Started by CJReich46, March 07, 2019, 10:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJReich46

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Sir Slash

I actually have never played it. I understand it's not really designed for solo play, correct?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bbmike

Huh. I was really hoping you were going to say Emperor of the Fading Suns.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Rayfer

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 07, 2019, 11:17:43 AM
I actually have never played it. I understand it's not really designed for solo play, correct?
The original Diablo.....was an awesome solo-player experience. I played it to the end twice in solo mode back when it came out. I believe, but don't really know, it was designed equally for solo and multi-player.

FarAway Sooner

It was designed for solo play as much as anything else.  I'm not sure high-speed internet was even common when the game was released!

It was a very enjoyable solo player experience for me.  It's been imitated 1,000 times since then, and the newer games are better, but it was pioneering and is a total classic.  It also had a great ending, which I didn't see coming...

Gusington

You know, I never played the original...I started with Diablo II.

I think I'm going to get this. And send Reich the receipt 😎

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

The days when 2800 baud was the standard...

I beat it at my best friend's house across the state while his wife was on vacation for the weekend; we teamed up on what would now be called a LAN connection (back then something else). Suuuuuper-frustrating ending! Be warned!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

CJReich46

Quote from: bbmike on March 07, 2019, 11:26:48 AM
Huh. I was really hoping you were going to say Emperor of the Fading Suns.

Ugh. I wish.

Rayfer

Just checked GOG...$9.99.  With the glut of sales games I still haven't played I think I'll wait until it drops in price in upcoming Spring/Summer/Holiday sales.  But the lure of playing it again is making this logical decision difficult.  :-[

Gusington

Now that I think about it...could I really handle the 1996 graphics? If it were updated like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale, that would be one thing. But it hasn't been.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tuna

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 07, 2019, 01:06:45 PM
The days when 2800 baud was the standard...

I beat it at my best friend's house across the state while his wife was on vacation for the weekend; we teamed up on what would now be called a LAN connection (back then something else). Suuuuuper-frustrating ending! Be warned!

I can remember playing Doom, was it Netbui and the Com port connectors.. so many years ago, I don't remember!!! .. lol, that was pre 2800 baud modem.
Never played Diablo

CJReich46

Update:

Warcraft and Warcraft II- Battle.net  on GOG.COM!

That is all.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

True claim: I had the older computer rigged up in my brother's room so that we could play Warcraft and a few other things (I think we beat Heretic for example) by LAN wire, and after bro moved out (to get married) Dad got bored one winter and decided to play Warcraft and Warcraft 2.

He ended up beating both games -- I think he played both sides' campaigns, too. The first and last time he ever got interested in computer games (aside from golf simulators which helped his real-life game somewhat). I still after all these years can't get him interested again, even on much slower turn-based games.  :'(
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!