system is a revenue stream that I'm pretty sure the Division II playoff system doesn't even compare too.  So its most likely more financially advantage for Toledo to play in the Idaho Potato Bowl than advancing to a semi-final or final game in DII.

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

MetalDog

Keith Jackson.  Brent Musburger.  Verne Lundquist.  College football has been blessed with some great voices.  Although, Verne has stuck around maybe a season or two too long.  I'm embarrassed for him nowadays when he repeatedly makes mistakes in his calls.  He will definitely be missed.  I think I remember hearing that he will still call Augusta.

OJsDad

He's respected enough that ESPN had him on College Game Day this fall as a guest game picker. 

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on December 07, 2016, 08:56:57 PMI think I remember hearing that he will still call Augusta.

he's still doing Augusta and some NCAA tournament games.

he's also calling Army-Navy this week, which will be his last football game.