Tweezers, forceps, and tongs

Started by Philippe, October 05, 2019, 01:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

In my younger days I always used the Mark I finger.

While I haven't gotten that much less dextrous over the years, I've begun to explore new ways of doing things. 

My forays into counter-clipping have turned me into a veritable moyle (2mm Oregon Laminated deluxe model), and I've lost my virginity to dice towers.

I'm now trying to figure out what else I should be looking into.

I've scavenged a pair of coated tweezers from a computer repair kit, but I've seen photographs of some fairly interesting examples that look about six inches long with wide and angled heads.

What are people using, what can they recommend, and what should I avoid?

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Geezer

I tried tweezers but didn't like them.  Never clipped counters or used a dice tower.  Those things are for pussies.  If God didn't want you to use your fingers he wouldn't have given them to you!   :DD
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Barthheart

Quote from: Geezer on October 05, 2019, 01:31:12 PM
I tried tweezers but didn't like them.  Never clipped counters or used a dice tower.  Those things are for pussies.  If God didn't want you to use your fingers he wouldn't have given them to you!   :DD

QFT... except the dice tower part.. I built my own.

W8taminute

I like to use tweezers as I've found in my older age that my fingers tend to bump into adjacent units causing such a mess on the battlefield.  Here is what I use but keep in mind it's very extreme.  (Suits my personality and gives me more tweezer to steady my hands.)

https://www.amazon.com/BinaryABC-Stainless-Straight-Nippers-Tweezers/dp/B06XFSR4FB/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=reptile+tweezers&qid=1570313857&sr=8-11

I don't use a dice tower but prefer a cup and dice tray and I don't believe in counter clipping.  Just my personal preferences however. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Crossroads

Heathen!
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Barthheart

Quote from: Crossroads on October 06, 2019, 08:08:59 AM
Heathen!

You, Sir, are the fallen one.

McMaster

Philippe

And we haven't even starting talking about plexiglas yet...
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Barthheart

Quote from: Philippe on October 07, 2019, 05:07:27 PM

Definitely for paper maps. 3 mm is plenty thick. See if you can get non-glare coating, costs more but worth it.

solops

I have some of my maps laminated. Then there is no wear and tear, no spill damage and I can draw on them with grease pencils. All after I have clipped my counters, of course.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Geezer

Yup, I have plexiglass of various sizes for covering my maps.  Well worth it.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Crossroads

Quote from: Barthheart on October 06, 2019, 08:22:41 AM
Heathen!

He that is without ever having clipped a counter to cast the first stone!

Quote from: Philippe on October 07, 2019, 05:07:27 PM

... in which case I'd just hide behind my plexiglass shield  O:-) :smitten:

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Barthheart

Quote from: Crossroads on October 09, 2019, 12:06:06 PM
Heathen!

And that person is I, for I have never mangled a counter from it's true square cornered form.

Crossroads

Quote from: Barthheart on October 09, 2019, 01:14:10 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on October 09, 2019, 12:06:06 PM
Heathen!

And that person is I, for I have never mangled a counter from it's true square cornered form.
A principled gentlemen you are, Sir :clap:

... too bad about the counters though :coolsmiley:

Barthheart