Main Menu

NWS Rule the Waves

Started by Asid, June 28, 2015, 10:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slick Wilhelm

Having bought this game when it first released, I'm finally giving it a serious go. Lots of fun, in an intellectual way. So many decisions to make. I'm really enjoying it, and even geeking out with ship design.   O0

Sir Slash

One of my favorites too Slick.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

DennisS

I made a state of the art BB, in 1923, and just CRUSHED the English with it. With careful micro-ing, nothing is safe from its 17 inch guns.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on March 02, 2017, 08:48:32 PM
Having bought this game when it first released, I'm finally giving it a serious go. Lots of fun, in an intellectual way. So many decisions to make. I'm really enjoying it, and even geeking out with ship design.   O0

+++++1 

Proof positive that you don't need graphics for a great game.  Three cheers for NWS!!!
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

jamus34

Damn I really need to get this...and yes I believe this is the fourth time I've said this.
Insert witty comment here.

Hartford688

And, following on from some recent threads on companies perhaps having some less than ideal customer service, the Rules The Waves/Steam and Iron guys are just the nicest, most helpful crew you could hope to meet.

Grim.Reaper

This is always a company/game series I forget about....

Are they continuing to enhance the game (and their other games)?  Is there a next version on the horizon?

DennisS

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 04, 2017, 07:46:09 AM
This is always a company/game series I forget about....

Are they continuing to enhance the game (and their other games)?  Is there a next version on the horizon?

I understand Rule the Waves II is in development..not sure on the timeline. It will be a day one purchase for me...even if all they do is to upgrade the graphics. The gameplay is already pretty solid.

Boggit

Quote from: jamus34 on March 03, 2017, 11:30:09 PM
Damn I really need to get this...and yes I believe this is the fourth time I've said this.
I thoroughly recommend this game. Check out the article (a shameless plug :bd:) I did on it...

http://grogheads.com/?p=9112#more-9112

Since the article went out they NWS have made numerous updates including substantially extending the length of the game, which gives your "ultra modern"  ;) battleships a chance to shine.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

DennisS

Quote from: Boggit on March 04, 2017, 03:43:27 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on March 03, 2017, 11:30:09 PM
I thoroughly recommend this game. Check out the article (a shameless plug :bd:) I did on it...

http://grogheads.com/?p=9112#more-9112

Since the article went out they NWS have made numerous updates including substantially extending the length of the game, which gives your "ultra modern"  ;) battleships a chance to shine.

The increase was to have the game available to be ran to the year 1950, instead of 1925. The caveat is that no additional research is available after 1925.

WallysWorld

Is anyone still playing this game? I download the Steam and Iron demo and played it. Despite the somewhat primitive graphics and sounds, the gameplay seems solid plus the reviews are very good.

Was wondering if Rule the Waves was worth buying with a second edition being worked on? Maybe I should wait, but I couldn't any potential release date for the second edition.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Silent Disapproval Robot

I like it.  I wish you could slow it down a bit more and that there was a bit depth to the tactics, but for the price it was a pleasant surprise.  Go for it!

Boggit

Quote from: WallysWorld on July 14, 2017, 03:30:20 PM
Is anyone still playing this game? I download the Steam and Iron demo and played it. Despite the somewhat primitive graphics and sounds, the gameplay seems solid plus the reviews are very good.

Was wondering if Rule the Waves was worth buying with a second edition being worked on? Maybe I should wait, but I couldn't any potential release date for the second edition.
IIRC there is a second edition being worked on, but is a way from being released. Like SDR says it is a really good game, despite the graphics.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Sir Slash

One of my favorite naval games. Steam & Iron, the WWI Campaign add-on, and Rule The Waves are all great if you can get past the lack of pretty graphics.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

DennisS

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 14, 2017, 10:54:06 PM
One of my favorite naval games. Steam & Iron, the WWI Campaign add-on, and Rule The Waves are all great if you can get past the lack of pretty graphics.

A military simulation gamer that cares more about graphics than gameplay just isn't a Grognard.    :knuppel2: