Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

Started by Martok, November 14, 2017, 01:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Age of Charlamagne is close in period and would include most of the same units. Apart from the Normans. It starts in  768 CE
http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Age_of_Charlemagne_Campaign_Pack

THrones of Britannia starts in 878 AD and covers to 1066 (battle of hastings, Normans arrive with William the Conqueror)
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/thrones-britannia-faq

I generally find Vikings in total war games fairly pedestrian. Because the troop types are pretty bland imho. They would need to differentiate each individual viking warband in the host by making them have their leaders personality before it would become interesting.

Since Vikings will not be released until mid 2018. I am assuming we will not get another historical total war game "proper" until the year after or even further down the line after that if they release more of their "saga" series in the mean time. Rome2 was released in 2013. So it will have been at least 5 years before major release. I don't include Atilla since it is just a small modification of the existing engine.
I have always suspected that even though they say they have a completely separate team for fantasy and historical that some resources are shared and that releases of the two genres will never be allowed to intersect.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

bob48

Quote from: Martok on November 14, 2017, 11:40:00 PM
Once his house is constructed, effects are as follows: +2 to Public Order, and Bawb becomes a Hero you can recruit into your faction. 

Embedded in an army, Bawb grants +4 Morale to all units, but the commanding general gains the trait "Mustache Envy".  Embedded in a settlement, he improves tax income by 4% and growth rate by a whopping 8%, but at the cost of -3 food consumption.  If Bawb is sent to infiltrate an enemy army, there is a 2% chance each turn that the entire army (including its General) defects to your faction, with no penalties for failure (the troops just love him too much).  If he is sent to infiltrate an enemy settlement, there's an immediate 50% chance he either dies or the entire settlement defects to your faction (regardless of culture).  8)

I like it! :bd:
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

MengJiao

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 14, 2017, 04:38:11 PM
Twice

Ouch!  Anyway, I'm generally happy with Total War stuff and I'm sure I'll buy it all some day.

Toonces

Whatever you do, Destraex, I strongly recommend you not get involved with DCS.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Destraex

Your funny. I already own some aircraft in that game :P
Star Citizen as well.

CJReich46

Quote from: MengJiao on November 16, 2017, 06:06:27 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 14, 2017, 04:38:11 PM
Twice

Ouch!  Anyway, I'm generally happy with Total War stuff and I'm sure I'll buy it all some day.

Same, plus I like the idea of a focused campaign like Fall of the Samurai.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Martok

A short blog from Jack Lusted about the decision to start the game in 878 A.D (a topic already much discussed/critiqued/debated)... 

[spoiler]Hello and welcome to the first in a series of blogs from lead developer Jack Lusted that will talk about the core decisions behind the design and direction of A Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia. As this is the first blog, it feels best to start with the first question that will come to mind for those familiar with the history of this era.

So Jack, why 878 AD?

——————————–

When you think of Viking Britain, two dates really come to mind:

793 AD: The first major Viking raid on the monastery of Lindisfarne
    865 AD: The Great Heathen Army, also called the Great Viking Army and supposedly led by the sons of the legendary Viking Ragnar Lodbrok, arrives in England

Both of these are sort of seen as heralding the arrival of different phases of Viking activity. The first leads to the era of constant raiding of the coasts of Britain and Ireland, the second to their eventual settling in England after a lot of fighting. But both of these to a degree are a start, a beginning of something, and I think what happens next is just as interesting.

Total War: ATTILA and Total War: WARHAMMER both feature large invasions by marauding forces, as did the Viking Invasion expansion for Medieval: Total War, but they don't delve into what comes next. What happens after the invasion? How do countries and people pick themselves back up and adapt to the new reality they're faced with?

This aftermath is as fascinating to me, if not more so, than the invasion itself as it's here that the consequences play out. How do the different cultures cope in areas where they've merged together? The Great Heathen Army has been defeated, but the fighting hasn't really stopped. What does that mean for agriculture, and the need to support armies all the time? What will later Viking raiders think of the ones who've already settled, will they look on them as brothers or treat them as another target?

The Treaty of Wedmore, signed after the Battle of Edington in 878 AD, is a great time to jump into to look at answering those questions. The Great Viking Army has settled in the old English kingdoms of Northumbria and East Anglia as well as the eastern half of Mercia, the areas that would become known as the Danelaw. Alfred the Great has carved out a kingdom, but it's still fragile, and lots of English lands lie under Viking rule.

In Wales, king Rhodri the Great has died after uniting the lands, his territory divided amongst his sons who each look to follow in the footsteps of their father and rule as King of the Britons, but also deal with a resurgent Wessex.

To the north in Scotland, the Gaels have overtaken the Picts and the two branches of the Alpinid dynasty vie for control of what is known as Alba. To the west in Ireland, the lands are as divided as they've ever been, between Gaelic Kingdoms and new Viking settlements now dotting the coast.

This brief moment of peace after the Treaty of Wedmore, this little bit of calm, is a perfect starting point for us because it represents a crossroads in time. History unfolded in a way that defined what Britain is today, but at this exact moment, the future is wide open. It is perfect for Total War, and the sandbox nature of our campaign gameplay. History only happened the way it did because of the decisions of people alive at the time. What happens when different choices are made, another path is taken? In Thrones of Britannia, we want you to make those choices, and decide who will rule the Isles.

Next time on the blog we'll be talking about the map for Thrones of Britannia, so be sure to follow us on  Facebook, Twitter or sign up to our forums for news on that.
[/spoiler]

Quote from: Gusington on November 15, 2017, 08:56:46 AM
Martok you would have won the internet for the day with that post but you neglected to include Bawb's most important defensive trait: +15 cranial frying pan resistance.
This was before he married Mrs. Bawb.  We can't assume he'd acquired any cast iron-related defensive abilities at that time yet.  :P 

Quote from: bob48 on November 15, 2017, 05:49:25 PM
Quote from: Martok on November 14, 2017, 11:40:00 PM
Once his house is constructed, effects are as follows: +2 to Public Order, and Bawb becomes a Hero you can recruit into your faction. 

Embedded in an army, Bawb grants +4 Morale to all units, but the commanding general gains the trait "Mustache Envy".  Embedded in a settlement, he improves tax income by 4% and growth rate by a whopping 8%, but at the cost of -3 food consumption.  If Bawb is sent to infiltrate an enemy army, there is a 2% chance each turn that the entire army (including its General) defects to your faction, with no penalties for failure (the troops just love him too much).  If he is sent to infiltrate an enemy settlement, there's an immediate 50% chance he either dies or the entire settlement defects to your faction (regardless of culture).  8)

I like it! :bd:
The ultimate compliment.  You are most kind, good sir.  :notworthy: 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

There was time when Bawb was not married to Mrs. Bawb? Insanity.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

QuoteTotal War: ATTILA and Total War: WARHAMMER both feature large invasions by marauding forces, as did the Viking Invasion expansion for Medieval: Total War, but they don't delve into what comes next. What happens after the invasion? How do countries and people pick themselves back up and adapt to the new reality they're faced with?

...admittedly I haven't played VI in at least ten years, but that isn't what I remember at all about it. Nations in the game were constantly dealing adapting to the new reality of having an established viking area on the Isles, upgrading their economic base (with great difficulty), trying to support standing armies. Still, I suppose he's positioning this as a sequel to VI.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

You have a good memory. Or you're making it all up.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I am waiting for the, "Minnesota Vikings" DLC. Maybe there they'll actually have a chance of winning a Super Bowl.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Hofstadter

I bet were are going to get a n:tw type of deal
Good, but it's just a glorified expansion
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Destraex

Napoleon was one of my favourites. But yes. It was missing the global campaign. Plus napoleon could not die :)

Sir Slash

I managed to get Wellington killed in my NTW Campaign.  #:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.