Say Hello to Robert the Bruce

Started by steve58, December 08, 2016, 05:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

panzerde

He's not half the man he used to be...
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Sir Slash

Hello Robert. Or should I say 'Mr. Bruce' since we've not been formally introduced?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

Fascinating.  Didn't realize he possibly suffered from leprosy (or similar condition) later in life. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

panzerde

undercovergeek

Quote from: Martok on December 12, 2016, 01:49:07 PM
Fascinating.  Didn't realize he possibly suffered from leprosy (or similar condition) later in life.

Cmon man you must have seen braveheart

panzerde

Ya know, I imagine that caber tossing is an entirely different sport if played by Scots with leprosy.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 12, 2016, 03:41:04 PM

Well...

• It was hardly factual
  • His dad (Robert de Brus) was showing suffering from Leprosy in the film - he wasn't portrayed as having the disease
Having said that - anyone who hasn't seen Braveheart needs to see Braveheart. That's not me talking as a Scot (as there's a big embarrassment factor on some of the BS in the movie) but as a film goer who thought the medieval story and battles were fantastic.

There are elements of truth through the film - but don't go looking for a documentary - it's been made into a very entertaining movie  >:D

Quote from: panzerde on December 12, 2016, 04:43:30 PM
Ya know, I imagine that caber tossing is an entirely different sport if played by Scots with leprosy.
lol  :DD
Alba gu' brath

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

Dozens of times.  It's Robert's father who has leprosy, not Robert himself.  ;) 

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 12, 2016, 05:34:17 PM
Having said that - anyone who hasn't seen Braveheart needs to see Braveheart. That's not me talking as a Scot (as there's a big embarrassment factor on some of the BS in the movie) but as a film goer who thought the medieval story and battles were fantastic.
Braveheart has long been one of my favorite movies, ever since it was released.  Even with it being...less than historically accurate, it's easily on my Top 25 list.  :bd: 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

undercovergeek

Quote from: Martok on December 12, 2016, 09:42:18 PM

Dozens of times.  It's Robert's father who has leprosy, not Robert himself.  ;) 

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 12, 2016, 05:34:17 PM
Braveheart has long been one of my favorite movies, ever since it was released.  Even with it being...less than historically accurate, it's easily on my Top 25 list.  :bd:

Is it not airborne? Or passed by touch?

JudgeDredd

It is, but apparently not particularly contagious.

I was just meaning just because his dad had it did not mean he would have it....although as it was his dad then Robert was definitely in the danger part of the venn diagram  :)
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Makes you wonder where the dad caught it

bob48

..off some foreign floozy, I'll bet. He should have kept his claymore safe instead of wavin' it about trying to Impress people.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek