Total War: Three Kingdoms

Started by Nefaro, January 10, 2018, 11:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I can't help myself, I have always enjoyed Asian history, especially Chinese, and this seems a natural fit for the TW series. Plus it completes the circle started way back with the original Shogun TW. Also - we can only hope - I bet a lot of the systems implemented in the Warhammer games will show up here. Lots of reasons to rejoice, not least of which being that this announcement means that Martok was probably correct and Thrones of Brtittania is due out this spring.

LOINS MOISTENED

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

My body is prepared!

...not my wallet yet, but time to start saving up!  :D :D :D :D :D

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

I'm excited about all the opportunities to make totally inappropriate and politically incorrect Asian jokes.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FlickJax

Quote from: bob48 on January 10, 2018, 12:27:41 PM
We used to watch this one as well;

Water Margin was one of my favourites......

bob48

I must admit, corny and stylised though it was, we always watched it.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on January 10, 2018, 01:37:30 PM
I can't help myself, I have always enjoyed Asian history, especially Chinese, and this seems a natural fit for the TW series. Plus it completes the circle started way back with the original Shogun TW. Also - we can only hope - I bet a lot of the systems implemented in the Warhammer games will show up here. Lots of reasons to rejoice, not least of which being that this announcement means that Martok was probably correct and Thrones of Brtittania is due out this spring.

LOINS MOISTENED

Have you even played TW Warhammer yet, Gus?

???

Destraex

The trailer reminded me of fantasy rather than history. Typical of modern Chinese movies.
Could this be Matt Daemon Great Wall style Total War? :P

I must say I am a little excited by this. However I still just don't know if I could play another game of line the troops up with nothing to do but watch the black ants.
I hope the engine comes good for this title. Because it is much more exciting than the "Brittania" one.

P.S. Anybody know when the main historical title will be announced. These little "ERAS" titles are just to line the pockets of CA while they develop the main title. I doubt their will be much innovation for the ERA titles.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Anguille

I am not excited because there's something with the strategic aspect of the TW games that keeps me from enjoying them completely, but it's one of the TW games i will buy on release. The 3 Kingdoms period (and the books!) is an exceptional time period in chinese history with greater than life heroes....it's the chinese Lords of the Rings!

Destraex

Anguille that "greater than life" Lord of the Rings feel the trailer had is what I was worried about. That instead of finally having a chinese history title that goes beyond all the cheesy movies you can watch. We may just get a cheesy chinese movie game.

I agree that the strategic layer needs updating. I want a larger tactical layer between the battle and strategy layer.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

SirAndrewD

Meh. 

A longer wait for Medieval 3 or Victoria then. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Anguille

Quote from: Destraex on January 10, 2018, 05:07:25 PM
Anguille that "greater than life" Lord of the Rings feel the trailer had is what I was worried about. That instead of finally having a chinese history title that goes beyond all the cheesy movies you can watch. We may just get a cheesy chinese movie game.

I agree that the strategic layer needs updating. I want a larger tactical layer between the battle and strategy layer.
The thing is that the books "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" are very old and are the most read books on the planet. It is a huge part of chinese history and culture. It's a classic in chinese litterature and has his heroes and enemies: Cao Cao, Liu Bei and others:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_of_the_Three_Kingdoms

If you want to play an historical game on China, you can get Oriental Empires.  ;)

bob48

Just found it on amazon for the Kindle - £1.49, so that was an instant buy.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

Quote from: Destraex on January 10, 2018, 04:53:57 PM
The trailer reminded me of fantasy rather than history. Typical of modern Chinese movies.
Could this be Matt Daemon Great Wall style Total War? :P

I must say I am a little excited by this. However I still just don't know if I could play another game of line the troops up with nothing to do but watch the black ants.
I hope the engine comes good for this title. Because it is much more exciting than the "Brittania" one.

P.S. Anybody know when the main historical title will be announced. These little "ERAS" titles are just to line the pockets of CA while they develop the main title. I doubt their will be much innovation for the ERA titles.

This is THE NEXT BIG HISTORICAL ONE (TM)