Empire Deluxe Combined Edition now on Steam

Started by spelk, June 05, 2018, 05:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-budd-

How's the micro- management? That's the reason I stopped playing ATG, from the late middle to end game the M&M was killer, especially on large maps.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

ArizonaTank

So far I am enjoying the game. The customization features built into the system make it well worth the $19 price tag.  It does play very easy, and micro-management is minimal.  I like that the game quickly shifts from small, basic games with just a few unit types..to very large complex ones.  It has a built in database tool that allows you to customize unit types and capabilities..very cool.  I also has optional supply rules to eliminate massive unit spawns.  I have not played enough to comment on the AI, but it at least seems minimally competent.  I'd say if you liked the idea of ATG but found it too much work to play,  EDCE is a good alternative.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Steelgrave

As a lifelong gamer, as someone who played the hell out of the original Empire, as someone who played the hell out of Empire Deluxe, I bought the game yesterday....and returned it to Steam an hour later. Man, I'm used to nothing being as good as I remember by now, but the graphics and sound made my respective eyes and ears bleed. I can turn the sound off, but I just can't do the graphics anymore.... I respect some can get past that but not me. I actually felt bad returning the game, like an old friend had shown up at my door and I sent them packing. But I'm about to fire up some Battletech followed by Stellaris, so I imagine I will be over it soon.   ::)

DennisS

Quote from: -budd- on June 13, 2018, 01:44:31 PM
How's the micro- management? That's the reason I stopped playing ATG, from the late middle to end game the M&M was killer, especially on large maps.

I believe that there are waypoints you can send forces to.

Also, there is a supply function, where you can send cities' production in the back lines to cities up near the front lines. This reduces the number of producing cities, and significantly reduces how often you need to give units their orders to get them to where the action is.

DennisS

Quote from: Steelgrave on June 14, 2018, 02:11:40 PM
As a lifelong gamer, as someone who played the hell out of the original Empire, as someone who played the hell out of Empire Deluxe, I bought the game yesterday....and returned it to Steam an hour later. Man, I'm used to nothing being as good as I remember by now, but the graphics and sound made my respective eyes and ears bleed. I can turn the sound off, but I just can't do the graphics anymore.... I respect some can get past that but not me. I actually felt bad returning the game, like an old friend had shown up at my door and I sent them packing. But I'm about to fire up some Battletech followed by Stellaris, so I imagine I will be over it soon.   ::)

The graphics suck. You betcha. But...my next game will be 400 x 400, will potentially two to five thousand units on the map. Real pretty, top line graphics will grind my pc to a halt.