Total War: Three Kingdoms

Started by Nefaro, January 10, 2018, 11:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJReich46

Intrigued.

But how will they do the Battle of Chibi? The famous Battle of the Red Cliffs??  Yellow Turban Revolt? I saw Dong Zhuo in the trailer. But what about others like Lu Bu, or Xiahou Dun?
Fall?  Okay might be doable. I am going to get a New PC this year.

*hopefully*  ::)
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

CJReich46

double post
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on January 10, 2018, 11:32:45 AM
Looks like the next big historical TW will be ancient China, as many guessed.

;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HFeBUlUhh8

Ancient China!  Sign me up!

jomni

Long overdue... but... they did the same mistake as Koei.   While the grunts look like proper Han Dynasty guys, the generals are wearing fancy Tang / Song dynasty armour.  Makes them look like a Koei rip-off. 
Rant over.  Hope it turns out well. Definitely buying.  :D

Gusington

^I thought you were going to post something totally against this game announcement!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

Quote from: Gusington on January 10, 2018, 08:53:51 PM
^I thought you were going to post something totally against this game announcement!
Grogs can't have everything. As long as the game is fun.

Gusington

What have you done with the real jomni?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

So this is not one of the total war ERA titles but instead a new main title in a new era? Ok. I must watch again after work.

So it is: Just read the steam page.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Sir Slash

[quote author=jomni
Long overdue... but... they did the same mistake as Koei.   While the grunts look like proper Han Dynasty guys, the generals are wearing fancy Tang / Song dynasty armour. 

Hey! They got Tang on my Han! This game's already turning into a sad Song of an effort.  :DD
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

YES!!!

:notworthy:

Quote from: Gusington on January 10, 2018, 01:37:30 PM
Also - we can only hope - I bet a lot of the systems implemented in the Warhammer games will show up here.
I concur.  Given the mythical/legendary nature of this period of history -- and combined with what we saw in the announcement trailer -- I strongly suspect we'll see a number of elements from the Warhammer titles make their way into Three Kingdoms. 

Quote from: Gusington on January 10, 2018, 01:37:30 PM
Lots of reasons to rejoice, not least of which being that this announcement means that Martok was probably correct and Thrones of Brtittania is due out this spring.
Indeed.  Especially since Three Kingdoms has already been given a release date of Autumn 2018.  Given that, I have to believe Thrones of Britannia is coming in just 3-4 months. 

Giggity! 

Quote from: Gusington on January 10, 2018, 01:14:42 PM
LOINS MOISTENED.
LOINS EVEN MORE MOISTENED

(Okay, probably not, in your case. :P ) 

Still, I am super-stoked for Three Kingdoms, probably even more than I am for Thrones of Britannia -- no mean feat!  I can't claim my knowledge of ancient & medieval Chinese history is deep or extensive, but I've had an interest in (and fascination with) it for some years now. 

I'd prefer a little more historical authenticity than what the trailer showed.  However, given how romanticized the period is, I suspect a certain degree of "fantasy" gamey elements are inevitable.  I'm not thrilled about the prospect, but I can live with it. 

Quote from: Destraex on January 10, 2018, 10:02:17 PM
So this is not one of the total war ERA titles but instead a new main title in a new era? Ok. I must watch again after work.

So it is: Just read the steam page.
To clarify, the "Eras" games *are* the main, larger historical titles (such as Three Kingdoms that was just announced).  CA is calling them that to help differentiate them from the smaller "Sagas" games (like Thrones of Britannia). 

The plan -- as it's currently understood -- is that CA will produce games under Sagas series on a more frequent basis, while the larger Eras games will come out probably just once every few years.  The intent of the Sagas series is to make games focused around a smaller area/period from one of the larger Eras titles.  (Shogun 2's standalone expansion Fall of the Samurai is frequently held up as the prototypical example of what they're trying to achieve.) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

SirAndrewD

I'm still going to buy it and play it.  But I'll grouse about it.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Toonces

Anything that's too fantasy or otherwise porked up will undoubtedly be fixed by the robust modding community.  These games are always worth having even if they're not perfect because they serve as such excellent platforms for modders.

Unless, of course, one finds EA's design decisions "arbitrary" in which case one shouldn't buy it out of principle, despite what the mod community does with it.   ???

8)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

I'm sure I'll pick this up.  I'm a sucker for games with gaggles of guys sticking pointy things into each other with violence.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

I am actually more excited if Three Kingdoms has a healthy dose of fantasy...I like me some Chinese mythology. I'll need some reading suggestions, though...besides Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Is there a free version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms floating around anywhere?  I can't find one on Amazon, but usually a book this old has a free translation somewhere.