Pax Nova - New space 4x

Started by Jarhead0331, May 09, 2019, 11:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Released today in early access...features space and ground combat with interesting unit design characteristics. Sort of has an Endless Space vibe to it...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/804850/Pax_Nova/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

FarAway Sooner

Looks interesting.  One huge key to me in 4x games is the ability to customize different races/factions/countries in a way that lends itself to the story and also to a different play style. 

Lots of 4x games get the "different play style" piece right, but few manage to also hit the "story" side of things so well.  Endless Space 2 and Endless Legend both do a better job with that story-telling element, but I have struggled to get into many of the factions.  For too many 4x games, my choice of race ends up just becoming a choice of abstract bonuses.

I'd love to see this game get that part right.

Yskonyn

Pax Nova is definately on my watch list, but I won't go near it in early access. Its made by the people who have botched a previous project rather badly if the webz are to be trusted, so beware.

Edit: it was this game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/246940/Lords_of_the_Black_Sun/#app_reviews_hash
That got the fury of the internet over it. The lead guy of Grey Wolf (Pax Nova) was head of the group that made LotBS. Fitting abbreviation if I may believe the reviews! :D
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

^Wow. good find. I still haven't forgotten about that one. Another 4x that had great potential.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Anguille

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 09, 2019, 11:25:34 AM
Pax Nova is definately on my watch list, but I won't go near it in early access. Its made by the people who have botched a previous project rather badly if the webz are to be trusted, so beware.

Edit: it was this game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/246940/Lords_of_the_Black_Sun/#app_reviews_hash
That got the fury of the internet over it. The lead guy of Grey Wolf (Pax Nova) was head of the group that made LotBS. Fitting abbreviation if I may believe the reviews! :D
This is not forgotten but it's already fairly old news (i also posted a negative review). It was mentionned when Pax Nova was announced (there's a thread somewhere). The sequel, Dawn of Andromeda, while not the greatest game, is a lot better. They have been progressing a lot from game to game. I hope they nail it this time and i've got the feeling that this is going to be better than DoA. I think i'll get it in EA, you can't get wrong at that price imho.

W8taminute

Those past experiences are rather sobering but I'm going with my gut knee jerk reaction on this one and buying it.  I'll post my feedback once I get some time with the game. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

Quote from: Gusington on May 09, 2019, 12:35:23 PM
Was LotBS abandoned?

Abandoned? Of course not, that would be a Lot of BS!  :DD
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Anguille

Quote from: Gusington on May 09, 2019, 12:35:23 PM
Was LotBS abandoned?
Fairly soon. Not a game i can recommend. Still many bugs. And it was, despite having some nice ideas, really bland.

Anguille

Quote from: W8taminute on May 09, 2019, 11:56:04 AM
Those past experiences are rather sobering but I'm going with my gut knee jerk reaction on this one and buying it.  I'll post my feedback once I get some time with the game.
I will get it as well but will be able to play it only in a week. Will give my impressions as soons as i have at least 10 hours in it.

W8taminute

Ok I have won my first game based off of a score victory.  Good news is you can continue playing the game normally even after you win.

I'm not going to get too deep explaining the game but I do like what they've done so far.  The only flaw with the game in it's current state is that colonizing other planets is broken/not working.  I probably won't be playing much more until they implement colonization.

What I do like about this game is that in theory you could have many colonies in the galaxy and not wholly own a single planet.  You start off on a planet that you share with other factions.  You could either spend your time and energy conquering your starting planet or you can concentrate on building up your tech and economy to start colonizing other planets.  In theory, if colonization was working, the ai could also plant cities on planets you have set up shop on.  Everyone can share the galaxy peacefully together and even live side by side on multiple planets.  Or you could purge the xenos in war without end.  This game is a dream of mine come true except you can't colonize. 

Hopefully this gets fixed otherwise I just blew $23 for nothing. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

W8taminute

They recently released a new patch that took care of some bugs but still haven't fully addressed the not being able to colonize other planets.

However I did notice that I can find some planets to colonize where I couldn't do that before the patch.  Out of a medium sized galaxy with 100+ planets in it I found 2, outside of my starting planet, that I could colonize after discovering the appropriate tech.  What's strange is that planet types such as desert or ancient cannot be colonized even though I always seem to start out on a desert planet.  Clearly there is a problem but at least now there is a 2% chance of finding another planet to colonize.

Even though this problem is not fully fixed I derived great joy from colonizing my first planet.  That being said even if they fix this problem I don't think this game is much fun.  It's really appealing and definitely has that 'one more turn' feel to it but I suspect that is only because of the honeymoon phase.  Once a person gets over that shiny new game feeling this game quickly becomes boring because in the long run we've all been there done that in other games. 

I'd stay away from this game unless it's on sale for $5 or less.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: W8taminute on July 03, 2019, 08:10:31 AM
They recently released a new patch that took care of some bugs but still haven't fully addressed the not being able to colonize other planets.

However I did notice that I can find some planets to colonize where I couldn't do that before the patch.  Out of a medium sized galaxy with 100+ planets in it I found 2, outside of my starting planet, that I could colonize after discovering the appropriate tech.  What's strange is that planet types such as desert or ancient cannot be colonized even though I always seem to start out on a desert planet.  Clearly there is a problem but at least now there is a 2% chance of finding another planet to colonize.

Even though this problem is not fully fixed I derived great joy from colonizing my first planet.  That being said even if they fix this problem I don't think this game is much fun.  It's really appealing and definitely has that 'one more turn' feel to it but I suspect that is only because of the honeymoon phase.  Once a person gets over that shiny new game feeling this game quickly becomes boring because in the long run we've all been there done that in other games. 

I'd stay away from this game unless it's on sale for $5 or less.

i don't think this is a fair assessment at all. You are treating this as a complete game. It is extremely early access. To write it off at this early stage is really bizarre and unfair to the developers and people who might be interested in the game. In its present state, I agree with your overall assessment, in fact, I uninstalled it after playing around for just a few minutes. However, it clearly has a long way to go, and if the developers fill its potential by delivering a grand space strategy game where players not only expand across the stars colonizing planets, but can then build upon them and fight ground battles in real time, it will be a game like no other since Emperor of the Fading Suns.  By urging people to not buy it until its on sale for $5, you are circumventing and frustrating the entire purpose of early access and crowd funding. Give it a chance to grow!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mbar

I've held off commenting on Pax Nova just because I'm only about 70 turns into a game and haven't even made it to space yet. I am enjoying it so far. There seems to be a lot of variety in faction selection and I like how they are all branches of humanity that have evolved in different directions. There are many choices for cities to build enhancements. More work is being done and is needed but if this game fleshes out like I hope, it seems it will be like Civilization and Galactic Civilization all rolled into one. I'm just saying I like it so far. I'm sure not invalidating it's present state or experienced players assessments.  :bd:

W8taminute

Perhaps I should have said do not buy in it's current state.  For a moment, and I admit it, I did forget the game is still in early access. 

There definitely is potential in the game but I guess that sometimes early access can take the wind out of your sails to the point you don't care anymore.  Maybe I've reached that point and yes it's not fair to discourage others but I do think people should be aware of how others feel.  Sort of like a barometer to determine if you should take the plunge or not. 

I will give the game a chance but probably won't play much until some more progress is made.  Based on your commentary I should probably redirect my negative comments to the developer forums but in a gentler way.  The developers should get some feedback to help them polish the game.