The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I see Cities in Motion up for today's daily deal.  (Is that thing ever not on sale?  All the add-ons for it are the cockroaches of the special offer lists.)

eyebiter

So is the download through Gamers Gate?  The link goes to a payment website called Ejunkie?

Silent Disapproval Robot

I bought Space Empires IV through them a few years back and had a hell of a time getting it to download.  They sent me something called "GetRight" and a code and the damned thing kept crashing during the download.  My memory is pretty hazy but I think it limited me to 9 download attempts and then shut down.  It took a few days and several back-and-forth emails to get things sorted out.  Hopefully they've updated their distribution service since then. 

steve58

Well, I decided for $5 I'd go ahead and give it a shot.  The process so far has been somewhat painful, to say the least.  After paying through Paypal, I was sent to a page (powered by e-junkie...whoever/whatever they are).  I downloaded each file, but they are apparently downloader files, only about 500K each.  My Norton AV flagged each and every one as problems, so I had to un-quarantine all of them.  After running Malwarebyte (just to be sure) I fired off the first one for Victorian Admirals Anthology.  Looks like its only about 186MB, so it should download pretty quick right?  Well apparently this GetRightToGo crapware they are using for distribution is just that, crapware.  Looks like its going to take an hour to download this one file.  I guess I'll get the games in the end (hopefully, becasue the links expire after 5 attempts), but this will be my last purchase from SF.

Sorry I posted this sale....stay away...far away  >:(
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Silent Disapproval Robot

Hopefully GetRight won't keep stalling on you like mine did.  It would somehow screw up my wireless connection and I'd have to restart the PC to get internet access again.  (I have the same problem now with the WarThunder downloader but thankfully I now have a USB connection for my wireless so I can just unplug it and plug it back in to reset it.)

Sounds like GetRight is still garbage though.

Sigma One

Hello gents,

I'm hoping to post this to beat any other guy that usually posts our news before I do!

Starting today and going until January 14, 2013, we have our holiday sale at Matrix Games and Slitherine on a whole bunch of titles.

There's a huge list that can be found on our site:

Slitherine
Matrix Games

If I don't talk to anyone then, I'd like to wish you gents a fine and happy Thanksgiving!

steve58

^Thankfully, its not stalling, just incredibly slow ...

I'm already an hour into a 3+ hour download of the first of four files for Achtung Panzer Operation Star... :o

Hopefully the slowness is just because everyone else bought the bundle and are downloading.  Maybe it'll be faster tomorrow  :-\
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Rayfer

Grim.Reaper

Probably just me, but nothing jumps out at me as exciting this year.  I have everything I have wanted to get at Matrix so far.  However, still very much likely to get the WW1 game at some point regardless of the sale.

steve58

^I feel pretty much the same.  I always look forward to their yearly holiday sales, but I've pretty much have gotten almost everything from their catalog I wanted (including my recent purchase of CTGW).  About the only item on the list I'd still be interested in is World at War: A World Divided, but not for $26.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: steve58 on November 20, 2012, 07:52:55 PM
^I feel pretty much the same.  I always look forward to their yearly holiday sales, but I've pretty much have gotten almost everything from their catalog I wanted (including my recent purchase of CTGW).  About the only item on the list I'd still be interested in is World at War: A World Divided, but not for $26.

Yep, that is the other part for me.....cost savings is never that great.  If I really wanted the game earlier in the year, saving $12 would not be enough to make me hold out until the holiday sale.  I know these games are a niche so likely not to change and that is fine.  I am sure some folks will see value.

JasonPratt

Yep, basically if I wanted the games I got them already at full price. That's actually a compliment on the quality of the games they offer. :)

Having said that, I do see a few I haven't picked up yet. Strictly speaking I'm glutted already of course, but I just realized Matrix carries a PC version of DVG's "Hornet Leader" (with worse graphics than the current iteration of the card game...  ;) ): I might take advantage of the sale to check out the gameplay as a sort of low-cost demo of the system.

Also, I haven't picked up Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw to Paris yet. Although I probably won't pick it up this year anyway (or the sequel), just because I already have so many other things to try.

Nothing but love for y'all at Matrix, Scott!--thanks for the sale news!  8)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

TheCommandTent

Its nice to see the sale running so long so there is time to decided and save up for games as well as ask for them under the tree at Christmas.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

TheCommandTent

So many sales, so little money.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."