The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on February 15, 2018, 09:01:33 PM
Anyone play Strike Suit Zero? 50% off at Steam.

I've got it. Its good...very Homeworld-esq, but I don't like the whole ship transformation thing. I just like playing as the ship. Look at the Director's Cut version too.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 15, 2018, 04:47:29 PM
X-Com 2 - might be time for a purchase.

Should I play and complete X-Com before moving to 2?

It kind of doesn't matter? XCom2 isn't really a sequel. It's an alternate version of the first game where instead of being sneaky murdering spies, the aliens study humans quietly enough to realize they can just take over publicly if they arrive and look nice. XCom is suspicious and still forms, but are quickly shut down in a raid because the aliens have convinced enough people they're here to be friendly. Your character in XC1 is captured in the process. The XC2 prologue (and the game generally) is set 20 years later when the aliens have more-or-less peacefully conquered the world, but your base commander has finally found your prison and mounts a rescue.

So instead of being the Green Berets vs the Viet Cong, you're the Viet Cong this time, so to speak. Or the Wolverines, whichever. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

I assume you should get the War of the Chosen DLC, too, while you're at it, which brings the game up to full spec from the designers.

Long War 2 is, unfortunately, incompatible with WotCho at a root level, so there are no plans by the LW team to incorporate the new changes. Whether other modders will succeed, I don't know yet. LW2 is a very legitimate upgrade to the base game, but is meant to be somewhat harder (although there are lots of tweaks to the options which can mitigate this.)

The two games compliment each other quite well, although XC2 is much easier to mod with Steam Workshop support. If you want to work your way up to mecha-robots and/or genetic supermen, go with XC1. If you want to be tasked with a timer on practically every dang mission (because the enemy will figure out you're there and start dropping reinforcements on you), go with XC2: your tech is more ad hoc, but it has its own fun.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JudgeDredd

Thanks Jason.

One reason I held off from XC2 was the timers. For some reason I thought I'd read/heard they'd gotten rid of the timers or there was a mod out...I'll go look.

Oh well - it was only £12 so I picked it up. Thanks.

As for WotC, no I haven't got it yet. It's 23% off, but too much at £25 for something where I haven't played the base game yet. I presume it doesn't change the base game but adds to it? Or does it change the base game (in which case it might be worth picking up now)
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

JP, to answer your question from the other AAR thread - no, I don't have Enemy Within.

If I added it now would it mess up my game? I mean, would you need to re-start a campaign to implement it or is it okay to bring it in, mid-game?

I'll probably hold off for now on it, but I'm just curious.

JasonPratt

I'm pretty sure save games between EU and EW are not compatible, sorry.  :-[

So, Toonces will not have his arms and legs chopped off to be given mech parts. And not in the game either.  :hide:

(I'm assuming you're much farther along than where the AAR currently is?)

JasonPratt

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 16, 2018, 01:39:32 AM
I presume it doesn't change the base game but adds to it? Or does it change the base game (in which case it might be worth picking up now)

I think it just adds moar kewl stuf, but I'm not sure -- I don't have it yet myself, being perfectly happy with LW2 and not having played that out yet.

There are mods that affect the timers, but not to remove them completely, or not last I checked. Last time I was playing, one of the more popular mods simply brings forward a researched leadership function later in the game, which defers the clock's countdown until your group gets detected, since arguably that should have been the original implementation. In some missions it makes sense that you would be trying to meet a deadline from the start, but on others the deadline shouldn't start before detection.

Gusington

Now buried under pounds of Pratt, but thanks JH for chiming in on Strike Suit Zero and the director's cut.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Philippe

What Remains of Edith Finch is on sale at Steam for $13 until the 19th.

It's not a wargame by any stretch of the imagination. It's also short, but it's length is appropriate for what it's is trying to do.

This is the only game I've ever played where I watched (and enjoyed) all the credits, because they were part of the experience.

If you come from a strange family from the Pacific Northwest, you won't want to miss this one.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Philippe

Concealed Intent is on sale at Steam for $5 until the 19th.

I haven't played it, but it appears to be an original take on turn-based combat in space that really is in three dimensions.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Huw the Poo

I would advise against Concealed Intent if you want to play multiplayer.  The developer made some pretty bloody questionable decisions in its implementation.  See this thread for our complaints and his frankly weird replies ("I didn't realise players would want to be able to view the previous turn" wtf).

Nefaro

Dungeons 2 is currently FREE

at GOG.com for a few more hours (~6 as of this posting)

Check the banner at top.

https://www.gog.com/

-budd-

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 17, 2018, 10:59:34 AM
I would advise against Concealed Intent if you want to play multiplayer.  The developer made some pretty bloody questionable decisions in its implementation.  See this thread for our complaints and his frankly weird replies ("I didn't realise players would want to be able to view the previous turn" wtf).

Picked this up during the sale, you can now view the previous turn in MP. Currently playing my first mp game, i did misunderstand and thought you could control more than one ship, it's 1vs1.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: -budd- on February 19, 2018, 01:03:47 PMyou can now view the previous turn in MP

Really?  That's odd; there's been no update since the request was put in.  Are you on a beta branch?  Apparently 1.3 is getting closer.

-budd-

Just finished my first MP game. I need to qualify that statement, while i could watch the replays during the game i didn't get to watch the final turn where i won.......WTF. The game disappears from the current games list and you cant load it from the old games list, that sucks. So i won but cant watch my victory at the end. I didn't switch to the beta branch, im going to look into it. I read where the 1.3 is long overdue do to the developers day job taking up his time.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.