This Weekend's Feature: A Review of Colonial Conquest

Started by bayonetbrant, August 29, 2015, 04:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sir Slash

Great review Cyrano. Thank you for the honest look under the hood.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Boggit

I liked your review too. O0

Thinking about the CC, it looks broadly comparable to a "Risk" type style of game. Lux Deluxe springs to mind, which I'd argue is better choice for players for being much more flexible, although CC looks prettier.  In Lux Deluxe many different aspects of the game can be configured, including different AI player behaviours, to suit a player's preferences. Also, many different wars and conflicts can be played out due to the map editor, although the core mechanics - depending on the game configuration remain much the same. The other nice thing about LD, is that there is a massive choice of user developed maps. If I had to choose between the two games I'd go for Lux Deluxe, given they cost about the same.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Cyrano

Thanks to you both.

It's not a bad game, but, as, apparently, even the designers acknowledge, there's a spot of work to be done before it's ready for prime time.  I credit them for acknowledging that and pressing ahead.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat