The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

Quote from: Con on August 13, 2018, 10:57:49 PM
I have a wish that there was a way to generate a immersive AAR from the message log.  I was looking to see if anyone had written a generator that could parse the message log and assign more prosaic AAR to the outcome.

Con

Not 100% what you are looking for but a program Seahag exist and is made for CMANO (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3457871 Speech and Ambient Sound Module).

It reads the message log and speaks selected messages based on rules you can define yourself.
It can ignore part of the message, replace part of the message (e.g. DDG can be replaced by Guided Missile Destroyer, ..), ...

But the output is speech and not a text file...
It also requires some coding to get the results you want but when it works it is great for immersion (e.g. instead of playing a short sound you can make it say 'vampire detected by unit x').

HoodedHorseJoe

That'd probably be a good tool for video diaries etc..., liven the feed up a bit.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Dimitris

Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

RyanE

Did I do somehting wrong on the update?  All my standalone scenarios that come with the game are still a couple db generations behind.

smittyohio

Just out of curiosity, how long are the LIVE scenarios generally?  I'm trying to get into CMANO after giving up due to lag a few years back and am wondering if these would be good once I get the gaming system down.  Which should take a few years.... :D

Pete Dero

Quote from: smittyohio on October 19, 2018, 11:17:09 AM
Just out of curiosity, how long are the LIVE scenarios generally?  I'm trying to get into CMANO after giving up due to lag a few years back and am wondering if these would be good once I get the gaming system down.  Which should take a few years.... :D

https://www.wargamer.com/articles/command-modern-airnaval-operations-dlc/

smittyohio

Quote from: Pete Dero on October 19, 2018, 12:12:50 PM
Quote from: smittyohio on October 19, 2018, 11:17:09 AM

https://www.wargamer.com/articles/command-modern-airnaval-operations-dlc/

Thanks!  Ok, sounds like I won't need those anytime soon... "Huge" scenarios are probably beyond my grasp anytime soon.   :-)

Destraex

OK. I just played the first submarine tutorial. However what is bugging me is the way things are calculated in game.
What is the best way to calculate the closing speed and direction I should head my sub in to intercept a contact?
Is there a tutorial on how to do all the calculations for converging with a contact?

Perhaps it is covered in a future tutorial. I basically need a time that the contact will reach a point I draw and then need to be able to draw a line from my ship to the point I have chosen and have a speed indicated and time of arrival. So I know my various options.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Yskonyn

Well what happened with the elementary speed vs time equals distance?
You have speed and time you can read distance off the map.
Correlate your asset's speed and course to that of the contact you're tracking.
Just like the captains do. 😊
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Destraex

I actually have not found time yet on the map. That may be the key.
If I follow a contacts current course and draw a line with the tool. I can then do a time calculation using distance and speed. However I thought the game would do all of that for me. I imagine real captains\crew these days get computers to do it all for them.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Yskonyn

There is no auto intercept in the sim until a unit is able to prosecute a target by its own when its within sensor range.

You can create waypoints on the map and then tie missions to those waypoints to creat an area where the unit will act within mission parameters on its own to automate target search and prosecution, but for ships I often find it much quicker to just manually steer intercepts.

F1 - Auto attack by the way, but I have had mixed results with this. Sometimes a units won't actively move to intercept and just wait until the enemy comes to them (which usually never happens) :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Dimitris

Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

Grim.Reaper

So question......before I consider purchasing all the missing DLC that I don't have, any idea how much longer this version will be around?  Any news of a possible new version in the future?  And if so, are we still years away or sooner?  Not looking for an exact time frame, just in general.  Just seems like a some point another version would be due out.

Old TImer

Word is a new version with improved land combat units is on the horizon.