Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Toonces

Alright, I might have to suck it up and get this game playable.  I re-installed it last weekend, but I haven't updated any of my numerous modules yet.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on October 18, 2018, 07:49:23 PM
Alright, I might have to suck it up and get this game playable.  I re-installed it last weekend, but I haven't updated any of my numerous modules yet.

I downloaded most of my modules this week. 

Still have yet to set the dozens of button commands for each one in the newly updated keybind system.  Plus still have to install & customize my TrackIR, SimpleRadio, and TacView.  I think that's all of it.   :))  The module downloading is the easy part.

Toonces

I've never even installed most of the modules I purchased.  I know I have the Mi-8 and Huey and I've never installed those.  I'd really like to learn the MiG-21...I think I logged about 20 minutes of flight time on that since I bought it a couple of years ago.   ::)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

jomni

All this talk makes me want to install.  I'm concentrating on the F-15 and will fight all urge to learn other planes.

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on October 18, 2018, 09:17:27 PM
I've never even installed most of the modules I purchased.  I know I have the Mi-8 and Huey and I've never installed those.  I'd really like to learn the MiG-21...I think I logged about 20 minutes of flight time on that since I bought it a couple of years ago.   ::)

The MiG-21 is a tough one to get good at BFM. 

Although it's best IR missile option, the R-60M, is much more capable in dogfights, albeit shorter ranged than the F-5's AIM-9P5, you need a good "feel" for the MiG when maneuvering hard.   

With no force feedback these days, and no inertial sense, it can be difficult to tell when your aircraft's AoA is too high or you're at the edge of stall speed without having to constantly glance at your instruments or HUD.  Which sucks in a dogfight because you regularly take your eyes off your enemy and have to reacquire after glancing at your situation. 

Unfortunately for Mister Fishbed, it departs controlled flight with practically no visual indicator.  Especially when you're looking up & out of the glass at another aircraft.  While trying to memorize what little visual & sound cues it gives for approaching that point, I have to keep looking at it's AoA gauge at the top right of the front panel while pulling Gs, and preferably check the speed gauge (on the left) to try and hold a somewhat efficient turn speed.  The MiG-21 already has a terrible fov from the cockpit so losing sight of your man is a big problem in this case.

TL;DR

The MiG-21 is probably the toughest DCS aircraft to learn dogfighting in, and will give you little indication you're falling out of the sky if you're not careful.  However, it can be such a difference experience & very rewarding to get gud at.  There's just something attractive in how raw it is;  kinda like flying a supersonic old speedster that's still set up with WW2-era cockpit tech.

mikeck

How about the UH-1 or BlackShark? Are the helicopters tough to learn? Compared to the planes I mean
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on October 20, 2018, 06:18:47 PM
How about the UH-1 or BlackShark? Are the helicopters tough to learn? Compared to the planes I mean

I think overall the systems in helos are easier to learn. They tend to be lower tech and less complex. The Black Shark was manageable in chunks for me. I took it one system at a time. Now, learning to fly them...that's a different story. Just keeping them in controlled flight is a challenge...at least for me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jomni

Actually, the A-10C is great.  I mastered it once.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 20, 2018, 06:45:53 PM

I think overall the systems in helos are easier to learn. They tend to be lower tech and less complex. The Black Shark was manageable in chunks for me. I took it one system at a time. Now, learning to fly them...that's a different story. Just keeping them in controlled flight is a challenge...at least for me.
Yep - they're a nightmare. BS, Gazelle, Huey is nigh on impossible for me once it gets close to the ground (take off or landing). Black Shark is a cracking module mind - but all it did was make me desperately want an Apache.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Cool!

Funny fact: I first thought I had opened the Combat Mission thread. First sentence I see is : "Community A-4E is released!"
Which triggers the following response in my head: "Huh? So the community was tired of waiting and made a patch for CMx2 Engine 4 themselves??"

followed by:

"Er.. what's up with the way they have designated the patch... Oh there's a picture coming below! Ah, ok. Not CM at all. Crap! But no! This actually is very cool! Yay a Skyhawk!"

:DD

It's early. Need coffee.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Makes me wonder if it going to be Caucasus only.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Also thought they mentioned their upcoming campaign system would work for multi-player servers.  I'd be  :smitten: