Total War: Rome II THE RISE OF ROME dlc

Started by JasonPratt, August 04, 2018, 02:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

How do you have the hand eye coordination to get these shots?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on August 17, 2018, 05:56:03 PM
How do you have the hand eye coordination to get these shots?

I've learned where in a battle you can find some drama.  So I go in low with the camera on the drama and just shoot the images as I pass through.  90% of the shots have some obvious problems and the remaining 10% need some cropping.  I don't try to get individual shots in the middle of the battle -- just a tight series through the drama.

This one was easy in a lot of ways.  It was a large battle (the ex-priestess of the Sun Clan was killed as were all three other commanders) and the climax was in the middle of the hill in the middle.  The Heavy Etruscan Hoplites held out against attacks for quite a while and I was able to get this toward the end of the battle.

Gusington

There's gotta be a way you can make a living from this skill of yours.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

MengJaoi.. I like what I like. I always liked the Wargame aspect of the total war games. I noticed in the later ones (rome2) that the focus moved away from that battlefield realism moved ahead to removing the beginnings of that directions features. You will remember they had to put guard mode back in and that legionaries decided they would never stay in formation. That battles at least for me looked like big black swirling blobs you would expect to see in pictures of the galaxy taken by some Hubble telescope. People had bugs where the legionary faces instead of moving were stuck in some demonic open mouthed pose. Combat in Rome2 seemed a little overwhelming as well. The camera angles and the scale of the battlefield not allowing me to track everything properly. The original also had such poor optimisation that the devs removed forcibly the graphics levels and lowered them. Eventually improving them again but in the mean time we at release got a carrot and a stunning looking game that performed horribly and had it turned into a stick figure looking ant fest.

They eventually put some of the tactical things back in as well. But it was only really Attila that seemed to run significantly better. I had hoped that this new addon would mean a full return to the rome2 battlefields graphical standard on release

Do you have a good shot of the entire armies fighting? Also once you get to the republican era in this addon do you get the hastati, principe and triarii (as well as the velites of course) or is the campaign set so early that the romans only get their poor version of hoplites? I wonder if Etruscan Hoplites fight differently to Greek Hoplites in both formation and fighting style??

P.s. You know I suggested to the wargame red dragon devs (Eugen systems) a while back that their engine would be perfect for ancient but more specifically napoleonic battlefields. Can you imagine total war battles on a field so big as this and so easy to control because you can see properly!!!! There would not just be a flag amongst a mob. But two distinct formations perhaps even with an outline to show you who was who... I think they might even do that in total war arena.

Image below is only of PART of one battlefield in steel division. Approx half of it actually. Imagine marching units of soldiers through those fields. It would be a little like playing ultimate general but with wonderful 3D graphics.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

Yeah, but.... you can only see the units really when zoomed way in, in this engine. Exactly because they're to scale.

Even with the large numbers of men for Nappy battles, you'd be looking at zoomed out Total Wary blobs. Just more of them on the larger maps.

I'm not saying I'm against that (or a Civil War mod for that matter).  O:-) Just, it'll be an antfest, too.

Also, strictly speaking the campaign starts early in the Republican Era, after the downfall of Tarquinius already, and specifically after the first sack of Rome by northern barbarians. (The Sabines technically sacked Rome, or almost, back in the legendary days of Romulus.) I haven't played to know if the proper 4-class maniples are available yet. I don't think it gets quite up to the 1st Punic War...?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

I don't mind an antfest... as long as I can see clear formations... sure some formations will break down at certain points of battle. But rome2 had no formations near release... the blobs were not square. They were hollywood scrums. Retreating from them would theoretically be impossible.

Toonces

I believe I'm going to get this very, very soon.  I'm reading Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and I'm in the mood for some Rome mayhem.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Destraex

Ok. Having a look around and it does not look like the republican hastati, triarii, princepes, velites republic units are available. I may as well start a normal grand campaign. I really am not keen to play roman hoplites as I really doubt any effort to reflect their fighting style has been put in apart from roman hoplite = X combat power. I guess I am searching for a new gaming experience. Beyond what rome1 offered. Going to sally forth on a new Roman campaign me thinks.

Destraex

Just tried my rome2. This is what my a little bit of zoom does. It hurts my eyes to try to figure out what is going on at this distance. Like watching ghosts fight or little impressionist paintings. Needless to say I don't get any joy out of watching battles like this and thus don't ever load it. Does anybody else have screenshots at the same distance. This was the historical battle of raphia?

Stryker07

In the new DLC you do get Hastati and whatnot, but you have to research a high level tech to get them. Quite honestly, the Roman infantry isn't great in the early game, but once a couple dozen turns have passed you can put together a decent force including native troops. I just encountered Pricipes and Hastati in my Sabine campaign and I'm at about turn 130 so quite a ways in.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog
GG's War in the West
Panzer Corps

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on August 17, 2018, 07:32:20 PM
MengJaoi.. I like what I like. I always liked the Wargame aspect of the total war games. I noticed in the later ones (rome2) that the focus moved away from that battlefield realism moved ahead to removing the beginnings of that directions features. You will remember they had to put guard mode back in and that legionaries decided they would never stay in formation. That battles at least for me looked like big black swirling blobs you would expect to see in pictures of the galaxy taken by some Hubble telescope. People had bugs where the legionary faces instead of moving were stuck in some demonic open mouthed pose. Combat in Rome2 seemed a little overwhelming as well. The camera angles and the scale of the battlefield not allowing me to track everything properly. The original also had such poor optimisation that the devs removed forcibly the graphics levels and lowered them. Eventually improving them again but in the mean time we at release got a carrot and a stunning looking game that performed horribly and had it turned into a stick figure looking ant fest.

That wasn't my experience of the first few iterations of Rome2.  For one thing I was some eastern tribal confederation -- you expect some cosmic swirling battles with eastern tribal confederations -- but I very clearly remember one early battle where I ended up using every trick in the book (archers in woods, dismounted lancers obliterating cavalry etc. etc.) and it was fantastic.  Once again, I think people tend to miss the element of pure play in games -- you expect the Tiger tanks or Romans to fulfill some limited roster of dreams and that seems to be it one way or another for many people.  Even in the earliest Rome2, the landscapes were already much better than earlier Total War games (for example).

MengJiao

Do you have a good shot of the entire armies fighting? Also once you get to the republican era in this addon do you get the hastati, principe and triarii (as well as the velites of course) or is the campaign set so early that the romans only get their poor version of hoplites? I wonder if Etruscan Hoplites fight differently to Greek Hoplites in both formation and fighting style??

I can get screenshots, sure, but I'm busy playing at being an Insubres not testing the Romans.  If you are asking the game to properly differentiate different hoplite fighting methods, you are expecting the game to invent a whole new analysis of the period -- not likely -- I think Burning Blue is the only game that has ever offerred that kind of original research and analysis.  Moreover -- suppose Rome2 or a DLC had done a completely correct re-analysis of hoplite warfare -- that would just guarantee an internet shit-storm and totally mis-informed people told us all they were going to sue for how hoplites were being misrepresented etc. etc.
  Actually the Plataea of the Hoplite game does such a good workman like representation that you can get a better idea of what Herodotus reports -- that that's not likely in most games -- even Field of Glory 2 has an amazingly bad version of Plataea.

Nefaro

Quote from: Destraex on August 18, 2018, 11:13:57 PM
Just tried my rome2. This is what my a little bit of zoom does. It hurts my eyes to try to figure out what is going on at this distance. Like watching ghosts fight or little impressionist paintings. Needless to say I don't get any joy out of watching battles like this and thus don't ever load it. Does anybody else have screenshots at the same distance. This was the historical battle of raphia?

Sweet Baby Raptor Jesus, Dest!  Why are you zoomed out so far!?   :o

Just because it lets you zoom out halfway to the moon doesn't mean you should!   :))

Destraex

Nef. I have to see my whole army. That zoom level is not even half way. That is three units out of 26 on my side. Let alone the enemy side. Show my what your general command zoom level is in total war? I would be curious to see if others think the camera should be locked not too far above the units? Could this be what I am doing wrong? Did not affect me in other total war games.

I just mucked around again turning things off and on. Mucking around with brightness. Changing units to small to make sure the PC is handling it. All seems good but looks horrible.
Anybody got any screenshots?

Might be the LOD. Perhaps their is a mod.
https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/143634/rome-ii-ultimate-graphics-issues-and-missing-features-thread-updated-2017

Destraex

Quote from: MengJiao on August 19, 2018, 08:48:08 PM

I can get screenshots, sure, but I'm busy playing at being an Insubres not testing the Romans.  If you are asking the game to properly differentiate different hoplite fighting methods, you are expecting the game to invent a whole new analysis of the period -- not likely -- I think Burning Blue is the only game that has ever offerred that kind of original research and analysis.  Moreover -- suppose Rome2 or a DLC had done a completely correct re-analysis of hoplite warfare -- that would just guarantee an internet shit-storm and totally mis-informed people told us all they were going to sue for how hoplites were being misrepresented etc. etc.
  Actually the Plataea of the Hoplite game does such a good workman like representation that you can get a better idea of what Herodotus reports -- that that's not likely in most games -- even Field of Glory 2 has an amazingly bad version of Plataea.

Yeah. I would settle for being able to see my men. I need to check out rome2 on the computer I built my friend which is much newer than mine.