Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

I played a Seleucid Campaign to about mid-game. Very tough start as I recall with most of your eastern provinces rebelling and not much you can do about it. You got Egypt to the south and Pontus to the north to watch like a hawk but to the west, some decent allies to help out. You're kind of the 'monkey-in-the-middle', think the Ottomans in ETW. And your phalanx troops aren't any better than anybody else cause they all got phalanxes. You've got a large empire but it's not united and there's a lot of ground to protect. Very tough. But fun. As far as reading goes, I was inspired to play the Seleucids after reading, "Ghost on the Throne" about the Successor Wars. Looking forward to a, 'Gus Plays'.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 29, 2017, 12:40:23 PM
I played a Seleucid Campaign to about mid-game. Very tough start as I recall with most of your eastern provinces rebelling and not much you can do about it. You got Egypt to the south and Pontus to the north to watch like a hawk but to the west, some decent allies to help out. You're kind of the 'monkey-in-the-middle', think the Ottomans in ETW. And your phalanx troops aren't any better than anybody else cause they all got phalanxes. You've got a large empire but it's not united and there's a lot of ground to protect. Very tough. But fun. As far as reading goes, I was inspired to play the Seleucids after reading, "Ghost on the Throne" about the Successor Wars. Looking forward to a, 'Gus Plays'.

I enjoyed Ghost on the Throne but it ended before getting very far into the Succession Wars.  Good at explaining some of the beginning though.  O0

Gusington

Anyone who can win as Epirus is a true master.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Quote from: Hofstadter on December 29, 2017, 03:28:46 AM
Caved and bought rome 2

Im so SICK of being a barbarian faction!
Sweet!  Allow me to recommend Pontus as your first faction.  8) 

Quote from: Nefaro on December 29, 2017, 12:01:22 PM
Quote from: Martok on December 29, 2017, 01:11:37 AM
Well my Carthage campaign has already been shot to hell. 

Less than four years in, the world suddenly went mad, with most of the known factions (and a few I hadn't even encountered yet) declaring war on each other.  Thanks to my client-states and an admittedly ill-advised defensive alliance with Epirus, I suddenly found myself at war with a half-dozen antagonists...including Rome.  They wasted no time in going after me, and immediately took Palermo (or whatever my settlement on western Sicily is called); I tried to rush reinforcements there, but the Romans intercepted & sank them.  Uff-da! 

Epirus?!  Are you mad!?

They're the worst start in the game.  Everyone dogpiles on Epirus early on.  Anyone nearby, early on, and it just keeps getting worse.  For some reason it's the most AI-loathed faction in the game, at the start.

Needless to say, don't play Epirus unless you're a Total War campaign masochist.
Hell no, I didn't play as Epirus!  I'm dumb, but I'm not *that* dumb.  :P 

I was, however, stupid enough to sign a defensive pact with them.  Don't ask me why (I blame fatigue -- it was around 2 a.m. when I received their diplomatic proposal).  I won't make that mistake again...  ::) 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Nefaro

Quote from: Martok on December 30, 2017, 03:16:43 AM

Hell no, I didn't play as Epirus!  I'm dumb, but I'm not *that* dumb.  :P 

I was, however, stupid enough to sign a defensive pact with them.  Don't ask me why (I blame fatigue -- it was around 2 a.m. when I received their diplomatic proposal).  I won't make that mistake again...  ::)

Same goes for allying with them.

Would be a nightmare!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

When you lose a battle because your general's unit wanders outside of your fortified camp by himself and gets surrounded & cut off...  Argh!  :tickedoff: 
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Gusington

^You're having a bad day!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Epirus: The Washington Generals of Rome 2.  :pullhair:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on December 31, 2017, 02:58:59 PM
^You're having a bad day!
Actually, my day was going pretty well until then.  Losing my general (and the battle) seemed to be the turning point -- the beginning of my ride down the fecal waterslide.  :buck2: 

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 31, 2017, 04:05:11 PM
Epirus: The Washington Generals of Rome 2.  :pullhair:
Heh.  You're not wrong! 

Jarhead0331

New Desert Kingdoms DLC!

The Desert Kingdoms Culture Pack introduces four new playable factions to Total War: ROME II. The Kingdoms of Kush, Saba and Nabatea fall under the African/Arabian subculture, while the Masaesyli are of Numidian origin.

These factions are native to the deserts of Africa and Arabia. Surviving these harsh environmental conditions has forged them into hardy warriors who use the shifting desert sands to their advantage in battle.

While culturally similar, each faction boasts unique new unit rosters which offer different military strengths. Each faction also has new building chains and technology trees, playing to their strengths and further differentiating their playstyles.

Alongside their individual Faction Traits, the Desert Kingdoms all share the following Cultural Traits:

Desert Warriors: Bonus to morale in desert battles and bonus income from agriculture
Deep-rooted Traditions: Penalty to research rate

http://store.steampowered.com/app/792520/Total_War_ROME_II__Desert_Kingdoms_Culture_Pack/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Weird that this is out now. I have been wanting to go  back to Rome 2 to play as the Iceni, but Warhammer has kept me from doing that. This looks good, for the right price.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Wow...I can't think of factions or an historical location I less interested in. But, to each their own and this is the type of stuff for which DLC is great
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on February 20, 2018, 07:18:07 PM
Wow...I can't think of factions or an historical location I less interested in. But, to each their own and this is the type of stuff for which DLC is great

I would be very interested in gaming Rome against the North Africans, no? I look at them as new civilizations to conquer!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 20, 2018, 07:28:07 PM
Quote from: mikeck on February 20, 2018, 07:18:07 PM

I would be very interested in gaming Rome against the North Africans, no? I look at them as new civilizations to conquer!

Sure. I'd play Rome against anyone. Just have no interest in playing THEM. Just me though. I know guys here like Gus have a particular interest in non-western history. I'm just whining
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson