The 2014 Running Football Thread (College & Pro)

Started by bayonetbrant, February 07, 2014, 10:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Yep, counting down for the combine, draft, etc

Let's start talking 2014 already!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

bayonetbrant

http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/06/nfl-offseason-storylines-2014/?eref=sihp

of note to a few of you

QuoteWhat will Texans do with No. 1 pick?

Burke: Take a quarterback.

Are we really going to have this debate for the next three months? The Texans have two dynamic receivers in place in Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins, a top-tier running back (when he's healthy) in Arian Foster, solid tight ends, decent line play ...

They need a quarterback. Period.

Look, Case Keenum's arrival was fun for a bit and Matt Schaub was at least adequate in the past, but if this team can find its Andrew Luck — and, granted, there might not be a QB of Luck's talent level here — it is a playoff contender again.

Bringing in Jadeveon Clowney is a fun thought, especially when one considers him paired with J.J. Watt. Teams that finish 2-14, though, cannot afford luxury picks. The only other real option on the table, aside from a QB pick, would be to trade down if there's an overwhelming offer on the table. If Houston could drop a couple spots, add a couple additional high picks and still think QB, it should entertain that possibility. Otherwise, just play it smart and get a starting quarterback.

Farrar: Take a quarterback — as long as you believe he's your best bet.

Yes, the Texans need a quarterback. And yes, new head coach Bill O'Brien will provide a hospitable environment for that quarterback. But as much as some Texans fans would love for Teddy Bridgewater to be that first-overall pick, it's also entirely possible the team's brain trust sees Clowney, or Jake Matthews, or someone else as the best player available. And if that's the case — especially if O'Brien believes he can either make do with Case Keenum or find a lesser-known prospect at some point in the draft process — the Texans will be well-served to stick with their board... no matter who's on top.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Martok

At this point, I'm almost desperate enough for the Vikes to grab Manziel. 

Almost. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

The Texans will probably get an OLB or a punter or waterboy with that first pick. You might have a shot.

BanzaiCat

Martok

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

bayonetbrant

Martok

bayonetbrant

Martok

Very cool.  The world can always use more guys like him. 

Centurion40

So I'm scrolling through the dial the other day, and I come across a listing for arena football.  One of the teams in the listing was the Los Angeles KISS.  So I take a look, and there's Paul Stanley in the stands and Gene Simmons in the booth.  Yep, that KISS.  They bought an arena football team.

It was a spectacle.  They even had "cheerleaders" suspended from the rafters in cages.

Any time is a good time for pie.

bayonetbrant

That's not 'zakly "news" since they've owned them for a while.
They* were on TV this past weekend.

* the team, not the band.  Tho I suspect Gene was on TV somewhere this past weekend.  The guy can't help it.

Centurion40

It's news to me!  Took me totally by surprise.
Any time is a good time for pie.