Huge wargame collection for sale

Started by Grimnirsson, February 12, 2016, 04:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimnirsson

Crossposting this from the CSW/BGG Facebook groups and CSW Marketplace where I have posted it already:

Folks,

does anybody know someone (individual or shop) who might be interested in buying a collection of wargames? We are talking here about a rather huge collection (424 boxed or tray games & 172 specially made boxes of S&T and GW magazine games) from a wargamer who passed away recently and whose partner doesn't want to deal with selling them one by one now. She's hoping to sell it in one package. I told her it's unlikely with that many games in there to find someone and that it wouldn't bring as much money as if sold individually but I at least wanted to try to help here.

I got another email by her that I will copy/paste below, if you want to get in contact here's her email address: dogs3to1@comcast.net, her name is Deborah and she's living in Eugene Oregon.

-----

QuoteAs for the condition, my husband's love of the game was such that he was meticulous in his care. While some have a great deal of wear, as he has had them for forty years and played much, to my knowledge there isn't anything missing.

I do have some trays with counters but am not educated enough to know what they belong with (if anything). I also have empty trays and blanks counters. Many of the games are in like new condition as he may have played them only once or twice (I tended to overdo it with the gift giving and there's only so much time in the day.) Several have not been opened. (...)

I have been made an offer of $3500.00 (plus shipping and boxes) to date so if you know someone interested you might advise them to contact me immediately.

I know selling them individually may yield more in the long run but would be prohibited in time which is why I would be alright with less total money in the long run. The plain boxes you will see are the specially made ones we did for all the S&T and GW magazine games. I do know that some games are out of print and impossible to find (one took me four years). I am located in Eugene Oregon. (...) Any one that gets this collection will be lucky and I will be happy to have them go to a good home and be loved and played
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Staggerwing

We should form an investor group and collectively buy the lot. We could then each choose a few and gradually sell the rest at a profit.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Oh sweet baby Jeebus. I did not need to see that.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 12, 2016, 06:38:09 PM
We should form an investor group and collectively buy the lot. We could then each choose a few and gradually sell the rest at a profit.

THIS! My wife would kill but we need to do THIS!  O0

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

If we get at least 10 of us we can match the standing offer at $350 each. That's the equivalent of 35 useless $9.99 Steam sale items, if it helps.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

I like this plan. I'm excited to be a part of it!

Capn Darwin

Better use of Grog funds then trying to rescue stranded Nigerian astronaut princes.  :2funny:
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

mirth

Quote from: Capn Darwin on February 12, 2016, 10:00:24 PM
Better use of Grog funds then trying to rescue stranded Nigerian astronaut princes.  :2funny:

Those poor Nigerian astronauts.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: Grimnirsson on February 12, 2016, 04:57:00 PM
Crossposting this from the CSW/BGG Facebook groups and CSW Marketplace where I have posted it already:

Folks,

does anybody know someone (individual or shop) who might be interested in buying a collection of wargames? We are talking here about a rather huge collection (424 boxed or tray games & 172 specially made boxes of S&T and GW magazine games) from a wargamer who passed away recently and whose partner doesn't want to deal with selling them one by one now. She's hoping to sell it in one package. I told her it's unlikely with that many games in there to find someone and that it wouldn't bring as much money as if sold individually but I at least wanted to try to help here.

I got another email by her that I will copy/paste below, if you want to get in contact here's her email address: dogs3to1@comcast.net, her name is Deborah and she's living in Eugene Oregon.

-----

QuoteAs for the condition, my husband's love of the game was such that he was meticulous in his care. While some have a great deal of wear, as he has had them for forty years and played much, to my knowledge there isn't anything missing.

I do have some trays with counters but am not educated enough to know what they belong with (if anything). I also have empty trays and blanks counters. Many of the games are in like new condition as he may have played them only once or twice (I tended to overdo it with the gift giving and there's only so much time in the day.) Several have not been opened. (...)

I have been made an offer of $3500.00 (plus shipping and boxes) to date so if you know someone interested you might advise them to contact me immediately.

I know selling them individually may yield more in the long run but would be prohibited in time which is why I would be alright with less total money in the long run. The plain boxes you will see are the specially made ones we did for all the S&T and GW magazine games. I do know that some games are out of print and impossible to find (one took me four years). I am located in Eugene Oregon. (...) Any one that gets this collection will be lucky and I will be happy to have them go to a good home and be loved and played

Noble Knight Games is who she needs to talk to. http://www.nobleknight.com/
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Grimnirsson

Last news I got is she is in contact with Noble Knights and a few private collectors - let's hope there's a good deal in there for everybody involved :)

www.homefrontcenter.de

Boggit

@Grimnirsson
I have a bad feeling... :(

Deborah's husband wasn't called Dale by any chance? If it is then I need to send my condolences, as someone I wrote an AAR with, and with whom I used to play Tiller games.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Grimnirsson

www.homefrontcenter.de