Chinese man-made moons!

Started by jomni, October 19, 2018, 04:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 19, 2018, 09:43:00 PM
As an amateur backyard astronomer I seriously hope this never takes off in the US. 

I love the stars at night.  I have a hard enough time seeing anything with the light pollution as it is.

I'm becoming more and more an armchair astronomer these days ...

When I went on a cruise some years ago I imagined this should be a good opportunity to see the night sky in the middle of the ocean without any light pollution from nearby cities.

Then I found out cruise ships look like this at night  :'(  >:(.

besilarius

See if you can take a ride on a merchant, or even a warship.
They only have the running lights required for safe navigation.  I used to enjoy going up to the signal bridge and looking at the sky.
Of course, in the swells, the ship was bobbing from side to side.  You could see a gorgeous sky of stars, as they moved twenty degrees to the right, and then twenty degrees to the left.
Better than any light show at a concert.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Toonces

Heh, funny you say that.  On my ship we were absolutely forbidden to go outside the skin of the ship at night.  I remember, though, one night I was going from one part of the ship to another and decided to hell with it and went out onto the catwalk to get to another part of the ship as a shortcut.  Big, big mistake.  I have never, ever seen such a complete absence of light in my life.  I could quite literally not see my hand an inch in front of my face.  I'm fortunate I was able to find the hatch and get back inside the ship.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Ubercat

Quote from: Toonces on October 20, 2018, 10:30:25 PM
Heh, funny you say that.  On my ship we were absolutely forbidden to go outside the skin of the ship at night.  I remember, though, one night I was going from one part of the ship to another and decided to hell with it and went out onto the catwalk to get to another part of the ship as a shortcut.  Big, big mistake.  I have never, ever seen such a complete absence of light in my life.  I could quite literally not see my hand an inch in front of my face.  I'm fortunate I was able to find the hatch and get back inside the ship.

What ship? I can only imagine a bubble head not being allowed outside, for obvious reasons!

I was on the Independence CV62 in the late 80's and I still remember having to stand balls to 4AM watch at the top of the island. Dead of winter. Bitter cold but very clear sky and almost full moon. The big dipper seemed to cover half the sky.

I got out just before desert shield and never went further than a few hundred miles off the east coast. Maybe that explains the lax security. That or the fact that no one had cell phones.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell