Main Menu

Cold Waters

Started by Thomasew, September 28, 2016, 09:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanE

Ah, I didn't even think of that forum.  Was just thinking the graphics reminded me of CW.

mirth

The CG may be the best thing going for it.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

RyanE

Also wanted to ask;In CW, is there a mission recorder so you can go back and watch your mission in action?

mirth

Quote from: RyanE on July 27, 2018, 12:42:52 PM
Also wanted to ask;In CW, is there a mission recorder so you can go back and watch your mission in action?

I don't believe so. It's a feature request on Steam, but I don't see where the devs have commented on it.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Toonces

^ Heh.  So cool to see abandoners who used to be part of the team, but totally bailed.

Anyway, once again I'm logging some hours into Cold Waters, and once again I'm getting frustrated with the little (?) things.  Or maybe not so little.

What drives me absolutely crazy about this game is that it always seems to drop me within practically direct path range of whatever I'm going after.  This is even if I'm sitting completely still in an ambush spot near a choke point. 

In the most recent mission, I'm sitting just off the Denmark Strait, perfectly still for about two days waiting for contact.  In that water, one would think I'd get some good CZ on the target coming in, and be able to position myself off-axis.  It's this aspect that is killing me.  The game always drops the player in front of the target, with the target heading towards them, but off axis left or right.  It's a crap shoot as to which direction it is, so you're left to guess.  You go from this very high level operational level, to a very close tactical level, and lack the ability to use your stealth to get off to the side and ambush the target.

I love the game, it's fun, but the mechanics are getting stale.  This game desperately needs to bump out the detect-to-engage range to about 60kyd and give the player a chance to use submarine stealth.  Things just start too much in knife-fight range, every single time.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Yskonyn

I've had it in my library for a good while now but its posts like these that keep me from firing it up. Those are issues that will bother me for sure as well. Sigh.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 08, 2018, 06:15:40 AM
I've had it in my library for a good while now but its posts like these that keep me from firing it up. Those are issues that will bother me for sure as well. Sigh.

It's an excellent game. 

Definitely a modern Red Storm Rising.

Skoop

What would help too is friendly AI ships and subs.  They want you to stop and invasion armada with a single sub ?  Like toonces said they drop you right in there, as soon as you take a shot theres a hail of missile launched torpedoes landing next to you.  It's like the goal of the mission should be survive and shadow the armada, with the secondary of maybe take out a ship or two until the U.S. ships can join in.  The campaign just seems so arcadey with its victory level settings and the you against the world vibe.  Doesn't the pac fleet exists in the hypothetical war with China ?

The sim has a lot of potential, but it needs some more work.  I love the way they made the subs easy to approach and jump into, but lone wolfing against battle groups in the campaign just doesn't seem how it's done in RL...but  I'm no submariner so...

Nefaro

Quote from: Skoop on October 08, 2018, 11:47:57 AM
What would help too is friendly AI ships and subs.  They want you to stop and invasion armada with a single sub ?  Like toonces said they drop you right in there, as soon as you take a shot theres a hail of missile launched torpedoes landing next to you.  It's like the goal of the mission should be survive and shadow the armada, with the secondary of maybe take out a ship or two until the U.S. ships can join in.  The campaign just seems so arcadey with its victory level settings and the you against the world vibe.  Doesn't the pac fleet exists in the hypothetical war with China ?

The sim has a lot of potential, but it needs some more work.  I love the way they made the subs easy to approach and jump into, but lone wolfing against battle groups in the campaign just doesn't seem how it's done in RL...but  I'm no submariner so...

You're in a nuclear attack sub operating on the enemy's front doorstep or even in his back yard, not running a surface group.  You're all about sneak attacks.

As for spawning into each engagement and getting detected right off the bat, I think one of the more recent updates made the game more difficult.  Run it on "Normal" difficulty, at most, for awhile.  It's more challenging than it used to be when the game first came out.  Pretty sure your opponents get a sensor bonus if you bump it up to "Realistic", among other things.

Also keep in mind that how fast you're moving on the campaign map when running into an enemy group transfers to the encounter part.  Left & Right mouse buttons move you at different speeds on the campaign map.  You ideally wanna be stopped on campaign map when an enemy runs into you, or running at the slow cruise speed at most.  If you're holding down the full transit speed mouse button, they're gonna hear you first because you're pretty much deaf at that speed. 

The LMB/RMB/Stopped map speed thing caused problems for a lot of people learning the game.  It got me for awhile.  Couldn't figure out why I was starting my encounters blazing along at 25-30 knots until I looked it up and discovered the other campaign map speeds.  You still have to hit (Shift+S) to enable silent running as soon as you spawn in to the combat side. 

fran

Currently 1/2 price on Steam

I've added on my wishlist, it seams to be quite a learning curve on this one.

It sounds positive, is there a lot of replay-ability in it?

The_Admiral

That's pretty much a remaster of Microprose's Redstorm Rising. A must-by for anybody who ever had some sort of affinity with nuke boats, and very replayable (encounters & tactical situations change all the time). The original gameplay was top notch, and was fully recreated here. To be enjoyed with little concern and restrain.

Redwolf

Quote from: mirth on July 27, 2018, 01:03:11 PM
It is very impressive how much they keep adding to the game

https://steamcommunity.com/games/541210/announcements/detail/1690421280631840291

Yes. I'm happy I gave this developer some money.

Might buy the soundtrack just because.

fran

Thank you  ;D  :bd:

jomni

I played a lot of this when released.