Main Menu

Field of Glory II

Started by Anguille, June 13, 2017, 04:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheimison

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 24, 2017, 06:44:10 PM
Wait, wait. You're going too fast. I can't write all these names down fast enough-- my next Pillars of Eternity party.
I wish PoE was a sandbox game and dropped the whole storyline bit. Storylines in RPGs are blasphemy. I want a hex map and a kingdom to conquer, I AM THE STORY. The King and the Gods can go F- themselves. Now that's some Grognard.

Sir Slash

I'm not in love with PoE's storyline but it had it's moments. One of my favorite storylines from a RPG was Pool of Radiance way back in the 80's. You were a merc that pick missions to do for money. Very simple and easy to relate to.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Cheimison

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 24, 2017, 09:50:59 PM
I'm not in love with PoE's storyline but it had it's moments. One of my favorite storylines from a RPG was Pool of Radiance way back in the 80's. You were a merc that pick missions to do for money. Very simple and easy to relate to.
Best D&D game hands down was the old Dark Sun RPG, straight-forward aimless wandering with actual D&D rules instead of some crap contrived to give the player a leg up; you were nobody and nothing you did was important unless you became very powerful, which was extremely difficult. Like actual D&D, level grinding could take actual years and you had to rest for days or weeks after serious injury.
It was also an 'MMO' back before that was a thing, which mean other players would kill and rob you periodically (just like actual D&D!).
Stuff was super-expensive, too, and your equipment broke if you used it too much, not predictably but randomly in the middle of fights.
I love when D&D was an ultra-high-resolution war game instead of 'save da princess frum da castle. You is a playa, have fifty free hitpoints!'

Cheimison

To get back on topic - I just played a randomly generated game as the Parthians v. the Saka.
Holy crap, was this tedious.
It was pretty hilly terrain with a river bisecting it, and woods in the east and west. I can't imagine why either of these horsie armies would actually fight in such a place, but there it is.
The fighting was EXTREMELY slow. Arrows did very poor damage, and after turn 5 did even less. Charges were usually evaded, and when contact was finally made both sides have such poor melee attack that damage was 1-4 points per turn. The terrain made sure almost everyone in the fight was disordered, further reducing the damage, even attacking with cataphracts from multiple sides I think 7 damage was about the most I saw.
Luckily for me I had two oliphants and some Indian Javelinmen. I still might have won without them, but instead of taking 3 hours it would have taken six.

Recommendation: Immediately Quit Any Match-Up with Mounted v. Mounted.

jomni

Well that how they really fight.  Avoid set piece battles.

mikeck

Remarkably few battles resulted in the destruction of an army. Hell, even after Cannae alot of Romans escaped. So I think that's probably an accurate depiction of warfare where neither side wants to be pinned down and forced to engage. No one wants to lose their army in one battle
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Cheimison

Quote from: mikeck on October 25, 2017, 10:15:36 AM
Remarkably few battles resulted in the destruction of an army. Hell, even after Cannae alot of Romans escaped. So I think that's probably an accurate depiction of warfare where neither side wants to be pinned down and forced to engage. No one wants to lose their army in one battle
I'm just saying don't play these matchups, because it's lame. If I had had the option of leaving that pointless mountain valley battle and going to set some villages on fire I would, unfortunately that is not an option in this game. This was a randomly generated battle, I would never intentionally play horses v. horses, which is bad enough in hex chit games.

Pete Dero

Matrix Sale (-25%)  http://www.matrixgames.com/news/2398/HAPPY.HALLOWEEN.everyone!

To celebrate Halloween ALL of our games and expansions will be 25% off, for this whole week, from 26th of October to the 1st of November!!
All you have to do is to put "HAPPYHALLOWEEN" on the coupon section. We hope you'll enjoy our special offer, and that you'll take advantage of it as long as you can.

Works for Field Of Glory II

Tuna

With the Campaign "baggage train" battle, do you just have to get them to the opposite edge of the Map, and then there is an option to exit? Would it be easier to just try for the 40 percent rout?

Cyrano

Remember that the 40% route is typically only if you've got a 25% margin on your opponent.

I find that to be rarely the case.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Cheimison

Quote from: Cyrano on October 26, 2017, 09:40:03 AM
Remember that the 40% route is typically only if you've got a 25% margin on your opponent.

I find that to be rarely the case.
Do you mean the Parthian battle? Just move your legion as a solid line and destroy their skirmishers in detail with surrounding attacks. This is the plan that Crassus' assistant commander suggested, and was turned down because Crassus was an Assus.

Toonces

Just to confirm, if I buy this through Matrix (using the Halloween code) it comes with a Steam key as well?

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Philippe

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Toonces on October 26, 2017, 03:38:14 PM
Just to confirm, if I buy this through Matrix (using the Halloween code) it comes with a Steam key as well?

actually the matrix key you get is the same key you use to register on steam....single code usable for matrix and steam