Assassins Creed heads to Anceint Greece!

Started by Jarhead0331, June 12, 2018, 10:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 13, 2018, 04:12:16 PM
I think they should do World War 2.  It's a such a shockingly unrepresented period in gaming that I think it'd feel like a very fresh take.

:DD

:buck2:

Ian C

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 14, 2018, 05:57:42 AM
^what would be so great about that? They have already done late Victorian era London (syndicate) and they've done Paris too (Unity). These also happen to be my least favorite titles in the series and the ones I found most dull and boring. I don't see the draw of the late 19th and early 20th century in this game system.

...and I've played saboteur. I fail to see the connection. That took place in the 1940s with WWII as the backdrop.

I didn't know they covered Paris - I'll have to check that out. EDIT: It's set in the freaking revolution. I hate that period.

I guess I just like Paris in that late 19th Century period. In Saboteur I liked roaming over the rooftops. I thought it was mysterious and cool.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Ian C on June 14, 2018, 12:24:04 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 14, 2018, 05:57:42 AM
^what would be so great about that? They have already done late Victorian era London (syndicate) and they've done Paris too (Unity). These also happen to be my least favorite titles in the series and the ones I found most dull and boring. I don't see the draw of the late 19th and early 20th century in this game system.

...and I've played saboteur. I fail to see the connection. That took place in the 1940s with WWII as the backdrop.

I didn't know they covered Paris - I'll have to check that out. EDIT: It's set in the freaking revolution. I hate that period.

I guess I just like Paris in that late 19th Century period. In Saboteur I liked roaming over the rooftops. I thought it was mysterious and cool.

Check out Unity once the Steam Summer Sale hits. I bet it will be reasonably discounted! If roaming around the city is what you liked about The Saboteur, then I bet you will really like AC: Unity too!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jomni

Looks nice and immersive. But.....

Observations:
Naval battles are comical.
Lots of RPG elements. AC wasn't an RPG when it began right?
The big battle looks wrong. They should be hoplites fighting in formation.
No stealth?  Are you even an assassin?

ComradeP

Wow, that looks silly.

You're sailing around in an oversized wind-powered speedboat, with naval battles straight from some arcade game.

AC wasn't an RPG when it began in the sense that you picked attributes or abilities upon reaching a new level, but you did gain new attacks and abilities when you improved your sync with the ancestor (through completing missions). As noted, I've never played any game in the series beyond the first so I'm not sure how they handled it in other titles.

The first game also didn't really have what I would call stealth. Enemies could be in various states of alert based on spotting you and you doing something that wasn't "socially acceptable" like drawing a weapon, but you couldn't hide in the shadows or anything and it was rather generic. You could vanish in haystacks, roof gardens in a crowd of scholars or...when sitting on a bench in between two people. The scene at the 8 minute mark is actually pretty close to what stealth was like in the original, though you couldn't crouch like that.

I actually played the original a bit yesterday and was amused that moving very slowly when mounted somehow makes enemies oblivious to your presence (there was a "blend" function which made enemies ignore you more or less under certain conditions). It's a vintage open world game in the "you can scale this building or rock, but not this one" sense, and I've already uninstalled it.

Odyssey looks like a "streamlined" Deus Ex/Mass Effect/Splinter Cell/Dynasty Warriors/Titan Quest mash-up.

I'm not very fond of all the dumbing down in modern games.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Jarhead0331

I think it looks great and fun. This isn't supposed to be Mare Nostrum and the AC series has NEVER represented itself as a historical simulation. It is based very loosely on historical events and periods. If you're someone who demands exacting historical detail in your gaming, this is definitely a series that is going to rub you the wrong way.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

ComradeP

Well, they get the historical setting and feel "right" in most games from what I can tell, which is a considerable achievement.

I was hoping for a stealth/adventure game, as mentioned earlier. Judging by the gameplay footage, they've moved closer to what other developers are doing with their open world action/RPG games. The historical setting and feel is the ace, but the other cards they're holding don't trump what the others bring to the table.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Jarhead0331

You shouldn't judge the series based on playing the original in the series. The games have evolved quite a bit since the first title was released, what, at least 10 years ago? However, I think most of the mechanics you seem to be lukewarm about probably remain largely the same. I know the series isn't for everyone. I usually only enjoy it in small doses.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

The ship combat in Black Flag was not authentic in the least but was arguably the most fun part of that game...hoping for the same here.

You gotta loosen up and have some fun, ComradeP.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

who is picking up this week?  still on the fence myself, very tempted. 

Ian C

Gusington

I love that meme, but the chick he's with is definitely more attractive than the one he's oggling. Maybe that's the point?

Definitely getting Odyssey, but definitely not this week, and definitely not at full price. I also have to finish more of Origins first too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

well after reading some reviews...caved and pre ordered from greenman while there was a discount.  thought i would hold out llonger:)

Jarhead0331

#metoo. I got the gold edition. Downloading now.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

i only went with standard edition....i believe you'll get the game 3 days early with gold so can't wait for impressions