Ghost Recon Wildlands

Started by JudgeDredd, June 22, 2015, 07:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I started downloading the beta at lunch. Can't hurt to check it out. I certainly WANT it to be good.  :dreamer:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 24, 2017, 03:10:57 PM
I started downloading the beta at lunch. Can't hurt to check it out. I certainly WANT it to be good.  :dreamer:

Let me know what you think...I'm going to try to play for a couple hours tonight if I get the chance.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Swatter

Looking forward to impression on this one from experienced Arma gamers.

Grim.Reaper

I don't have a ton of time into it, but for me personally not sure this will be for me...couple points.

1)  I have had a lot of stutters and pauses on my system...certainly could be my computer/settings, but I don't currently experience that with any other game right now.
2)  It kind of feels like Far Cry to me...not saying that is good or bad for people, but kind of just felt like I was in that environment.  And for me, just left me a little blah.
3)  I actually tried playing with a controller and wasn't too bad, especially compared to other games where I find it difficult to control.
4)  I had fun shooting stuff along with my AI helpers...but nothing special really stood out.

I'll certainly give it more time, not nearly enough time spent to draw conclusions.  But my first impressions makes me think not a day one buy, but later in a sale like I do with all Far Cry games.

Jarhead0331

I've got about 3 hours into it and I'm still really enjoying it. I'm playing tactically staying off roads, staying out of the towns and cities, using recon and the drone to spot and mark targets, etc.  I'm  following side quests and the main story, which is well done and interesting. I loved the movie Sicario and this game is letting me play the movie. Targeting murderous and torturous cartel members is satisfying. I like the gunsmithing options and finding loot, new weapons and weapon accessories is fun.  I've seen a lot of complaints about vehicle handling and I just don't get it. It feels exactly like GTAV.

Game looks and runs great on my rig.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Grim.Reaper

I have put more time in and it certainly can be fun, no doubt at some point I will pick this up.  Just a few things that I wish they would improve upon.  The spawning of enemy units can be rough....seen many times where they spawn out of nowhere.....I can actually be standing right next to their spot and they just pop in.  I'll admit I am one of those people who do struggle with the vehicles, but I always struggle with vehicles in all these games.  While driving, seems a tad too responsive (often loose control) and I haven't mastered flying the helicopter yet, although getting better.  Do wish there was more control over your squad mates, unless I haven't just figured it out yet.  Seems like you have some basic controls, but I haven't found where you could possibly just order one of your guys (instead of whole groups) to specific actions or possibly setup a good attack.  For example, would like to assign some guys to attacking, while possibly putting one in reserve, and another maybe on high ground with sniper duties.  Probably asking too much:)

Also, not sure if I missed it or maybe just a beta thing, but seems like only auto save included.....couldn't find where you could save at your desire.

I plan to keep plugging away until the beta ends....

JasonPratt

I wasn't able to play the beta last night (no problem with the dl or the beta, just had to work really late and then mp'd with Grogs and other friends elsewhere).

The bugs I'm hearing about in this thread sound like the complaints in the Steam comments, tho.  :-\ Just nicer about it.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 25, 2017, 11:39:54 AM
The bugs I'm hearing about in this thread sound like the complaints in the Steam comments, tho.  :-\ Just nicer about it.  O:-)

Not sure any of mine are bugs, more like design decisions....my stuttering has been OK ever since I changed from Window mode to Full Screen.

JasonPratt

I played for about an hour after noon. The opening in-game cinematic (the helicopter ride insertion) was going fine and then for no clear reason it started protracted stuttering like Youtube on a bad internet connection: 10 seconds of load, 5 seconds of play. Eventually the audio/video and the text got out of synch.

I couldn't stop the scene without fast forwarding, so I escaped past it (and the remainder of its pre-mission briefing involving the rebels which I hadn't gotten to yet), and then quit back to the graphics to mess with them. After a lot of tweaking to get my VRam usage exactly right (at 1080, although I could have improved things substantially again by dropping back to 900 or even 720), I went to restart the campaign...

...and then found there was no way to restart the campaign.

Good grief, even Batman: Arkham Knight could restart the campaign! -- or have four or five concurrent campaign saves!

So I uninstalled. I might set it up to reinstall later and try again.

Grim.Reaper

To restart the campaign in the beta, you have to delete the save directory.... (may be in different spot if using Steam, but I am sure it exists somewhere)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames\64febff2-8ea3-4482-a08c-48fd09b67d50\2970

Dumb question....if you "might" play it again, why uninstall in the first place?  The beta ends on the 27th.

Grim.Reaper

Game continues to grow on me.....a number of interesting missions, especially good when your attacking a large base protected by hidden snipers.  Getting much better using my drone to setup an attack and making great use of synchronized team shots.  A lot of side missions pop up so I sometimes forget I have an mission to complete:)

JasonPratt

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 25, 2017, 04:14:28 PM
To restart the campaign in the beta, you have to delete the save directory.... (may be in different spot if using Steam, but I am sure it exists somewhere)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames\64febff2-8ea3-4482-a08c-48fd09b67d50\2970

Dumb question....if you "might" play it again, why uninstall in the first place?  The beta ends on the 27th.

Because I'm literally too lazy to find the proper savegame thing, compared to uninstalling and reinstalling.  :buck2:

JasonPratt

Okay reinstalled, whereupon I learned that uninstalling and reinstalling didn't easily nix my savegame for a campaign restart.  ::) :P

Fortunately, finding that hexadecimal folder did.

Rebuilt my guy, restarted the campaign -- I feel duddier in this campaign compared to, let's say, Far Cry or Just Cause (both of which this resembles). I'm guessing this is due to a focus on trying to make the teamwork work.

I like the game nevertheless (haven't tried vehicle riding). But I suspect I'll need to upgrade my SLI NVidia card (which while superb when I bought it, is back somewhere in the high 600 model range), to get past the dire graphic bugs (not to say even getting more than a low texture map). Or maybe not since I see a lot of complaints from people with better cards... (so, will those be fixed later, or should I look to upgrade anyway?)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 25, 2017, 10:15:09 PM
Game continues to grow on me.....a number of interesting missions, especially good when your attacking a large base protected by hidden snipers.  Getting much better using my drone to setup an attack and making great use of synchronized team shots.  A lot of side missions pop up so I sometimes forget I have an mission to complete:)

Don't forget that as you play you find and earn skill points which are used to upgrade your player, your squad, your drone and your support options. As you play more, your abilities and tactical options increase and open up significantly.  Unlocks span the gamut from increasing your player's stamina or accuracy, to adding night vision and increased battery power and flight time to your drone.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog