Main Menu

X4 Foundations

Started by Jarhead0331, August 27, 2017, 02:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 08, 2018, 03:07:33 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 07, 2018, 09:27:53 PM
I am tempted for sure, but have to admit I am intimidated....seems like you have to learn a lot without much direction.  Maybe that's the fun part....seriously thinking.

Egosoft have done precisely nothing to provide information for the player, for sure.  However we're all learning together here and can easily spread the knowledge!  I'm sure the community are working on a wiki too.

I appreciate the assistance of the forum, but when I see 100's of questions (at the steam forum) and here on what appears to be the most basic tasks (how do you dock, how do you trade, how to you sell, how to you get from a to b, etc.), just seems like I will spend more time searching and looking for answers than actually playing the game.  Not at all trying to knock the game, just saying what is making me a little hesitant, especially for a $50 game.  There is no doubt I will pick up sometime, just a matter of now or on a good sale in the future.

Yskonyn

Well I think all the answers on basic gameplay are easy to find now that lots of people have put out guides and pointers.
Also, you can take advantage of this thread. You'll get pretty close to realtime support here. 😊
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 08, 2018, 03:58:43 AM
Well I think all the answers on basic gameplay are easy to find now that lots of people have put out guides and pointers.
Also, you can take advantage of this thread. You'll get pretty close to realtime support here. 😊

I guess my point was that for basic easy gameplay stuff I shouldn't have to "find" :)

I'll certainly will be continually to monitor this thread....

Huw the Poo

I agree with you, Grim.  It's shocking how little actual documentation has been released, and it's a black mark against Egosoft to be honest.  It doesn't make it any worse of a game, of course, but the community shouldn't have to collectively figure out how to play the damn thing.

There are some in-game tutorials but they really suck.  I've just been figuring stuff out as I go along and grabbing little tips here and on Reddit/Steam.  It's far from ideal, but the way I see it, I only have to learn things once, then I can play a brilliant game for as long as I want to.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 08, 2018, 05:04:50 AM
I agree with you, Grim.  It's shocking how little actual documentation has been released, and it's a black mark against Egosoft to be honest.  It doesn't make it any worse of a game, of course, but the community shouldn't have to collectively figure out how to play the damn thing.

There are some in-game tutorials but they really suck.  I've just been figuring stuff out as I go along and grabbing little tips here and on Reddit/Steam.  It's far from ideal, but the way I see it, I only have to learn things once, then I can play a brilliant game for as long as I want to.

Thanks and it does seem like a good game hidden under the layers.  Maybe some people do like the mystery and trying to figure things out on their own.

What I still find shocking is that a mainstream game like this still does not have a review completed by a major review site after being out nine days.  I understand that some likely will say it is a complex game that takes time to learn, but other complex games have been released in the past with reviews before, on, or right after release.  Not sure what to make of that.  Or maybe not as mainstream as I thought:)

Huw the Poo

It isn't a mainstream game, in fact it's pretty niche even within the already-somewhat-niche space sim genre.  It's at least as much an economic strategy game as it is a space sim.  Frankly I'm glad there aren't any reviews yet, because even dedicated players are only just unravelling what the game is really capable of.  Any review released now would be unfairly skewed toward a negative score for that reason.

Grim.Reaper

maybe mainstream was wrong word, but review sites certainly have reviewed less popular games than this:)

Huw the Poo

Well, I couldn't let you show me up for long, Jarhead!  I've got myself a frigate as well, an Argon-made Cerberus Vanguard.  I don't have a heavy fighter for it yet though; I'm still using the Elite Vanguard as its support ship.

I've got a few silicon miners on the go in particularly silicon-dense spots now, and the credits are absolutely flying in.  It won't be long before I have a wing of heavy fighters flying with me to kick some Xenon arse. :)

mikeck

I've found that there are you tube videos galore that show you how to do anything you want. So don't guess and slog through...just watch the videos
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

PanzersEast

Read'em and weep boys.... My new Corvette

Count em.... 5 forward Bolt Repeaters

Yskonyn

Nice going!

Question: did the 1.3 patch require you to setup proper defenses for your PHQ already or do the enemies leave it alone?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 10, 2018, 09:19:40 AM
Nice going!

Question: did the 1.3 patch require you to setup proper defenses for your PHQ already or do the enemies leave it alone?

Mine has not been attacked yet and space still seems pretty peaceful.

Honestly, I think I'm burning out. Its just too open sandbox for me. I wish there was more of a story line and more of a main plot to quest and follow. The initial quest that brings you to the PHQ was mildly engrossing, but ever since transporting that Boron to the PHQ and starting the research stuff, he's gone silent. Not sure if there is some trigger that brings those missions back, but I've researched everything and the mission line appears complete.

Seems like I've been left to my own devices at this point, and just making more money to buy and build more and bigger things does not hold my attention. I find myself loading the game up now and getting bored pretty quickly.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

PanzersEast

Did run into a problem..... I was hyper focusing on getting my New station build and up and going (Teladi space) that all my miners stopped brining in money.  I ignored over time and then went back and looked.  I have about 15 miners, some are gas and others are mineral.  So I set the majority to mine only Nividium and was racking in the cash.... and then there was no more demand.

So I had to go back and make them drop their loads, and switch all my miners to mine all wares.  Then they started mining again.  There are several issues here.  No visual feedback on this, they just mined, filled their hull, then set there.  I had to go and see why.
Also, with no full blown war, the wares are not being used as quickly or the need is very shallow.  Maybe once more stations are built or the war causes more ships to be made etc.... then the demand will rise again.... but until this, the market can become stagnate.

@JH
The biggest thing I am doing and ramping up to start taking over sectors.  I am trying to stay in with the Argon Fed and the Teladi's good graces for now......  I will eventually start Pirating the other factions and slowly try to take over their sectors.  Once that is done, then take on the big boys.

So for now, I am trying to profit as much as I can, build up a fleet (just about ready to purchase a Destroyer, and hope to comprise my first fleet with 1-2 Destroyers, 2-4 Frigates, and 4-5 Corvettes).  I think it is important in the game to have a goal in mind.  This one is a very looooong term goal.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: PanzersEast on December 10, 2018, 10:08:22 AM
Did run into a problem..... I was hyper focusing on getting my New station build and up and going (Teladi space) that all my miners stopped brining in money.  I ignored over time and then went back and looked.  I have about 15 miners, some are gas and others are mineral.  So I set the majority to mine only Nividium and was racking in the cash.... and then there was no more demand.

So I had to go back and make them drop their loads, and switch all my miners to mine all wares.  Then they started mining again.  There are several issues here.  No visual feedback on this, they just mined, filled their hull, then set there.  I had to go and see why.
Also, with no full blown war, the wares are not being used as quickly or the need is very shallow.  Maybe once more stations are built or the war causes more ships to be made etc.... then the demand will rise again.... but until this, the market can become stagnate.

@JH
The biggest thing I am doing and ramping up to start taking over sectors.  I am trying to stay in with the Argon Fed and the Teladi's good graces for now......  I will eventually start Pirating the other factions and slowly try to take over their sectors.  Once that is done, then take on the big boys.

So for now, I am trying to profit as much as I can, build up a fleet (just about ready to purchase a Destroyer, and hope to comprise my first fleet with 1-2 Destroyers, 2-4 Frigates, and 4-5 Corvettes).  I think it is important in the game to have a goal in mind.  This one is a very looooong term goal.

What is the reputation level required to get a capital ship license?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

The RPS review is live. Its always hard to tell what their reviewer thinks, unless of course the game includes characters who are openly and obviously homosexual, transexual and hermaphrodite. Then they talk about it like its got game of the year potential.

I'm all for diversity in gaming, but I am really sick of this being the overwhelmingly most significant criteria upon which that website judges video games.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog