A tasty nugget of history

Started by besilarius, March 26, 2016, 01:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/when-american-cities-were-full-of-crap

Game Masters and RPGers, please note the potential for unique experiences if one were to find representatives of the Manhattan Odorless Excavating Company.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Boggit

Did you really have to soil our imaginations with that crap piece of history? ;)

(Actually quite an interesting read O0)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

besilarius

In England, the people who dug up the refuse were known as Gong Farmers.
Who knew the antecedents of the Gong Show?  (You could have figured it out from the quality of the performances.)
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bob48

Hmm, are you sure you don't mean 'The Goon Show' or even 'The Gang Show'?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

besilarius

Well, As Eccles once said, "Money won't buy you happiness...but it will get you a better class of enemy."

"With your eyes closed?"

bob48

Ah! 'tis the Goons then - the radio show - wonderful stuff. I have a few shows on CD.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

avrotim

No I think he actually means The Gong Show, which was a strange sort-of talent show that ran for a few seasons in the 70's.  People made asses of themselves and then a panel of Hollywood has-been comedians would judge which was the best.
currently working on: Crowbar, Thunder in the East, Attack of the 50 Ft Colossi
Currently building: nothing

Barthheart

Quote from: avrotim on April 07, 2016, 11:38:53 AM
No I think he actually means The Gong Show, which was a strange sort-of talent show that ran for a few seasons in the 70's.  People made asses of themselves and then a panel of Hollywood has-been comedians would judge which was the best.

And wasn't the host supposed to be, or thought he was, a CIA agent in real life?

avrotim

That's what He claimed.  He said he was a hit man for the CIA.  Of course there was no way to prove it one way or the other.   He was either a brilliant self promoter, or a complete loon.

mirth

The Gong Show. That was an odd bit of television.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

avrotim

There was very little TV worth seeing back in the 70s.  Consider the fact that this was the era of "The Bionic Woman", "The Love Boat" and "Fantasy Island".  I remember reading somewhere that the The Bionic Woman picked up several Emmy Awards for Best TV Drama, and the really horrible thing about that wasn't that such an awful show won, but that given the competition it actually deserved it!

mirth

I remember those days all too well. There was some real garbage television.

Magnum P.I. was a breath of fresh air back then.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

avrotim

True, but then you're getting into the 80's.

mirth

There was plenty of garbage tv in that decade too.

avrotim

Can't argue with that.  the 80s gave us "The A-Team' and "Dukes of Hazzard" after all.