Main Menu

Empires in Arms

Started by pzgndr, June 12, 2016, 02:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pzgndr

FYI. I have gotten into code development for Empires in Arms.  I have posted an update and a new v1.21.01 hotfix over at the Matrix Games forums.  If you bought and shelved EIANW over the past few years, please take another look and provide constructive feedback.  My intent is to continue development to resolve most of the outstanding issues.  Empires in Arms is a wonderful grand strategy Napoleonic Wars wargame that needs a little bit more TLC, and the good news is that it is now getting supported again.  Onward!

smittyohio

Out of curiosity, what language is it written in?

WYBaugh

Borland C++ Builder...or it was originally.

JasonPratt

I own it (like most Matrix games) but haven't played it yet (like etc.) Glad to see it's getting some support!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Boggit

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 13, 2016, 01:39:19 PM
I own it (like most Matrix games) but haven't played it yet (like etc.) Glad to see it's getting some support!
I don't have it, but I agree with your view which is great for the community. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

pzgndr

It's interesting that the question of code language popped up here and on the Generals HQ forum, as if it matters. It was Borland C++Builder initially and then updated to Codegear C++Builder 2007.  Regardless, my near term plan is to fix bugs and make modest enhancements to the existing code.  Taking on someone else's leagcy source code is challenging enough.  At some point after I get this v1.21 patch officially released, I may see if I can get it to run under the latest Embarcadero C++ compiler, and if it does then buy it and use that as a more stable (and supported) compiler/IDE.  A related question always seems to be "why not convert the code to something else?"  I did some web-searching and came to the conclusion that this would be non-trivial, considering how Borland libraries are involved and would need to be converted.  I am enjoying getting back into programming again, but this journey is going to take some time for me to get up to speed with all of the legacy code and relearning C++ to an extent that I feel comfortable implementing some new features without breaking things.  It's all good.

Greybriar

Link to Empire in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 Matrix forum.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

WYBaugh

Quote from: pzgndr on June 13, 2016, 03:50:51 PM
It's interesting that the question of code language popped up here and on the Generals HQ forum, as if it matters. It was Borland C++Builder initially and then updated to Codegear C++Builder 2007.  Regardless, my near term plan is to fix bugs and make modest enhancements to the existing code.  Taking on someone else's leagcy source code is challenging enough.  At some point after I get this v1.21 patch officially released, I may see if I can get it to run under the latest Embarcadero C++ compiler, and if it does then buy it and use that as a more stable (and supported) compiler/IDE.  A related question always seems to be "why not convert the code to something else?"  I did some web-searching and came to the conclusion that this would be non-trivial, considering how Borland libraries are involved and would need to be converted.  I am enjoying getting back into programming again, but this journey is going to take some time for me to get up to speed with all of the legacy code and relearning C++ to an extent that I feel comfortable implementing some new features without breaking things.  It's all good.

I'm a developer by profession and am always interested in what language/tool the games are written.  For EiW, I spoke with the original developer years ago to see if I could lend a hand with form development and then found that he was using Borland. 

panzerde

I think the number of IT/developer types here is pretty high, so people are just likely curious as to what language was used, etc.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

dinsdale

Quote from: pzgndr on June 13, 2016, 03:50:51 PM

I wish you the best of luck. I shelved it so long ago I've no idea if I even have the receipt anymore. The only good thing about EIA was that it warned me off World In Flames!

I think you have a mammoth job to do, not least picking through code tied to a vendor IDE from 2007.

JasonPratt

Be sure to drop a note when the patch goes up! -- I may do an AAR with the new patch as Turkey or Portugal or something crazy like that. (Can't recall which nations are playable in this game.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

pzgndr

Quote from: panzerde on June 14, 2016, 09:36:59 PM
I think the number of IT/developer types here is pretty high, so people are just likely curious as to what language was used, etc.

I'm a Fortran guy at heart, dabbling in nuclear weapons effects code, fusion reactor system code and thermal-hydraulics code over the years.  I even worked with Ada some.  The C++ came from some code development contracts I had, like 25 years ago.  It's been a while since I have done real programming, but it's like riding a bicycle and you don't forget.

The EiA code is what it is.  I'm not trying to do major restructuring, just some edits and enhancements.  I think I can eventually work off about 90% of the 150 or so items on the bug list; I've already tackled about 20.  It's doable, just time consuming and my free time to work on this is limited.  I am optimistic that some TLC will get players interested again.  I like the game, so I'm motivated to press on and make it better.  And for me, it's fun to get back into code again!

vyshka

Quote from: pzgndr on June 15, 2016, 07:10:40 PM
Quote from: panzerde on June 14, 2016, 09:36:59 PM

I'm a Fortran guy at heart, dabbling in nuclear weapons effects code, fusion reactor system code and thermal-hydraulics code over the years.  I even worked with Ada some.  The C++ came from some code development contracts I had, like 25 years ago.  It's been a while since I have done real programming, but it's like riding a bicycle and you don't forget.

The EiA code is what it is.  I'm not trying to do major restructuring, just some edits and enhancements.  I think I can eventually work off about 90% of the 150 or so items on the bug list; I've already tackled about 20.  It's doable, just time consuming and my free time to work on this is limited.  I am optimistic that some TLC will get players interested again.  I like the game, so I'm motivated to press on and make it better.  And for me, it's fun to get back into code again!

I imagine the folks that have been slogging through playing this MP over the years (can't remember the forum where they reside any longer) are going to build a statue in your honour. Best of luck to you with the clean up project. Nice to see it is getting some love.

pzgndr

FYI.  I sent files to Matrix Games yesterday for the v1.21.03 public beta, so please look for that in the next couple of weeks or so.  I initially guesstimated that I would have been at this point a couple months ago but somehow plans just never seem to survive contact with reality.  The big issue that I was wrestling with was getting the AI to add new corps units to the game.  Builds and reinforcements were working OK but then I discovered that new units weren't being placed at all so I committed to resolving that.

The good news is that in addition to a couple dozen bug fixes, the AI is now actively building and placing reinforcement factors for both Major Powers and minors, for both land and naval factors, and new land corps units are being placed as needed.  This is a significant AI enhancement by itself; future updates will further address some other AI performance issues.  I still have not figured out new fleet unit placements, or at least I have not yet seen it occur to verify it works, but I will figure this out one of these days.

The other good news is that this update finally allows players to enjoy the new wide-screen display that Marshall Ellis introduced in the v1.20.04 public beta, with the previous problem with display of the combat screen and a couple of other issues resolved.  Also, the new and separate data files and setups for the classic Empires in Arms and alternate Empires in Harm 1805 grand campaigns are introduced, so players who prefer one over the other can enjoy playing what they want. 

This is still a great game and hopefully this update will go a long way to re-energizing the community.  Please stand by!

JasonPratt

To this I will comment: squee!  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: