Space Hulk: Deathwing

Started by MetalDog, June 30, 2014, 06:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tpek on May 22, 2018, 08:30:49 AM
The enhanced edition of the game is out now on Steam (it's a separate entry in your game library).

Been waiting for this for a long time. Very excited. Also Inquisitor Martyr should be coming out today or tomorrow too...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 22, 2018, 09:39:49 AM
The enhanced edition of the game is out now on Steam (it's a separate entry in your game library).

Been waiting for this for a long time. Very excited. Also Inquisitor Martyr should be coming out today or tomorrow too...

Inquisitor Martyr won't be coming out before June.
It was delayed a while ago.

EDIT: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=16906.msg607798#msg607798

Geezer

I think he meant the beta which should be out today or tomorrow.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tpek on May 22, 2018, 12:14:09 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 22, 2018, 09:39:49 AM

Inquisitor Martyr won't be coming out before June.
It was delayed a while ago.

EDIT: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=16906.msg607798#msg607798

The beta is being released either today or tomorrow for those who were part of the alpha test.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

spelk

Been playing this on console recently, and last night we had a group of four bone white terminators...

Here's my rather over-excited and hurried AAR:

QuoteSo that Deathwing thing was pretty hectic last night.

Lulled into a false sense of security by sampling the single player campaign, we were immediately ambushed by laz rifle fire, rocket launchers, and chewing gnawing genestealer filth from the get go. No respite. No mercy.

Our bolters glowed white hot. And we fell to tooth and claw.

We started to get our act together, when we traversed corridors allowing for front and rear coverage, real time overwatch. The flame cannon helped a lot.

The sheer amount of foes they throw at you, especially at the crucial end of mission stage, is overwhelming, and a single battle brother fallen, can lead to a domino effect of death and wipeout.

Having sampled it first hand, I think the pure melee Assault class is less effective than a support class with a bolter. He can only hammer swipe or shield bash individuals, and protecting your team mates from incoming fire with the shield is very circumstantial - unless you're in a corridor with only one or two directions of contact, a shield isn't going to block jack shit in a more open arena of death, when the clamouring Xenos are already in your face from all sides.

Seems to me the cornerstone might be the Heavy Weapons guy, advance to an appropriate spot where visibility and angle of attack is from a limited direction, backs to a wall, or a long corridor, then the others cluster about him, and apply additional pressure to the horde as he mows anything and everything down. Having the heavy gunner move and sway about with his fire, is probably not realising his full potential. Like in Dawn of War II, your heavy bolters needed to be planted, and allowed to exercise the full authority of their clip belts.

The firey Tactical marine can keep flanks and rears protected, the Apothecary can add flank fire with a Redemption bolter (shotgun) that has kick back. The zappy Librarian or Chaplain can area frazzle or off-tank a little.

I think one of the standout moments for me, as an Apothecary, was when I had three Deathwing terminators lined up emptying everything down a corridor, and I could pick off stray flankers, and keep dropping single heals or the area group hug heal when necessary. The sight of bolter, assault and flame cannon blazing away was truly euphoric. Organised firepower, applied liberally, was a beautiful thing.. I'm putting on my Rorke's Drift T-shirt and Pith helmet. Front rank... fire!!

Our Tactician pointed out last night, that you earn rewards (like loot boxes but without the transactions) but you also earn reputation and you can spend that in the "customize" menu, on any of the classes, on any of the armour/weapons/skills. Which means you can cosmetically change your looks with it, and even some weapons can be enhanced with things like larger clips, more critical damage, optical scope enhancers (like Infra-red vision). Armours too, with different resistances to certain types of fire, or predator. There is a lot of scope for tailoring your class build. But it will probably require a fair bit of grinding to gain enough rep to get where you want to be, all tooled up and shiny like.

From our three missions (all failed) we roughly got about 10,000 rep. So imagine if we succeed at a mission, how much rep we might reap!! yay!

Really enjoyed the co-op nature of the play, and how we managed to sometimes scrape our way through using each others skills... and how we fell together as battle brothers in the eternal war against the cursed minions of the warp!!

Praise the Lion!

For the Emporer!

Geezer

My recollection was that the game got pretty bad reviews when it first came out.  Is the enhanced edition worth considering now?
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Jarhead0331

The original game was fantastic. The negative reviews were a joke.

Sure there were some technical issues, but I loved it overall. For me, the enhanced edition still feels like more or less the same game. The customization options are welcome.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Geezer

Thanks.  I love the look of it and it's WH40K so that is a big plus.  I'm just too old and slow for most first person twitch shooters.  Will check it out though.

JasonPratt

It's verrrry clunky for a FPS, as might be expected from wearing tank-armor, so... good for old and slow?! In effect you're fighting the twitch shooters tho...

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 23, 2018, 08:30:21 AM
The original game was fantastic. The negative reviews were a joke.

Assuming you could get competent friends, the game was okayish for me. It did not once feel like Space Hulk to me, though it often looked that way. More like a clunkier L4D Space Marine rebootquel.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!