Medieval Kingdom Wars?

Started by sandman2575, May 24, 2018, 09:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

Anyone play this? It's available for $10 on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/499660/Medieval_Kingdom_Wars/

I know you can't really go wrong for $10, but mostly wonder if this is worth picking up at all (...really trying to limit my 'buy but never wind up playing' Steam habit). Wonder just how Early it feels as an Early Access title -?

Jarhead0331

I haven't played it very much. All I can say is the developers are rock stars when it comes to supporting it. Very frequent updates.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

sandman2575

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 24, 2018, 10:15:44 AM
I haven't played it very much. All I can say is the developers are rock stars when it comes to supporting it. Very frequent updates.

That's an important consideration in picking up an EA title, for me anyways -- feeling reasonably certain that the game is not just going to languish in Early Access limbo for months and years.

Will prob get this then. Looks like an interesting combination of Knights of Honor and Med. Total War.

ArizonaTank

Thanks for pointing out....been on my wishlist.  Just purchased at 50% off
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

I have it too but have not played it but like JH says I have noticed at least a couple of updates per month.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Rayfer

I have only 3 hours in it so I've just scratched the surface.  It has similarities to the Total War games, but also difference, especially in the city building aspect of the game, that part is different.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FlickJax

keep it coming those who have played... still on fence here....

Grim.Reaper

It's only $10 and Steam has refunds.....if anyone had the slightest interest, think it would be worth the minor risk.....

Geezer

Here is a year old review on Youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbJy8-F7GtE

Edit - People on Steam either really love it or really hate it.  An odd mix of reviews as though they are not playing the same game.   ???
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Jarhead0331

I wouldn't rely on a year old review. This game is constantly updated and patched.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Geezer

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Rayfer

Quote from: Geezer on May 25, 2018, 07:17:02 AM
More recent gameplay video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK3SsiqEfUY

This video does a decent job demonstrating what the game is all about, from city upgrades to combat.

Gusington

This thread is moistening my loins for this game again.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Geezer

Here is a post with their upcoming development plans heading toward beta.  Note that Update #54 has already been implemented:

Hey Everyone,

With Beta milestone just three months away, MKW is shaping up into the Kingdom Wars game we always wanted to make. With nearly 55 updates and Summer finally here, it`s time to celebrate with a massive -50% off Weeklong Sale.

Here`s a nice video to introduce the game to the new players joining us today
https://youtu.be/uK3SsiqEfUY

And it`s just as well that we reveal or plans for the next 3 months, leading onto the Beta Milestone. Things are about to get very interesting as we nearing completion on several huge projects that`s been in the making for months. And as soon as we get through this, it`ll be time to rework and polish, including long overdue work on interface and combat.

So without further introduction lets take a look into production plans for the next four months. Bellow list only includes the biggest features of each update.

And if you have any questions or need clarifications - please don`t hesitate to ask:)

And so - off to work, to make this beautiful 4 months plan happen. Thanks for all your continuous support, and here`s to the Beta milestone.

SUMMER 2018 DEVELOPMENT ROADMAP

Update # 54
------------------------
ETA: Mid May
-Multiple armies in auto-resolve
-Various fixes on a dozen of bugs
-A lot of new music

Update # 55
------------------------
ETA: Late May
-Multiple armies in battle
-Various fixes on a dozen of current bugs
-New town: Norwich

Update # 56
------------------------
ETA: Mid June
-Direct X 11 - Part 1 - same visuals but improved performance
-Fixed various Direct X 9 related bugs
-New way to create armies with Lord or Adviser
-Tooltips for every single element of the Interface
-Building city walls on the worldmap
-Updated diplomacy features for minor lords
-Becoming the King, ruling as a King and hiring lords
-New diplomatic features as a King
-New town: Lisbon
-New terrain set: Forest

Update # 57
------------------------
ETA: Late June
-Direct X 11 - Part 2 - changing resolution in-game, windowed mode
-Major updates to World Map AI, friendly lord assistance, lords working together in attacks
-Major updates to World Map AI: no suicide attacks, looking for weaker points, ambushes
-CoOp battles with inviting another player or friends army
-New terrain set: Farmland
-New town: Cagliari

Update # 58
------------------------
ETA: Early July
-Direct X 11 - Part 3 - Various visual filters and visual improvements enabled
-Each nation get a roaster of unique troops, completely different from each nation
-Major updates to World Map AI, friendly lord assistance, lords working together in attacks
-PvP campaign battles, with another player or friend replacing AI in a battle
-New Advisers menu: Court Chaplain, introducing of Cards advantages on the world map and battle
-New terrain set: Southern Plains
-New town: Dublin

Update # 59
------------------------
ETA: Late July
-New Tutorial Campaign added with nearly 10 missions and a lot of world map gameplay. Fully voice acted
-Direct X 11 - Part 4 - Final visual improvements
-New Advisers menu: Merchant, introducing various trade features
-Final CoOp campaign features like sending resources
-Selecting color and banner for your troops

Update # 60
------------------------
ETA: Early August
-Major polishing update, with 50+ fixes across the board
-First polishing update to the interface
-Major update to pathfinding - battalions sticking together
-First of the quests added, various historical events
-Skirmish Menu redesigned

Update # 61
------------------------
ETA: Late August
-BETA MILESTONE
-Various player requested fixed and updates
-Work on balancing, improving starts
-Additional quests added, various historical events