Battlestar Galactica 1978

Started by Anguille, October 04, 2017, 07:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anguille

I watched it when it was on tv a long time ago and really loved it (had the original movie and the living legend on tape). I just bought the entire season on DVD and just finished watching it. I still love it and really regret the abrupt ending after the Hand of God. It's a shame that they didn't give the Show a proper ending. . The stories were good and the cast was great as well. I think i didn't realise back then how the Show had ended and so my regrets are much bigger now. :(

The 1980 "final season" was crap and missing the great actors of the Show. Shame....

bayonetbrant

I catch some of the reruns on TV every now and then, but I loved the mid-00's reboot so much it's tough to watch the late-70s cheese on display of the older show.  It's kind of like watching the mid-80s Spider Man cartoon vs watching today's MCU movies: the old stuff was good enough for us to enjoy then, but has clearly been lapped by what's come since.  To me, at least.  YMMV
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Anguille

Well, i actually finished the last season of the new show before starting to look at the original series. I really love the new characters and cast and the special effects are just amazing. However, storywise, i have to say that i prefer the old  one with the Cylons being an alien race. The new series has too much talking and i got the feeling that the writers didn't really know where to go to. I wasn't so convinced by the ending. The first season was top and to me, while i did enjoy the entire show, it started to fade when they landed on New Caprica. I am pretty sure i am going to look the first season again but not sure about the rest. Also, while i love the new cast, the old one is closer to my heart. :smitten:

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

Peter David writing = reasonable probability of not sucking!  :notworthy:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 09, 2017, 08:26:37 AM

Er, except that dude wrote some crappy Star Trek novels (I know some of you not of the body might disagree but you're still wrong  :P )
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

If you're talking about Q-In-Law (which I'd agree is the weakest of this list), Q-Squared, and Vendetta, then yes I'm going to disagree about them being crappy. But those are the only three PD Trek novels I've read. (...possibly also the only Trek novels I've read, but I've heard enough about others to easily allow that many sound better.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on October 09, 2017, 09:14:24 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on October 09, 2017, 08:26:37 AM

Er, except that dude wrote some crappy Star Trek novels (I know some of you not of the body might disagree but you're still wrong  :P )

Keep Peter David in comics where he belongs, and you almost always get a good outcome.

Turn Peter David loose on long-form prose, and, well...  you're really rolling the dice with everyone's time
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

I was never impressed with his ST novels.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

I must be the only one, then. I liked Peter David's ST novels, especially Q-Squared.

As for BG 1978, I watched it EVERY week. Never missed one. I was about 6-8 years old I think and remember it was always on the night my mom and dad went to their bowling league, so I had a babysitter...a very tolerant one because I think she hated BG.

BG'80 was a laughable pile of crap. The only thing I remember specifically from it though are flying motorcycles.

JasonPratt

And that one good (2-part?) episode about Starbuck stuck with the Cylon soldier on an alien planet, which everyone incorrectly remembers being part of the 78 series for its story quality.

mirth

The Return of Starbuck - the only decent episode to come out of Galactica 1980.

mirth

Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 10, 2017, 09:19:52 AM
BG'80 was a laughable pile of crap. The only thing I remember specifically from it though are flying motorcycles.

And Wolfman Jack.

BanzaiCat

I do remember now the next day at middle school, everyone making fun of BG'80.

I'd forgotten about Wolfman Jack. That dude was in everything and anything people would let him in. He must have been a vampire.