Started by Asid, June 28, 2015, 10:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Worth getting.  Easy to learn.
Al

mikeck

Quote from: DennisS on July 15, 2017, 09:06:53 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on July 14, 2017, 10:54:06 PM
One of my favorite naval games. Steam & Iron, the WWI Campaign add-on, and Rule The Waves are all great if you can get past the lack of pretty graphics.

A military simulation gamer that cares more about graphics than gameplay just isn't a Grognard.    :knuppel2:

Oh come on! Lol
It's all about immersion. I don't need top-notch graphics but I do need decent graphics or I just can't get into a game. So, I choose complex wargames that have decent graphics
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Boggit

Quote from: mikeck on July 15, 2017, 01:36:44 PM
One of my favorite naval games. Steam & Iron, the WWI Campaign add-on, and Rule The Waves are all great if you can get past the lack of pretty graphics.

A military simulation gamer that cares more about graphics than gameplay just isn't a Grognard.    :knuppel2:

Oh come on! Lol
It's all about immersion. I don't need top-notch graphics but I do need decent graphics or I just can't get into a game. So, I choose complex wargames that have decent graphics
That's perfectly reasonable in this day and age. O0 It's not the 1980's anymore where you had to suck up whatever graphics you got. :nerd:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

WallysWorld

Many thanks for the comments. I played the Steam and Iron demo quite a bit and will be buying RTW this week.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

solops

I love the RTW graphics because they are near to classic board game graphics-simple concise and informative. Don't care as much about pretty, which often gets in the way.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Sir Slash

Yes, the older I get the less important 'pretty' becomes.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

DennisS

Quote from: mikeck on July 15, 2017, 01:36:44 PM

Oh come on! Lol

I was just having a little fun about the graphics...it's 2D, with itty bitty sprites for ships, but the ship design features, and gameplay, is excellent.

DennisS

Been playing this the last couple of days.

Started as Great Britain, and chose the legacy fleet.

Got into a scrap with the USA in 1906...and had done very little to upgrade the fleet. Spent most of that time at 10% research, and I payed for it. I won the war, but it took two full years. So.....after the war...

...I scrapped most of my 1899 fleet, including almost all my DD's. Had just enough to put on foreign stations. Researched CL's, and designed a very sweet 4,600 ton, 26 knot beast. Lightly armored, but had the biggest guns I could put on it. Faster than anything that could kill it, and a real Destroyer killer.

Built a dozen of these, and another ten newly designed 700 ton DD's. Scrapped most of my old battleships to help pay for it.

..and the French bar rocketed upward, and I mean REALLY raced straight to war. I'm losing the war...not enough ships to stop the blockade. I am winning the battles, with my superior quality, but quantity has its own quality. If I can hang on just another eight months, then I have an absolute BEAST of a main Battleship, with 14 inch guns. It's now 1911, and I'm having a blast!

Sir Slash

I spent WAY to many hours playing that game trying to design the perfect Capital Ship. It is a lot of fun.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

DennisS

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 24, 2018, 10:26:42 AM
I spent WAY to many hours playing that game trying to design the perfect Capital Ship. It is a lot of fun.

It's 1938, and I just started what will probably be the last war for this game. I have the HMS Kingmaker and his brother, the Monarch, ready to go. Nine 18-inch guns, ten 10-inch guns, and a ton of secondaries, as well as crazy amounts of armor, or armour if you're English. Only has a top speed of 25 knots, but don't come within range of these monster shells.

One thing I have had reinforced this play through is to look at my potential enemies, and see where they are strong, and weak. I designed this latest series of CL's and DD's specifically to be just slightly better than theirs. I still aren't sure if the 176 million dollars for one ship is worth it...when I can purchase as many as eight cruisers for that money.

Sir Slash

Eighteen inch main battery and 10 in. secondary's? Must not be able to carry many shells with guns that big but then again.... they probably don't NEED many shells.  O0

Jarhead0331

I wish Aurora had a rudimentary ship graphic component for the design system similar to Rule the Waves...that would be totally badass.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

DennisS

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 25, 2018, 09:26:55 AM
I wish Aurora had a rudimentary ship graphic component for the design system similar to Rule the Waves...that would be totally badass.

I like the 28 knots. Six 14 inchers, with a bunch of secondaries. Faster than anything that is a threat to it. Good armor as well, for a BC.

Al

All on 23,000 tons - not bad.
Al

Grim.Reaper

Every time I see these games mentioned, makes me want to purchase...just curious, are these games still actively supported (i.e. patches, enhancements)?  Are there any new versions in the works?