Which RPGs Would You Rather Play On The Forum

Started by Nefaro, October 11, 2018, 02:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

I'm back in the planning stages for a play-by-post forum RPG session.

I've narrowed down the options to some of the more seasonal themes, being October, but also threw in a couple other dark/grim themed games on top of the horror-investigation & monster hunting ones.  I mean... I'm always up for a decent cyberpunk romp if everyone isn't up for the horror stuff.  :coolsmiley:

The PbtA, i.e. "Powered by the Apocalypse", ones are probably the quickest to teach & get running.  Not to mention each character type has their own character sheet on which the player can read & choose all the character creation options on which is pretty handy.  Anyone familiar with Dungeon World, Apocalypse World, or many of the others using the PbtA system would be familiar.

The Savage Worlds system in Deadlands Reloaded uses a deck of poker cards for a few things, aside from the usual RPG dice.  Such as determining initiative, gun duels, and huckster magic.  I'll have to use an outside source to digitally deal cards to you guys, or just use my own.  Either way, the card deals will have to be done on my end and the results posted via text or screenshot in the forum game.  Shouldn't be a big deal.  Get it?   :))

Vote for two you're interested in.  Or vote for one you really want and pick "none" for emphasis.  I'll leave this running a few days before studying up on the chosen one.  I'll break any ties for lead.

I hope to eventually do at least one session for most on this list.  Gotta start somewhere, however.

Yskonyn

Not much into horror stuff, but Grim and Perilous or a Cyberpunk setting would definately tickle my ticksticles. 😜
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 11, 2018, 07:32:38 AM
Not much into horror stuff, but Grim and Perilous or a Cyberpunk setting would definately tickle my ticksticles. 😜

I think the cyberpunk one would be much easier to run than most of the others (except maybe Monster of the Week).  Just wondering if many would be interested in the genre.  As with most PbtA based games it encourages more player involvement in the world-building as you go.  Lotsa potential without a bunch of boggy minutiae.

Wouldn't mind waiting until the new Zweihander expansion & such ships before jumping into that one.  Although the core book already has a huge amount of content so it's not necessary to wait.

airboy

I tried to get a CoC game going and failed.  I have a scenario I ran that has extensive visuals that would work.

Although we are limited to two choices, I'm willing to give anything a try as long as it does not involve skype.

Nefaro

Quote from: airboy on October 11, 2018, 04:28:30 PM
I tried to get a CoC game going and failed.  I have a scenario I ran that has extensive visuals that would work.

Although we are limited to two choices, I'm willing to give anything a try as long as it does not involve skype.

With all the problems of getting people together at specific times, for long stretches, I thought it best to just do some play-by-post here.  That way everyone can get to it at a fairly leisurely pace without having to schedule real-time sessions.

I think a CoC game would be fine, although it's not my first choice to run myself.  I'll keep an eye out for any future one you propose now that I've got more free time lately.   \m/

Yskonyn

Nef IF its going to be a Cyberpunk setting which ruleset will you be using?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Dammit Carl!

Cast my votes but having said that, I'd be down for pretty much anything.

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 12, 2018, 04:13:26 AM
Nef IF its going to be a Cyberpunk setting which ruleset will you be using?

Probably the one mentioned above, The Sprawl.    ~~>  https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/171286/The-Sprawl----MIDNIGHT

Alternatively, I could substitute Interface Zero 2.0 for either the Savage Worlds system or Fate Core.  Interface Zero 2.0 differs in that it has a bit more fantasy to it regarding psionic abilities, but it's still pretty great.  Really just up to which flavor of cyberpunk is preferred, along with game system.

I added IFZ2.0 option to poll if you'd prefer that one.  Vote!

Yskonyn

Have you ever heard of Alpha and Omega?
It was a labour of love by a very small studio. Their rulebook and first supplement got released but they went under quickly afterwards.
It's a very cool dystopian universe setting with gorgeous graphics and the coolest part is that its magic system is pretty much boundless.
If you'd like to know more drop me a PM and I can hook you up.

Double Deuce

I voted Zweihander but might be up for something Savage Worlds although to be honest, I'm not really a fan of Steampunk/cyberpunk stuff.

Just curious, with Savage Worlds, how were you planning to handle opposed rolls and soak stuff where the PC gets to act before the result is confirmed?

Yskonyn

Ok I missed the poll at the top. Voted now.
With Zweihander and Conan at in the list my choice is made pretty easy! One of them of course! With a slight preference for Conan. :smitten:

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 15, 2018, 04:07:22 AM
With a slight preference for Conan. :smitten:

Aye, by Crom!

(oops...hinted at my vote there  ;) )

Nefaro

Quote from: Double Deuce on October 15, 2018, 03:29:48 AM
I voted Zweihander but might be up for something Savage Worlds although to be honest, I'm not really a fan of Steampunk/cyberpunk stuff.

Just curious, with Savage Worlds, how were you planning to handle opposed rolls and soak stuff where the PC gets to act before the result is confirmed?

Most RPGs have opposed rolls these days, along with some multi-stage options during die roll resolutions. 

I'll examine the specifics more closely once I get an idea of which we want to start with.  But for such things there is often probably more than one way to skin a cat. 

If needing to speed it up, the player can always make both rolls at once, doing both their own and any NPC opposition's roll, after the numerical details are stated up front.  With the forum dice roller, it should be quick & easy.  Likewise, (potential) damage can be rolled at the same time as every attack. 

A similar situation exists in many games which have optional point/token spends to help players mitigate bad dice rolls and cram risk/reward gambits into the mechanics at their choosing.  Such as 2d20's Momentum & Doom pools, Savage World's "Bennies", and ye olde WFRP-style Fate points in Zweihander.   We'll just have to remember to opt using them before (no extra step) or after a roll (extra step).  Also of extra note:  the extra successes that can be spent doing extra or fancy stuff after each roll (in SW & especially Conan).  I think that is where the most common case will be, but it's also pretty cool especially when players start freewheeling cinematic suggestions with it.

While I'd like to keep PbP as streamlined as possible, I also don't want to cut any major facet out.  So when in doubt we'll just take the extra step and I'll attempt to consolidate replies in order to have multiple players making decisions each time.  That said, I'll drill down deeper once we got a specific one nailed down.   :bd:

Nefaro

Thus far, it looks like Conan and Zweihander are at the top of the list.

Will leave the poll up awhile longer, but will start getting up to speed on one of those.

Nefaro

Although Conan has a very nice online character generator for players, I'm leaning towards Zweihander if only because the core mechanic requires less back & forth. 

I would normally much prefer the 2d20 system to the olde d100 system, but it requires more interaction due to the extra success & point spends involved in each roll.  Was still tempted to run it, but being a PbP game I think Zweihander would be more ideal to keep things moving faster. 

Unless more of you would prefer Conan over Zweihander?  I mean.. we'd still save a lot of time with Conan in being able to create your own characters online, as opposed to having to make a pile of random die rolls to create your Zwei characters (gonna have you make 2, choose one to start with and keep the other as backup).     

Preferences between the two?