Re-reading old books vs. reading a new book

Started by Toonces, July 03, 2015, 11:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I am notorious for re-reading books I have really enjoyed.  A friend and I were talking about this a while back and he couldn't understand why somebody would read a book they've already read.  Their reasoning was something like, "You already know what happens and how it ends, so why would you read it again?"  That's true.  But I feel like re-reading a particularly good book allows you to recognize stuff the second (or subsequent times) through the book that you might have missed the first time.  Also, re-reading a good book is like putting on a favorite sweatshirt, or eating your favorite fast food.  You just know that it's going to satisfy from experience.

As I get older, I find that my tolerance for books that don't grab me within, say, 25%, is not good.  And I've found that there are some books I really enjoy, but there are many others that leave me feeling unsatisfied.  This is hard to articulate.  I read a lot.  More than an average person.  And so I have become increasingly critical of the books I read.

So I ask this question mostly because I have a huge backlog of unread books.  The Kindle is fantastic in this respect with all of the free literature available.  But lately I've been trying to get into books and failing to be captured by the story.  You know what I mean- if it's a good book you can't wait to read more, but sometimes it just feels like a chore I have to get back to. 

With that in mind, I find myself wanting to go back and re-visit books I've already read.  But, I am trying to rationalize this when there are so many books out there that I haven't yet read.  So my question is basically where you stand on re-reading books vs. reading new books.  I guess there is a gaming analogy here, where you have a hundred+ game backlog on Steam, but you still boot up that old Total War game that always satisfies.  What is your philosophy on this?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Mr. Bigglesworth

I do that with movies more than books.When I reread, it is usually a story that I want to refresh in my mind. Technical books of course you go for the specifics you are after. Kindle, ebooks have far more value for that reason on textbooks and technical books.

I wish i could trade in all my old books for kindle versions.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Steelgrave

I'm a voracious reader and I often reread old favorites. Like you, a new novel has a certain amount of time to catch my attention....if I'm rolling my eyes at the dialogue or unrealistic plot, the timer is definitely ticking with me. As far as rereading books I've read before, I often pick up things the second (or third) time around that I didn't see at first or maybe I'm just enjoying the sharp dialogue between characters again. It's like revisiting an old friend.

I have found that with the ease of selection a Kindle offers, I reread books somewhat less often. Still, I've read the Game of Thrones books three times each, the entire Honor Harrington series twice, Lonesome Dove two or three times, The Winds of War (and War and Rememberance) about once every ten years, Dune at least three times, you get the idea. I do find that some books don't "age" well, such as The Mote in God's Eye or The God's Themselves, yet rereading Heinlein and Bradbury has never lost it's magic. And rereading a monster novel lets me skip the slow parts (I'm looking at you, George R.R. Martin) and just enjoy the good stuff.

I think you're right when you make the gaming comparison, but if I'm bored (or too lazy) to get into something new, an old game or novel fits like houseshoes. The bottom line is enjoyment. And making time in the bathroom productive  8)

mirth

I re-read one of Clancy's better novels every summer. Probably going to be Hunt for Red October this year.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

I read almost all my books multiple times, especial if its the next book of a series, then I usually re-read all the preceding books first.

Some military history books I may read again if I'm playing a game based on that specific period.

A strange one is LotR, which I first read back in the 1960's. I have most likely read it 15-20 times, and I always find a bit that I either did not remember or misinterpreted.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bbmike

I re-read books that I really liked. I don't remember everything that happened anyway and enjoy it just as much. And unlike what Jerry said in Seinfeld, I KEEP the books I like.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

there's a dozen or so books that I'll go back to on a regular basis, but I try hard to read at least two new ones each year
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

I'm with bob on LotR.  There was a time that I re-read them once every 18 months or so over a 15 year period.  It's been at least 5 since I last read them and it's past time to do so again.

I am terrible about remembering specifics in books.  Or movies for that matter.  I just know I enjoyed something, so, if it's time to pick something up to read, I have no qualms about it being something I have already read.

As for new books, unlike so many other areas of my life, with books, I feel obligated to finish once I start.  It has to be absolutely craptacular for me to put it down and walk away.  The best example of that I can think of was Frank Frazetta's 'Death Dealer,' book.  It was based on his famous painting.  Trust me when I say, as an author, Frazetta makes a GREAT painter!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

I've quit on 2 books in my life. One was a bad Len Deighton espionage novel. The other was book 4 of the Wheel of Time series, which was also when I quit the series.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Toonces

I wish I had the discipline of you guys.  My library is littered with the debris of unfinished books.  Even books I was enjoying...my tastes vary so much that I frequently become distracted by something else and never go back to the original book.

I feel much better knowing I'm not alone in re-reading books, though.  I didn't think I'd be in bad company here.  Really, though, there are just so many fantastic books waiting to be read on my Kindle, I hate myself a little for treading old ground sometimes.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Toonces on July 04, 2015, 12:51:03 PM
I wish I had the discipline of you guys.  My library is littered with the debris of unfinished books.  Even books I was enjoying...my tastes vary so much that I frequently become distracted by something else and never go back to the original book.

I feel much better knowing I'm not alone in re-reading books, though.  I didn't think I'd be in bad company here.  Really, though, there are just so many fantastic books waiting to be read on my Kindle, I hate myself a little for treading old ground sometimes.

There is nothing wrong with unfinished books. Sometimes what you think you will learn from a book ends up being different from what is inside it. Publishers probably sell more books that way. Sometimes it may be your expectations that are off, but not often. I find if the info inside takes me in a legit different useful direction, i am glad i got the book. IME it is far more often the case that a book is left because the content is uninteresting. Or life intrudes.

JasonPratt

I usually prefer to re-read books than to read new ones, on about a 2 or 3:1 ratio. But my technical hobby requires me to study a lot of new books all the time (not all actually 'new', some very old), and to be even moderately competent at it I made myself convert over to reading a new:re-read ration of more like 50:1. :(

When I spent nine months last year doing a climactic re-read of The Wheel of Time, and reading practically no new books (except for everything from Crossroads of Twilight onward, which I hadn't read yet), that felt so great...  :smitten:

Except for, you know, the increasing slog up to and into CoT.  :uglystupid2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Mr. Bigglesworth

I did read some of the WoT books a second time. I agree, they were better than the first time. What does that say about our desire to get to the last battle? I think we are more on the wavelength of the author when we let go because we know the climax ending is not going to happen. We can read for the crafting of the words. So if we reread and it is shit the second time too, we know what the deal really is.  :2funny:

Gusington

I will very rarely refer to books I have read for research when writing. The whole excuse I made up for buying the thousands I have is that they will one day be used for 'researching' my own books.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

I too reread most of the books that I own, and a few that I particularly enjoy (such as the Foundation series and The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings) I make a point of reading once a year or so.  I have a similar philosophy with most of the movies I own as well. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces