Delta Force coming back

Started by Grim.Reaper, August 20, 2023, 08:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigwolf

Sounded intriguing, because the original was pretty fun at the time.  Unfortunately if you watch the trailer, it goes from immersive 'Black Hawk Down'-like graphics to some weird, sci-fi, Crysis clone in record time.

How they could make a 30 second trailer that disjointed and jarring is quite the accomplishment.

al_infierno

Looks a bit like a generic hero-style shooter with the Delta Force name plastered on top.   :undecided:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

Meh.

The original Delta Force was a pretty darned good milsim. 

This looks like more Call of Duty crap.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

MikeGER

if it dont uses Voxelspace it is not Deltaforce ^^

imagine what a relaistic landscape could be done with todays computing power and voxels

well maybe other technologies evolved so far that it is possible to get the same visual results for the user with less effort :huh:   

SirAndrewD

Quote from: MikeGER on August 21, 2023, 03:02:17 AMif it dont uses Voxelspace it is not Deltaforce ^^

imagine what a relaistic landscape could be done with todays computing power and voxels

well maybe other technologies evolved so far that it is possible to get the same visual results for the user with less effort :huh:   

You answered your own question about Voxels. 

Voxels are superior but even modern home rigs with top of the line gear would choke trying to render them at a very high level of realism. 

Pixels can get closer while still giving the user a playable experience. 

There are a few voxel games out there, but if you look at them they're rendered in fairly low fidelity in order to use the tech and keep it functional. 

The original Delta Force was massively ahead of its time for its ability to render environments though.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Say, who did the actual Blackhawk Down game? Wasn't that the same people on the Delta Force engine? (At work, can't look it up.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 21, 2023, 12:35:32 PMSay, who did the actual Blackhawk Down game? Wasn't that the same people on the Delta Force engine? (At work, can't look it up.)

Same game series.  Novalogic did all the originals.  Black Hawk Down was Delta Force 6.  By then they'd dropped the voxel space engine.

DetCord

This looks awful (0:25) and the voice over is cringe inducing. No idea why they decided to go this cliched, weird, BOps like route.

Destraex

That does look very generic and has a superheros vibe. I will stick with hell let loose.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"