IL 2 Surm. Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Started by Johnnie, February 03, 2018, 10:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father Ted

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 05, 2018, 10:54:22 AM
I wish I was better at flight sims, I never got around to trying one with a joystick though.

Joystick would make a difference, as would TIR and pedals.

Having said that, given that the likes of DCS, BoX and CloD are designed to mimic the flight characteristics of real aircraft, I think there is no reason any of us* should expect not to suck.  Consider that the people who did this for real had to pass aptitude tests and were intensively schooled in the theory and practice of powered flight (with any not fit for purpose being weeded out) before getting anywhere near fighting, and then think how we approach these games:  I reckon in 99 cases out of 100 it's the cart before the horse - trying to shoot stuff down before learning how to fly.

Of course, because of infinite virtual lives, you can do it this way, but I think a lot of people get put off by their lack of success before they get that far.  Those who do push through to being able to enjoy the games are either mad keen to be Biggles and/or have some prior appreciation of how aeroplanes work.

However, I also think that to "git gud" at these things (especially in MP) one needs an innate ability for spatial awareness.  To a degree this can be learned but there will always be those who are better than others.  That might sound depressing but, even though I suck at MP, I prefer things to be genuinely skill-based rather than the RPG way of progression.

*excepting any real-world pilots