Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: Erax on February 19, 2019, 12:14:10 PM
One observation regarding legions: we should send one regular legion to the new province if possible. It will allow provincial forces to fight at full strength.

As far as I understand the rules, the basic land strength of the Province will fight at full strength regardless (equivalent to 1 Legion in this case), and any raised militia are going to fight at half strength regardless. The Garrison gives the Commander proper Legions he can multiply strength on with his Mil Skill (which he can't do to base strength or militia), and Vet up (with loyalty effects and house-rule defensive bonuses compared to regulars); but as far as I know, the presence of any Legion(s) will not affect combat capability of the milita or the inherent base strength.

More to the point, until a Province is attacked, a Garrison is totally useless. Cisalpine Gaul isn't threatened by any of the Wars on the board, only by a low-chance random event Barbarian raid.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Erax

Check 2.02.32, provincial armies count in full if a garrison legion is present.

On another point, Flaminius cannot be Censor, he lost Prior Consul status when his predecessor died.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Erax on February 19, 2019, 04:29:08 PM
Check 2.02.32, provincial armies count in full if a garrison legion is present.

On another point, Flaminius cannot be Censor, he lost Prior Consul status when his predecessor died.

Ah! Both true! -- I'll fix the Sabrerule flowchart in regard to the provincial militia accordingly.

Still no point in putting a Legion there, especially in a crisis, unless the Province is at real and significant risk.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Tripoli

Here's what I propose:
1) Cato the Elder (Populist) as Censor with the public agreement that there will be no prosecutions this turn of anyone, Unless they play a Tribune card to to thwart the majority of the Senate in any issue this turn.
2) Julius and Aelius (militarist) as consuls
3)Valerius (Aristocrates) as governor of Galia Cisalpina
4) We raise 3 legions, and 1 fleet, giving us a total of 21 legions and 12 fleets, and 14 talents in the treasury as a reserve (as a note, we will probably be passing around the hat and relying on the generosity of the senators next turn to fund the purchases we will need to prosecute the next batch of wars.

I propose we publicly vote on the first proposals initially, and get that round of business taken care of.  I will state publicly that assuming these are passed, I will be proposing Lucius Aemilius Paullus Macedonicus (Conservatives) to become Dictator.  Although I can't direct anything past this point, I understand that he will be nominating Manlius as the MoH and going off to prosecute the Macedonians with a force, while Julius takes the remaining force against the Syrians.

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

IncompetentIdiot

Quote from: Tripoli on February 19, 2019, 07:23:41 PM
Here's what I propose:
1) Cato the Elder (Populist) as Censor with the public agreement that there will be no prosecutions this turn of anyone, Unless they play a Tribune card to to thwart the majority of the Senate in any issue this turn.
4) We raise 3 legions, and 1 fleet, giving us a total of 21 legions and 12 fleets, and 14 talents in the treasury as a reserve (as a note, we will probably be passing around the hat and relying on the generosity of the senators next turn to fund the purchases we will need to prosecute the next batch of wars.

I propose we publicly vote on the first proposals initially, and get that round of business taken care of.  I will state publicly that assuming these are passed, I will be proposing Lucius Aemilius Paullus Macedonicus (Conservatives) to become Dictator.  Although I can't direct anything past this point, I understand that he will be nominating Manlius as the MoH and going off to prosecute the Macedonians with a force, while Julius takes the remaining force against the Syrians.

I'll support that.

malize

As indicated earlier, the populist faction is all for saving the republic and will vote for.

Also, forgot the previous consul requirement (shouldn't after all that EU:Rome I used to play...)

JasonPratt

Y'all definitely have a majority voting bloc, then (at 80 votes -- the other Players could only muster 33 against, if they even wanted to oppose it, and I can't imagine why AzTank would be opposed to Paullus being Dictator.)

At the risk of sounding like a Fortran compiler, though, there is still one invalidity.  :hide:

The Dictator Julius cannot be Proposed as one of the new Consuls. (He can be re-appointed as Dictator immediately by the new Consuls; and he can be a Consul later after spending a Turn not being Dictator or Consul. But he cannot be Dictator and then immediately Consul the next Turn.)

If the primary goal is to send Paullus Macedonicus and a main Militarist MoH against the Macedonians, with a secondary goal of hitting the Syrians with one of the other main Militarists, then let me make some adjustments (checked by Erax and other Players familiar with the rules). My intention is to keep the details as equal as possible while still being valid and still providing the main goal of the Contract.

!!! THE TURN ELEVEN SYRIO-MACEDONIAN PROSECUTION CONTRACT !!!

Item 0: All Players joining this public Contract shall agree to vote for its Proposals.

Item 1: The Dictator Julius shall Propose the Militarists Aelius and Manlius as Consuls.

Item 2: Once voted in, Manlius shall agree to be Field Consul, with Aelius as Roman Consul.

Item 3: The Consuls shall agree to appoint Paullus Macedonicus of the Conservatives as Dictator.

Item 4: Dictator Paullus shall appoint Julius of the Militarists as his Master of Horse.

Item 5: Dictator Paullus shall Propose Cato the Elder of the Populists, as Censor.

Item 6: Censor Cato shall agree that the only valid targets of Corruption Investigation this Turn, at his discretion otherwise, will be senators who vote against or veto some item of the Contract to this point.

(Sidenote: a veto is impossible so far anyway, all Proposals per se being made by a Dictator.)

Item 7: Dictator Paullus shall Propose Valerius of the Aristocrats as Governor of Gallia Cisalpina.

Item 8: Dictator Paullus shall batch Propose Raising 3 Legions and 1 Fleet to Active.

Item 9: Dictator Paullus shall Propose to Deploy Consul Manlius with a Force of Legions (and sufficient Supply Fleets) against the Syrian War.

Item 10: Dictator Paullus shall Propose to Deploy himself and his MoH Julius with a Force of Legions (and sufficient Supply Fleets) against the Macedonian War.

(Sidenote: the terms so far allow leeway in the number and constituency of Legions to be Deployed, per any further discussions and recommendations.)

With his departure from Rome, Paullus shall close the Senate (and its Phase).

ArizonaTank

Quote from: IncompetentIdiot on February 19, 2019, 07:47:52 PM
Quote from: Tripoli on February 19, 2019, 07:23:41 PM
Here's what I propose:

I'll support that.

Conservatives agree
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

The Infothread post with attached Sabrerule flowcharts has been updated to the newest versions (both doc and pdf).

If anyone discovers that the Living Rules have also been updated, let me know! -- right now I'm still using April 2018. (And maybe for this game we shouldn't change horses halfway across the river. I'm house-ruling various things anyway that are crazy or unclear in the current rules.)

Tripoli

JasonPratt

Okay, since a (super-)majority of Players agrees with the Contract in its initial form, and since my revised-to-be-legally-valid version includes practically all points except switching out Julius for Manlius, I'll start processing the Contract.

Processing the Contract:

Militarists Aelius and Manlius are voted in as Consuls per the Dictator Julius' Proposal and Contractual agreements. Aelius goes up 5 Inf from 21 to 26. Manlius goes up 5 Inf from 18 to 23. Total Militarist Influence up 10 to 72. Note that now the Aristocrats aren't the most Influential Faction, and so they won't have 10 extra activist knight votes subsequently! Fortunately, the super-majority won't matter (with AzTank's agreement to the contract).

Tripoli, being in control of both Consuls, declares Aelius to be Roman and Manlius to be Field Consul.

Tripoli thus also declares, by his unified Consular agreement, to appoint Paullus Macedonicus of the Conservatives as Dictator. His Inf goes up 7, from 4 to 11. Total Influence up from 20 to 27.

Paullus takes over Presiding Magistrate duties as HRAO, and as Dictator he appoints Julius of the Militarists as his Master of Horse. Julius' Influence goes up 3 from 23 to 26. Total Inf from 72 to 75.

Per Dictator Paullus' Proposal, and by Contractual agreement, the Populist Cato the Elder is voted as Censor. His Influence goes up 5, from 5 to 10. Total Influence up from 24 to 29.

Per Contracted agreement, Cato can only Investigate the Corruption of any Player's senators who voted against the Contracted Proposals (or who tried to veto them, but all Proposals so far came from a Dictator so could not be vetoed anyway.) Since there was a Contracted majority, and no advantage to voting against (except for Erax, but he Contracted to vote For all Proposals), I shall presume no one tried voting against the Proposals. Cato declines Prosecutions, and passes PM duties back to Paullus. All Suspicions of Corruption delete until next Turn.

Before Paullus continues, per private instructions to me, Erax has Plautius the Pontifex Maximus re-assign the priesthood of Cornelius Scipio Africanus, of the Aristocrats, to Flaminius of the Progressives. Scipio's Influence goes down 1 point to 23; total down to 66. Flam's influence goes up 1 point to 4; total up to 21.

Erax also at this point, per private instructions, plays a Faction Intrigue card from his hand: Influence Peddling!

Erax selects the Plutocrat Frog, not too surprisingly (since he has four Faction cards). I have alerted both of them what he randomly drew. As with all Faction card transfers between Players, Erax will not receive this card until the Revolution Phase, but I've put it in his Delayed Transfer until then.

The Contract proceeds. For the final Mandatory Business, Valerius of the Aristocrats is elected, by Paullus' Proposal and by Contractual voting, to be the Republic's first Provincial Governor! -- namely of Gallia Cisalpina. He immediately leaves Rome (the card is put on his card): normal Aristocrat Vote tally goes down 6, from 19 to 13. The term number is set to 3.

Starting Other Business, by Paullus' Batch Proposal, and by Contractual voting, 3 Legions (the 3rd, 8th, and 21st) are Raised from the Force Pool to Active Forces, along with 1 Fleet (the 9th). This costs the Republic 4x10 cash, down from 72 to 32.

At this point I have to pause the processing of the Contract, because I'm not entirely sure how many of which Legions are supposed to be Deployed where and with whom.

The Deployments must be, by Contract, and in this order, Field Consul Manlius and 2 Support Fleets against the Syrian War; and then the Dictator Paullus plus MoH Julius plus 12 Support Fleets against the Macedonian War.

AzTank (perhaps with advice from others based on prior discussions) must declare the Legion dispositions for those Deployments now. There are currently 21 Active Legions, 3 of them Veterans.

Tripoli

I didn't feel that I could (or should) tell the dictator how to deploy the forces.  I earlier made a proposed force deployment.   For reference it was:

1) Lucius Aemilius Paullus Macedonicus (Conservatives) becomes Dictator.  Takes Manlius of the Militarists as MoH.  Prosecutes the evil Phillip V in the Macedonians with 12 regular legions and 10 fleets. Odd are: ((12 (Madedonian War Strength) + 6 (Phillip V))- (12 (Legions)-5 (Macedonicus)-(7 Manlius (Normally an 8, but limited by the # of legions))= +6 DRM=37% chance of 18 or more, and all losses are halved due to Macedonicus's special ability.

2) Julius (Militarists) and 9 legions including the 3 vets and the 2 naval v. Antioch and the Syrians.  Odds are ((6 (Syrian War) + 5(Antioch III))-((9 Legions)+3 (veteran legions)+9 (Julius))=+10 DRM=83% chance of victory with no losses.

However, we purchased one more legion than that proposed force deployment had, so we could improve the odds of the (I believe Macedonian war) by sending the extra legion there.  ALternatively, we could take one of the Syrian Vet legions, send it to Macedonicus, and send the extra legion to Julius.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Tripoli on February 20, 2019, 10:18:56 PM
I didn't feel that I could (or should) tell the dictator how to deploy the forces.  I earlier made a proposed force deployment.   For reference it was:

1) Lucius Aemilius Paullus Macedonicus (Conservatives) becomes Dictator.  Takes Manlius of the Militarists as MoH.  Prosecutes the evil Phillip V in the Macedonians with 12 regular legions and 10 fleets. Odd are: ((12 (Madedonian War Strength) + 6 (Phillip V))- (12 (Legions)-5 (Macedonicus)-(7 Manlius (Normally an 8, but limited by the # of legions))= +6 DRM=37% chance of 18 or more, and all losses are halved due to Macedonicus's special ability.

2) Julius (Militarists) and 9 legions including the 3 vets and the 2 naval v. Antioch and the Syrians.  Odds are ((6 (Syrian War) + 5(Antioch III))-((9 Legions)+3 (veteran legions)+9 (Julius))=+10 DRM=83% chance of victory with no losses.

However, we purchased one more legion than that proposed force deployment had, so we could improve the odds of the (I believe Macedonian war) by sending the extra legion there.  ALternatively, we could take one of the Syrian Vet legions, send it to Macedonicus, and send the extra legion to Julius.

so let it be written, so let it be done...sorry wrong movie.  Yes, and yes to the extra legion to Macedonia
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.