What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

As somebody told me when I was just a wee little boy, God told the Indians that if they danced for him, he would ensure that they would defeat their enemies and keep control of their lands. I remember thinking " Gee, what a lying asshole god was."
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

bayonetbrant

yeah, well...  in Liberty or Death, the Indians have control over a lot of the western frontier provinces, where there is absolutely no reason for any of the other combatants to go, other than to poke the Indians.

The French aren't even in the game until it's too late to do anything.
The Colonials aren't strong enough to poke the Indians and still run from the British.
The British have no reason to pick a fight with their nominal allies.

So the Indians set up in the frontier, build a crapload of villages, and everyone finally realizes what Custer realized ("Holy crap! That's a lot of Indians!") there's too many of them to put much of a dent in their head start of villages.

Note that this really only applies if you're playing the full-length game.  Shorter games and the Indians don't have enough time to build all those villages, and the Colonials are a little stronger at the start and can afford to bleed off some strength to chase around Indians.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

^I'm assuming you are talking about multiplayer and not solo? I'll have to check out what BGG says about it. If nothing else I'm sure someone has already houseruled a way around it. Not sure when I'll get it to table but it will be solo when I do.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on March 10, 2018, 08:46:24 AM
^I'm assuming you are talking about multiplayer and not solo? I'll have to check out what BGG says about it. If nothing else I'm sure someone has already houseruled a way around it. Not sure when I'll get it to table but it will be solo when I do.

multiplayer, not solo
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Ubercat

Fortunately, Andean Abyss and FitL seem to be much better balanced than that! They're the only two COIN games that I've played.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Ubercat on March 10, 2018, 09:53:29 AM
Fortunately, Andean Abyss and FitL seem to be much better balanced than that! They're the only two COIN games that I've played.

LoD is pretty balanced in any scenario except the long one.  And the long one is only unbalanced if you have an Indian player content to stay out of the fray and just reinforce/build on the frontier and cede the coast to everyone else.

mirth

Last night's group game. Play test of a WWI night trench raid game done in 28mm and using Operation Squad for rules.

Custom table built by my buddy Wayne, who will be running the game at Huzzah! (our local Con).

German assault troops. Since this is a night action, Wayne painted the figs and terrain in shades of gray. Creates a very cool effect.

Low angle shot of the table looking through the wire toward the trench line. Wayne did an amazing job on the table.

As you may have noticed in the other pics, my camera lens has a scratch that blurs part of the pic. Worked out pretty well for this pic though as it makes it look like the battlefield is covered by smoke or fog.

German troops approaching the wire (didn't actually cross here. There were three gaps in the wire where the Germans could cross).

Later in the game with the Germans assaulting a portion of the British held trenches. The British had the advantage of cover, but the Germans were trained trench fighters, liberally equipped with grenades and gear for close assaulting.

Wider view of the assault under way.

As might be expected from this type of game, losses were heavy on both sides. In the end, it was a minor German victory. The assault troops were able to break into the left and center, destroying two British squads in the process.

Very fun game. The rules are easy to pick up and we were able to play to a conclusion in about 4 hours. It will make a perfect convention game.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Silent Disapproval Robot

Looks amazing!  (and now I feel shame due to the dozen half painted minis that have been sitting in such a state on my bench for the last 2 months.)

bob48

It does look good - very atmospheric!
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bbmike

+1. The photos have a 'historic' look to them because of the colors (or lack of).  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, that's absolutely some of the best work I've ever seen! Kudos and I bet it was a helluva lot of fun.  :bd:

bbmike

Just in!

I've only played the base game once so far but I've really enjoyed it. I also have the Close Encounters expansion (which was hard to find).

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Have you take the shrink off yet?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

Not yet, but at least it's off of Fields of Despair!
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth