Which Grogs are in Scotland?

Started by bayonetbrant, May 30, 2018, 07:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

Thanks for the tip - I also now have it on my wish list  :)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Toonces

I've got The Wallace, but I haven't read it yet.  I want to finish The Bruce Trilogy one more time and then I'm going to read Wallace.

He also has a Stewart Trilogy which I have in hardback.  I didn't like it nearly as much as Bruce, though.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

BanzaiCat

The Wallace is only 0.99 on Amazon for Kindle, so I'll grab it - thanks for the recommend.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: BanzaiCat on June 07, 2018, 04:42:32 PM
The Wallace is only 0.99 on Amazon for Kindle, so I'll grab it - thanks for the recommend.
0.99??? £3.99 here!!
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: BanzaiCat on June 07, 2018, 11:33:51 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 07, 2018, 09:34:27 AM
Which book is that BC? 'cos my sister got me a book once and I started reading it and it was exactly as you described and really very boring for it. Also the section on William Wallace wasn't even a chapter yet it was very detailed on religion, Picts etc. Not even much on the Romans iirc.

Very boring book and did not get finished.

Wish I could recall, JD. Tried to look it up through my Amazon account but cannot locate it. Next time I'm on my Paperwhite (probably later tonight), I'll check and see. None of the history of Scotland books are ringing a bell in a Kindle search.

It's fairly dry reading, but in its own way somewhat interesting. I really did not expect him to start millions of years ago. But yeah, me not going back to it speaks volumes as to how interesting it was, ultimately.

I think I got to the portion about William Wallace and found it unimpressive. That's about where I left off. Probably the same book.
Is it this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotland-History-Nation-David-Ross/dp/1842043862/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528410404&sr=8-1&keywords=scotland+history+of+a+nation

The book starts with an intro to "modern" Scotland and Chapter 2 then kicks off with the title "After the Ice Age"

The part on Wallace starts on page 82 with a 2 and a bit pages.

It's a 384 page book. But it's more of a brief description of Scottish History than anything really in-depth. To be fair to it, it's the "History or a Nation"...it's either going to be bloody thick (1000+ pages) and fairly detailed or thinner (400 pages) and a sweep through.
Alba gu' brath

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.