Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I've heard the ending is bleak (even by FarCry standards). And also once you're done, no more sandboxing (unlike the past few games).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

I just finished Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue the full campaign as the Axis with a 'Sudden Death' Major Victory in October 1942-- 6 months early. :D  Totally unexpected. I thought I'd have to hold on until April but grabbing Baku and holding Stalingrad netted me the win. The 'Normal' difficulty gives the AI a movement and combat bonus so I played without the AI bonus but gave it more time to make it's moves which resulted in a moderately challenging game-- not near as tough as a Human player though.

Once we pushed through and captured Astrakhan, it was pretty much game over as the Russkies' Supply Line is totally cut in two and everything south of Astrakhan goes on life support. Still the Russians were gaining near parity in strength at the end as I watched and shifted units north to plug gaps in my lines, but they made no major counteroffensive to regain any Victory cities before the end.

Still I love this game, pushing hundreds of units all over southern Russia and switching HQ's around to get the best out of my troops. The most fun I've had with my clothes on in a long time.  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 21, 2018, 09:05:06 AM
I've heard the ending is bleak (even by FarCry standards). And also once you're done, no more sandboxing (unlike the past few games).

Update: I've now read that the sandboxing can and does continue after game over. It just makes no sense. To be fair that's true of the other games, too, really (one of the FC4 endings being an exception). The game does sort of vaguely reach for an explanation in subtle ways depending on which of the main endings get triggered. (The 'sad' ending may be just one last bad hallucination that wears off eventually; the 'worse' ending has a somewhat similar explanation for continuing.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Rayfer

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 21, 2018, 01:46:37 PM
I just finished Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue the full campaign as the Axis with a 'Sudden Death' Major Victory in October 1942-- 6 months early. :D  Totally unexpected. I thought I'd have to hold on until April but grabbing Baku and holding Stalingrad netted me the win. The 'Normal' difficulty gives the AI a movement and combat bonus so I played without the AI bonus but gave it more time to make it's moves which resulted in a moderately challenging game-- not near as tough as a Human player though.

Once we pushed through and captured Astrakhan, it was pretty much game over as the Russkies' Supply Line is totally cut in two and everything south of Astrakhan goes on life support. Still the Russians were gaining near parity in strength at the end as I watched and shifted units north to plug gaps in my lines, but they made no major counteroffensive to regain any Victory cities before the end.

Still I love this game, pushing hundreds of units all over southern Russia and switching HQ's around to get the best out of my troops. The most fun I've had with my clothes on in a long time.  :clap:

Epic win SS... :notworthy:

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

I finished Pillars of Eternity.

Now I have to restart from an earlier save to kill the Master Below and also complete the White March material.  When you finish Pillars of Eternity you cannot keep playing.

My main character was a Priest so I never did much of anything with Durance.  In the cut scenes he ended up being disgruntled and set himself on fire using his staff as kindling.  You got to admire someone with the courage of their stupid RPG convictions.

Sir Slash

The best Thief in the game is in The White March. She's not much in combat but she can get you past almost any trap and locks.  :smitten:

airboy

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 06, 2018, 10:18:25 PM
The best Thief in the game is in The White March. She's not much in combat but she can get you past almost any trap and locks.  :smitten:

The way I've trained Hivaris (the druid) he can handle everything.

Eldar = athletics
Female Ranger = survival
lots of others = lore

bob48

Finally finish 'For the King'.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Sir Slash

Congrats Bob!  :bd:   Not familiar with that game. How is it? Later I'll have one for you and 'The King'.

bob48

Its not a bad game at all, although quite frustrating at times. I got it when it was in a sale and pre full release. Its certainly given me hours of pleasure for the price.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Boggit

Quote from: bob48 on May 08, 2018, 03:13:02 PM
Its not a bad game at all, although quite frustrating at times. I got it when it was in a sale and pre full release. Its certainly given me hours of pleasure for the price.
I will take a look at this then. I bought it a while ago for my daughter, but she flits between games and I don't think played it much.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

airboy

I defeated the Master Below in Pillars of Eternity.  Nobody knocked unconscious except for the Ranger's animal buddy. 
Off to whack the Lich.
Then finish the game again.

Sir Slash

That's him Airboy! Dead as Bill Clinton's love life when Hillary's in town. Super Congrats on beating his Ardra-ass! He was a tough Mother for me to take down. How about that horde of his? Now you can retire.  :notworthy:

-budd-

Haven't finished anything in awhile. Just completed first 39 campaign in Strategic Command WW2-War in Europe as the Allies. Decisive Victory in May 45. Never been much of a strategic level gamer, but must say the SC games are a lot of fun PBEM and otherwise. My opponent and I are the type of gamers to just jump in and only read the manual as needed so a lot of mistakes in the first run through but it was fun.

Highlights:
Poland went down in 4 turns, i held onto France until late October 40. The big twist was Russia DOW on Germany in April of 41, caught us both by surprise as he wasn't ready to start Barbarossa, and i was still shoring up my Russian defensive's in an anticipation of Barbarossa. He kicked it off a couple of turns later anyway, he had to go sooner rather than later as the Russians were mobilizing. I got pushed back to Port Said and Cairo in NA, but managed to stabilize that front with the help of air power and taking out the Italian navy enough so i ruled the sea in that area. He never went for Malta so his supply was always compromised. i also took out i think it was 3 transports that he was trying to sneak into NA to reinforce, so that became a sideshow until i could add some forces to start pushing back. In the east Moscow was never threatened, think he got within 6 or 7 hexes. Got to gates of Leningrad but i held onto it, we basically traded blows in 41 and 42 in the east. There was no attempt at Sealion, and i was worried about it as the British were weak but i had control of the seas, so i used that to discourage Sealion, locking up the North Sea and the Channel. Once the Americans were on board, started working for an invasion. Didn't need to send any American forces[except air power] to NA so that helped. As the grinder in the east continued i noticed western Europe wasn't very well defended though the use of recon flights. I didn't stage in England but landed the Americans right on the coast at Lorient and Nantes in 43, trying to take the pressure off in the east. Being the first run through for us both i hadn't really prepared properly to follow up my initial landings[note to allied players, make sure you max out your long range amphib tech for the Americans]. The line stalled in front of Paris until i could get more British and American troops landed, then i started to push again. I dropped some paratroopers behind his lines at the Hague and in the east dropped some paratroopers around Riga, behind his lines. Since the front line was stalled in the west and the east, i sent the third wave of Americans to Italy. I controlled the Med and noticed Italy proper wasn't very well defended so i landed at Rome, which was not defended.I promptly took Naples and knocked Italy out of the war. At this point its like mid 44 and i'm thinking i'll be in Berlin for Christmas. My opponent did a great job stalling me, i mean i'm pushing north from Italy, east from Paris and West from Warsaw, he's wiped out in NA and has like 3 navy units left. i think what slowed me down was my bungling of HQ chaining, weather, and he invested a lot in fighters tech and numbers, my planes were taking a beating. Its tough to take out heavy experienced German tanks without air power. He did a great job holding on until May 45.
That was a fun game. Funny thing, while that game was going on we bought the rest of the SC library of re-releases and finished 2 WW1 scenarios and a the Russian civil war scenario of which i lost all of them during the time our campaign was going on. I would surely recommend these games for PBEM, great fun with lots of possibilities. 

Man its nice to actually finish something 8)
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.