Main Menu

Wars of Succession

Started by Hofstadter, July 07, 2016, 05:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzerde

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 25, 2018, 10:53:04 PM
True. And month-long turns again. I like two-week turns better. Still, a great time period for a AGEOD game. I wonder if the Turks are involved at all?

No Turks, this covers the War of Spanish Succession and the Great Northern War. The Turks had recently been bashed on pretty badly by Eugene and sat this period out.

There was some talk during the beta about an add on covering the Russo-Turkish War, but I don't recall reading anything concrete about that happening.

As for month turns, I like two week turns too, and think not having them in To End All Wars was a crime. They work pretty well during this period, though.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Sir Slash

I can live with the month-long turns, it's not a big issue. I was hoping there was an option for Charles the 12th to take shelter with the Turks like he did historically if he gets his nuts in the fire in Russia and maybe lead a mass of Janissaries back at them.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mikeck

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 26, 2018, 11:35:43 AM
I can live with the month-long turns, it's not a big issue. I was hoping there was an option for Charles the 12th to take shelter with the Turks like he did historically if he gets his nuts in the fire in Russia and maybe lead a mass of Janissaries back at them.

Well, hopefully if your playing Sweden right, he won't have to escape to the Ottoman Empire
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Sir Slash

The way I play, the Ottoman Empire probably won't be far enough.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

WallysWorld

Quote from: Philthib on January 26, 2018, 10:18:33 AM
Quote from: WallysWorld on January 25, 2018, 05:10:46 PM
I'll be buying this within a day or two, but someone else had an issue installing the game:  Wars of Succession install issue
Hi WallysWorld

Have you tried to install as Administrator? Right click the exe and "Run as administrator". Also make sure your virus checker is not blocking the install.

I hope this helps.

Regards

No, I haven't purchased the game yet. I was just quoting a thread on the Matrix forum about someone else having an install issue.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

airboy

One of the wars I know so little about.

But I bought Espania and have not played it. 

I also really want to play Strategic Command the Great War: Breakthroughs the Russian Revolution scenario.  They updated and ported - and I never played that one and want to do so.

Plus I'm almost finished with PanzerKreig from the Order of Battle WW2 series.  I'm going to finish that, plus complete the last turn or two of Azathoth versus the world.

If this game is stable and reasonably fun, I'll probably pick this up in the next year and a half.  No rush - I have a ton of great games unplayed.

WallysWorld

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

mikeck

I've played almost every AGEOD game and I don't like the month-long turns either.  I don't understand why they feel like a month long order cycle is more appropriate than 2 weeks. If I dispatch an army to attack a fortress, generally it doesn't take a month for them to get my order to do so.

That said, I never really noticed in this game. Everything just SEEMS right. I never really noticed an issue

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Ubercat

Is the manual available anywhere for perusal before purchase? I can't find it at Ageod or Slitherine.

It's a forgone conclusion that I will purchase the game considering my great interest in the GNW but I wanted to wait a few weeks or however long it takes for the first post release patch to come out so I can avoid dealing with hotfixes, etc. I wanted to print and read the manual at my leisure to get ready.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Blucher

Quote from: panzerde on January 26, 2018, 10:24:54 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on January 25, 2018, 10:53:04 PM
True. And month-long turns again. I like two-week turns better. Still, a great time period for a AGEOD game. I wonder if the Turks are involved at all?

No Turks, this covers the War of Spanish Succession and the Great Northern War. The Turks had recently been bashed on pretty badly by Eugene and sat this period out.

There was some talk during the beta about an add on covering the Russo-Turkish War, but I don't recall reading anything concrete about that happening.

As for month turns, I like two week turns too, and think not having them in To End All Wars was a crime. They work pretty well during this period, though.

To End All Wars had two week turns.

panzerde

Quote from: Blucher on January 29, 2018, 06:17:09 AM

Did it? It's been since the week it came out since I touched it. All I remember is feeling like the turns were far too long for what it was trying to represent. Apparently I just equated that with the month-long turns.

Blucher

Quote from: panzerde on January 29, 2018, 08:11:19 AM
Quote from: Blucher on January 29, 2018, 06:17:09 AM

Did it? It's been since the week it came out since I touched it. All I remember is feeling like the turns were far too long for what it was trying to represent. Apparently I just equated that with the month-long turns.

Yeah it does. I actually reinstalled it to double check haha. I think AGEOD games work best in the 18th century that they were originally designed for Birth of America. I just got this game and with a little A.I. tweaking it plays really nice. I don't find the month long turns in this to be bad. Started my second game of the Italian scenario. Held back a bit the second time. I tried blitzing into Italy with Eugene and had my supply lines back to Austria cut by Bourbon coalition in my first game. Playing a little more conservatively the second time around. Also I love the music in this.

panzerde

Quote from: Blucher on January 29, 2018, 08:25:01 AM

Yeah it does. I actually reinstalled it to double check haha. I think AGEOD games work best in the 18th century that they were originally designed for Birth of America. I just got this game and with a little A.I. tweaking it plays really nice. I don't find the month long turns in this to be bad. Started my second game of the Italian scenario. Held back a bit the second time. I tried blitzing into Italy with Eugene and had my supply lines back to Austria cut by Bourbon coalition in my first game. Playing a little more conservatively the second time around. Also I love the music in this.

I completely agree, the engine is best at simulating this period. As for playing conservatively, this game (WoS) really shows the reason generals of the period so often avoided pitched battles. I've really taken to not fighting unless I'm sure I'm going to win. I usually move armies with a defensive posture and set to defend and retreat unless I'm going for a kill.

mikeck

Edit: incompetence

Sir Slash

Review over at the Wargamer if anyone's interested.