Main Menu

AI War 2

Started by solops, October 22, 2019, 10:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

For anyone who is interested, AI War 2 is released from Early Access and is 40% off until November 1.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Pete Dero

Quote from: solops on October 22, 2019, 10:31:56 PM
For anyone who is interested, AI War 2 is released from Early Access and is 40% off until November 1.

If you have AI war Fleet Command on Steam you will have received a 25% off coupon in your inventory.
You can combine this with the 40% off !!

Yskonyn

Oh. In that case its pretty much a nobrainer.
Even though I hardly played AI War 1
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

I just cannot get into these games no matter how hard I try. I don't know why...they are so beloved by so many dedicated fans, but they do absolutely nothing for me. They just don't feel like true space strategy or rts games.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

Yes, I ended up buying it for $10 after discounts!

I am reasonably sure I have played less than five minutes of the original game.  :hide:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Geezer

I bought it for around $10 with the discounts and tax also.  Played the first about 20 hours so it will be easy to get my moneys worth if it's any fun at all.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Huw the Poo

I need to make some space in my schedule for this one.  I played the shit out of AI War: Fleet Command back in the day (in fact I was one of the early testers) and absolutely loved it.  All I need from AI War 2 is better graphics and I'll be happy!

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 23, 2019, 06:23:39 AM
I just cannot get into these games no matter how hard I try. I don't know why...they are so beloved by so many dedicated fans, but they do absolutely nothing for me. They just don't feel like true space strategy or rts games.

I get that.  To me, it's not really a "space strategy/rts" in the traditional sense, but more of a "space rebellion simulator with heavy tower defense elements," which is a very different itch to scratch compared to Homeworld or Sins of a Solar Empire.  It probably doesn't help that your units are unmanned drones, as that's often a turn-off for me in these types of games.

For me, I would always get reaaaaally into a playthrough of the first game until I'd get over-confident and start getting stomped by the AI overlords, then drop the game for a year+ before touching it again.  I expect this to be more of the same.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

Is AI War the series that is ridiculously difficult?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

Nah, there's just a lot to it.  The original game received a gazillion expansions, every one of which introduced several new things.

The biggest difference between AI War and other space strategy games is that it's so lop-sided.  You've already lost the war, and the AI has taken over the whole galaxy.  It no longer considers you a threat, so your strategy is to poke holes in the gigantic hive and thread your way to victory.  Poke too much, disturb the AI too much, and it crushes you.

Gusington

Sounds like my every day life.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 23, 2019, 06:23:39 AM

++1
And yet....I still bought it!!!

Yskonyn

I had a rare epiphany and held off buying it today. Yay me!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."