UBOAT, WW2 subsim 4/30/19 on Steam

Started by glen55, April 20, 2019, 03:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I can now confirm that playing this on a Surface Pro 3 (Windows 8.1), on lowest graphical settings, the game will start laughing at you uncontrollably, suffer a brain aneurysm, and die.

:D  :DD

This was not unexpected, but I can't get home to THE PRESENCE yet so I figured I'd take a shot and see what happened. For Science!  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 30, 2019, 01:54:24 PM
I also have the coupon and will not be using it.  It's up for grabs.

If you still have it, would love it:)

bboyer66

Been trying to play this game, as I have been looking forward to it for a long time, but it's nowhere near finished (I hope). 
Things are very clunky, buggy, unexplained, etc. The tutorial is so bad that it needs its own tutorial.   Could not figure out for the life of me how to fire up the diesel engines after surfacing. Had to keep going to first person mode to make repairs because my guys in the side view would just keep ignoring my instructions, and keep filling water buckets. Not sure who thought having to micro-manage a sub crew was a good idea? Stuff like having to make sure stations are manned. Getting bananas out of storage to give to the galley with a crewman, telling individual crew members to fix specific things. having to make sure you close hatches, etc.   I'm guessing, and I could be wrong on this, but most people want to concentrate on tactics, shooting torpedoes, navigating, and stuff like that. Not micromanaging the crew. Hell didn't one of the games in the Silent Hunter series try something similar, where you had to keep rotating watches, and assign everyone to their proper places. If I remember it was one of the first things modders tried to eliminate. Anyways I never got to actually firing the torpedoes part. The whole game was going catawampus, and you cant save during the tutorial. Luckily all the excitement of clicking on a button to put a diving helmet on a crewmember, and then clicking another button for him to dive into the water to recover an enemy radar was almost too much for me to handle.  I'm not gonna bash the developers at this point, but we got a long way to go before we have a worthy successor to the Silent Hunter franchise.   

Huw the Poo

Someone hasn't been following the thread...

bboyer66

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 30, 2019, 05:07:28 PM
Someone hasn't been following the thread...
Apparently, I confirmed your fears about this game 😀

Jarhead0331

If you bought this thinking it would be a successor to the SH series, that is entirely on you, bro.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bboyer66

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 30, 2019, 06:43:02 PM
If you bought this thinking it would be a successor to the SH series, that is entirely on you, bro.
At this point I have no idea what this game is trying to be.

Staggerwing

Hey, it looks like Admiral Donuts must like me because I got the 20% off coupon as well!

I think I'll take a chance on the game eventually leveling up to playability and get it while the coupon is still good. Is there an option for making each crewman write up a self-eval to bring to his quarterly performance review?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Notably, the Tutorial and the Campaign are currently separate but will be merged at some point in the future. (I'm still 6 minutes out from finishing the download at home. Had to dl the release day of Fade to Silence first, which unlike this game really is exiting beta into full release. Whereas this seems like a late alpha, being feature incomplete.)

I think there may already be a patch making save-anywhere the default rather than requiring it to be selected from the options (the other option being save only at port, which seems insane.)

That does sound like a ludicrous amount of micro, Boyer! I have read the devs promising that this level of micro is totally optional, but based on what I saw looking around on the Surface (before I tried to start the tutorial and my system died -- no fault to the game, the Surface just isn't built for games like this) there is no option to make the micromanagement optional yet.

(I think the crew management started in Silent Hunter 3, by the way. And arguably continues with Wolfpack, hey-o!  :D )

Steam just finished the download, off to playtest!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Skoop

It did seem clunky at first in the tutorial, I think they are just trying to show how detailed you can drill down in the crew management.  I'm going to test the sandbox mode to see if you can automate some of this stuff. 

JasonPratt

Having just played a couple of hours of the tutorial, I found a number of things to be automated -- just not always necessarily as fast as I could order someone or do it myself.

My tutorial character isn't the captain, but an underofficer. So the captain isn't hanging out in the engine room making spare parts, or deep diving, or whatever.

mikeck

Hmm. Sounds like Mike's office simulator but in a sub. Telling 50 people what they are supposed to be doing. Then discovering many are not and must actually be told specifically what to do. Haven't caught anyone just filling water buckets but it SEEMS like something I might see.

So yeah, I get why someone might like it but boy-o-boy, last thing I want to do when i get home from work is go back to work via fantasy. Well...that and having to engage and socialize in any multilayer game.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 30, 2019, 06:43:02 PM

There are comprehensive modding tools coming and the youtuber magz says everything is there in game for modders to make a silent hunter sim style game out of this... realism wise. Rather than gameplay wise.
I am pumped for this game and very excited. But as a single player game I cannot commit money to it. Having just purchased mordhau.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

trek

Hey Des,
Thanks for the in-depth impressions of Mordhau. I'm still on the fence with this one having just bought U-Boat. My question to you is this: I was never proficient with the combat in Kingdom Come and I always did better with Chivalry than I did with WOTR. How would you describe the combat style compared with these previous games. I need some insight on this particular subject if I'm going to make a purchase.

trek

Sorry, wrong thread, this needs to be in the Mordhau one.