Total War: Three Kingdoms

Started by Nefaro, January 10, 2018, 11:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

I downloaded a copy yesterday for £1.49 :-)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Toonces

What version and how is the formatting?  Link please.   :nerd:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

I need something...more. I wonder if there is just not that much translated to English. Which would be a shame because there's so much English language history available for Japan, etc.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Sir Slash

I'm not really into Romance books.  ::) Or games for that matter either. I like Wargames better. I'm wondering how much CA will bend-over to keep the Asian Market and the PC Police happy by including no negative images of a murderous war for Chinese supremacy. Maybe blame it all on 'Magic' or something. Still looking forward to some more info and videos.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

For me it will be another nail in the coffin if fantasy starts seeping into CA's historical titles. If the concept artists and "creative" types are allowed to take liberties away from historical advisors and accuracy. I hope they don't think that adding fantasy elements is "innovation". All speculation at the moment. Personally I hope they give the historical crowd more of what they want in terms of military systems and showing how battles were fought, options for strategy and placement. Like supply systems. Rather than hero generals who kill hundreds.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

Ah the age old argument of historical accuracy versus historical fantasy that has been raging around the TW games since the first Shogun game. I feel at home again.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

I want to see how they can deviate from Koei's rendition. So far the characters look like a copy of Koei. Though they are the same people, CA could have changed some things.  Look at the movie Red Cliff, same generals, but with different look and period-appropriate armour.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Anybody know a good well researched reference book on the tactics and formations of chinese armies of the period?
I mean something that does discount all the fantasy rhetoric and alleged perfection of the armies of the period and gives a fair dinkum objective study of the day.
For instance I would not read homer to get information on Hoplite tactics.

I have some old WRG book and three osprey books which are very outdated from when the west was first learning about this stuff.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

jomni

Quote from: Destraex on January 12, 2018, 03:03:49 AM
Anybody know a good well researched reference book on the tactics and formations of chinese armies of the period?
I mean something that does discount all the fantasy rhetoric and alleged perfection of the armies of the period and gives a fair dinkum objective study of the day.
For instance I would not read homer to get information on Hoplite tactics.

I have some old WRG book and three osprey books which are very outdated from when the west was first learning about this stuff.

Sun Tzu's Art of War?
...Or any English translation of the period-appropriate books in this list if they exist.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_military_texts

AchillesLastStand

I have interest in the game but don't care to much for the setting.

Would have preferred a pike and shot era title{1350-1700} or even a Medieval 3.
I understand though with a pike and shot era game CA would not have been able to use the copy/paste faction, they would have had to put much more effort into it.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Martok on January 10, 2018, 11:29:00 PM
YES!!!

:notworthy:

Ikr?!  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Now, if they're going to keep doing the "era" projects, too, then after (what amounts to) Viking Invasion 2 (which I am fully for), I'd like to see them turn eventually to the Levantine Microempire period (as in the classic Chariots of War from Matrix). Unit variety might not be great, but ditto for early Viking era Britain, too, so...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 12, 2018, 01:55:45 PM
Quote from: Martok on January 10, 2018, 11:29:00 PM
YES!!!

:notworthy:

Ikr?!  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Now, if they're going to keep doing the "era" projects, too, then after (what amounts to) Viking Invasion 2 (which I am fully for), I'd like to see them turn eventually to the Levantine Microempire period (as in the classic Chariots of War from Matrix). Unit variety might not be great, but ditto for early Viking era Britain, too, so...

dont get too carried away with Martok - if it has unlockable factions his moistness will soon dry up

Gusington

Drying loins is always a tragedy.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd