Six Days in October -- A "Le Vol de L'Aigle" Forum Kriegsspiel

Started by Cyrano, September 07, 2016, 09:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

It's the beginning of October 1806.

On one side of the Thuringian Forest are the forces of the King of Prussia.  An army that gave the Battle of Austerlitz a miss a little under a year earlier and had begun to smart under a series of indignities -- real and perceived -- from the victorious Emperor of the French.

On the other side of the forest was Napoleon I, more than aware of the Prussian resentment, not to mention mobilization, and preparing to strike north before the prevaricating Prussians could fully prepare for war.

What followed was the campaign of Jena-Auerstadt that ended in the shattering of the Prussian army and kingdom and, coupled with the 1807 campaigns further East, cemented Napoleon's version of peace in Europe until his ill-considered journey into Russia in 1812.

As a sidebar to the series of articles I'm writing for the Mythical Front Page (tm), I had thought to run a kriegsspiel of the 1806 campaign, via this forum, using Pratzen Edition's "Le Vol de L'Aigle" rules, volume I.  This is the short operational system that places an emphasis on maneuver, reconnaissance, and, yes, the logistics, if simplified, of Napoleonic warfare.  Participants will be corps commanders with someone being selected to be both a corps commander and either Napoleon or the Prussian commander Hohenlohe.  I have run this system for Napoleonic tyros and veterans and both groups found they provided a comprehensible, only moderately complicated, and satisfying experience.  Turns are not hard things to submit and I'm going to try to adopt the relatively leisurely pace of two turns per week.

If you're interested, I'd ask you to shout out here.  If you have a preference of side, please say so.  If you have a preference as to commander, you have my admiration, and please say so.

In the meanwhile, I look forward to both running this game and seeing you all out on the battlefield!

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

panzerde

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Barthheart

Bah! On the forum main page all that shows of yer title is Six days in October...
I thought you were going to run a Arab-Israeli wars PBF.  :(

But maybe, just maybe, you can convince me to give this Nappy stuff a try....

JasonPratt

Speaking as someone who was kind of crushed that it's impossible (currently, and probably permanently) to play a full fog Campaigns on the Danube email game, allow me to volunteer as corps commander. No preference as to side.

However, despite our similar names I'm not familiar with the game rules.  :buck2: ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

James Sterrett

Cyrano

A most excellent start and, knowing well that Vance will join this merry company, at least we begin with an even number!!

Also, to borrow from the event guide chestnut and allay Mssr. Pratt's fears:  Rules will be taught!

Leaving the door wide so that others may join :D.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Barthheart

Yes I am in... and burden me with some Prussians if you must....
Now I'm off to learn some history.  8)

MetalDog

If you run in to an odd number, you may count me in.  Three things though:

1) I don't have a preference for side

2) I don't have the foggiest, vague idea of what would be required of me

and

3) I will need enough lead time to do some research

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

panzerde

Cyrano

Those particular tools were swiped ages ago.

(I also intend to heed his caution re: having anyone below the level of corps commander!!)

Great piece.

panzerde

I think I've recruited one, possibly two more players. I also ordered a copy of Le Vol de L'Aigle for myself, since you think so highly of the system, Jim.

I also grabbed the Vassal module for it, which looked interesting.

Cyrano

Hoorah!

I'd love to end up at eight.

And let me be clear, Vol. I is wondrous.  I'm OK with II.  Three, well, Dr. Rouy really kinda took it straight off the rails for me.

This KS will be run using Vol. I for the sheer efficiency of it all...

I'm roping my lady-wife into the "creating layers in Adobe" thing.

Pinetree

If you need another person with a high level of incompetence, I'm your man!
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

JasonPratt

Quote from: Pinetree on September 12, 2016, 01:19:25 AM
If you need another person with a high level of incompetence, I'm your man!

Just like real 19th century warfare command!  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Cyrano

All right.

Doug's winding up a few others and I've not quite finished promoting (looking to the end of the week) but what I see so far:

Barthheart
Blackhorse
Bob
Dom
Double Deuce
Duke of Earl
James Sterrett
JasonPratt
Lancer4321
Leg22
MetalDog
PanzerDe
Pinetree
Tobias Archer
UCG

Which would be a fine group, let me say.

I puzzle as to whiskey the actual foxtrot Brant is doing, but I move on.

I will randomize sides, set up an e-mail list, and get things under way this weekend.

Best,

Jim