WarPlan -- new game announced from Matrix Games

Started by al_infierno, May 08, 2019, 12:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fabius

Just noticed it's 50% off on Steam. Very tempted

Pete Dero

Quote from: fabius on September 08, 2020, 07:22:24 AM

Also 50% off on Matrix site (and gives you a Steam Key).

fabius

Quote from: Pete Dero on September 08, 2020, 07:55:20 AM
Quote from: fabius on September 08, 2020, 07:22:24 AM

Also 50% off on Matrix site (and gives you a Steam Key).

Hey, thanks for the heads up  O0

al_infierno

Quote from: Ian C on September 08, 2020, 05:28:09 AM
In my opinion Warplan is the currently the best European war grand strategy game out there. It has possibly the most accurate depiction of supply during WW2 in the ETO.

WarPlan is also my king of European-theater grand strategy wargames, for sure.  Dunno about "accuracy" per se, but the supply system definitely feels balanced, authentic, and satisfying to utilize.  The combat feels a good bit meatier than Strategic Command without bogging you down with so many details that you lose the forest for the trees.  The way paratroopers work feels a little wonky, and I'm still not sure if you can launch an airborne invasion from anywhere except a port.  Also, I'd like if there was a bit more flexibility with the timeline, like a chance that the USA might join the war late or not at all.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Ian C

Quote from: al_infierno on September 08, 2020, 03:43:25 PMDunno about "accuracy" per se, but the supply system definitely feels balanced, authentic, and satisfying to utilize. 

The supply and logistics limits work really well to simulate the strategic problems that were evident in the war. Over-extending supply lines and the resulting problems, the limits of building an army (no doom stacks are possible) and only being able to field relatively light forces because of logistical considerations (e.g. in the North African campaign) are well-modelled by the game.

fabius

You guys are not making resisting this one any easier

Is the AI reasonable ?

al_infierno

Quote from: Ian C on September 09, 2020, 07:17:24 AM
Quote from: al_infierno on September 08, 2020, 03:43:25 PMDunno about "accuracy" per se, but the supply system definitely feels balanced, authentic, and satisfying to utilize. 

The supply and logistics limits work really well to simulate the strategic problems that were evident in the war. Over-extending supply lines and the resulting problems, the limits of building an army (no doom stacks are possible) and only being able to field relatively light forces because of logistical considerations (e.g. in the North African campaign) are well-modelled by the game.

You're right about that, for sure.  I'm just being a bit pedantic about "accuracy" versus "authenticity"  :buck2:  I think for it to be truly "historically accurate," it would need to somehow simulate wear-and-tear of roads and individual trucks and whatnot, like how WitE does.  But I'm glad this game doesn't do that, and opts for authenticity over painstaking accuracy.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao