Main Menu

X4 Foundations

Started by Jarhead0331, August 27, 2017, 02:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

I'm glad to see so many enjoying this. Some of the stuff that people are enjoying were in Rebirth. But alas, so many could not power through that game in its initial (1st year!!) state
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Cougar_DK

Quote from: Pete Dero on December 04, 2018, 10:24:03 AM
Quote from: trek on December 04, 2018, 09:17:29 AM
Also they indicate some fix for the game recognizing controllers (Xbox, etc.)

If I remember correctly X Rebirth had major issues with some controllers and popular joysticks when it was just released.

Not the smartest move from Egosoft introducing the same technical problems in X4.

I have no problems with my 4 CH sticks which is 4 physical devices and 6 logical. The configuration looks a little like how DCS World does it. It works great - no problems assigning axis and buttons.

My only problem is the mouse wheel sometimes take over the throttle control...

Looking forward to they enable TrackIR  ;)
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

solops

I really really want X4 to be good. Is it ready to buy or does it need work?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Yskonyn

Quote from: solops on December 06, 2018, 11:22:12 AM

Both really, lol.

But the serious answer is that the game still has bugs. Some are quite annoying, but I have yet to find game breaking ones. So yes, its ready to be bought and enjoyed as far as I am concerned.
I am about 10hrs in.

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

Well I have just bought my 2nd miner!
It does annoy me that they often seem to get stuck trying to dock at the Silicon Refinery though. I have had to manually override their approach several times now.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 06, 2018, 11:31:09 AM
It does annoy me that they often seem to get stuck trying to dock at the Silicon Refinery though. I have had to manually override their approach several times now.

Are you equipping docking software? I always put in Level 2 docking software and with 4 miners operating, I haven't seen this issue.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Ah good point! I will have to check.
I've also made the screenshots. I'll upload them later tonight to show you my setup.  :bd:

PanzersEast

Quote from: solops on December 06, 2018, 11:22:12 AM

Honestly both..... there is enough there to do and have fun with, but it still needs some refinement.  I posted some thoughts a couple pages back.  By the time the 1st DLC rolls out, the game will be the best in the series.

There still needs to be work done on the AI, ship battles (sometime one large Xenon ship would appear from a jump gate to get swarmed... this needs to be more coordinated).  The universe populates at first with ships, and then from there on out new ones have to be built.  I think the universe is a little sparse and could use some more population.

There is clipping issue, some other bugs, pathfinding on AI ships... but so far I am having a blast with this and is a lot easier to get into than X3.  They cleaned up the menu system which makes it very easy to control your empire.  Overall I give it a thumbs up and find it stable and acceptable given the complexity of the game and all the working parts.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 06, 2018, 11:31:09 AM

I now have 7, mainly because I found an abandoned capital ship and sold it for 5 mil.  I've noticed the AI pathfinding needs a lot of work, and not just the miners.  I have seen several stations where ships have been stuck under the station trying to dock, or take weird angles and continually maneuver around.

Huw the Poo

Ysk and Panzers:

For your pathfinding issues...apparently it's worse when you're in the same sector as the AI ships.  Try going elsewhere and resist the temptation to babysit them.  For what it's worth, I haven't had any such issues.

Yskonyn

Thanks Huw. That makes sense because I think the game will start to abstract things for performance reasons.
But I am busy farming those shiny crystals, so I am going to test if JH's help works out by outfitting them with a Mk2 docking computer.

Ok JH here goes:

Here you see the Controls menu.
Be mindful of the following options here:
-Joystick deadzone was set to 15% by default, but if you have a stick with Hall sensors like the Warthog something like 5 or 3 is a more decent setting.

-Bidirectional throttle is a personal preference. It means that your throttle will be 0 at the mid range, so you can go forward and backward by pushing or pulling the throttle handle or slider. I prefer to have full range control over my throttle and prefer to use a toggle switch to go backwards.

-Gamepad mode is off, because I don't use one for any of my controls and I don't want it to interfere somehow.

-Adaptive steering should be OFF (!) if you use a joystick and throttle. Otherwise the controls will be very awkward.

Now we go into the 'Manage Joysticks and Controllers' option:

By default the game sorts this list by USB ID or something, so as you can see I have sorted my controllers into a logical order.
You do this by just selecting the correct controller from the dropdown list in the row you want to edit.
Also, you can let the game ignore controllers you dont want to use by only listing the ones you do want to use.

Now we go back to the Controls menu and open the General menu at the top to view my assignments:

Primary Steering is your Yaw motion, so assign pedals to that at the top menu if you have them. Otherwise there's also a digital assignment in the lower menu if you want to use buttons or keys.

The rest should be fairly straight forward?
Hope this helps.

JasonPratt

Good grief, Ysk, what resolution are you on? 4000??
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 06, 2018, 02:13:48 PM
Thanks Huw. That makes sense because I think the game will start to abstract things for performance reasons.

Yep.  OOS (out of sector) has always been a thing in the X Series for just this reason.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 05, 2018, 05:27:25 PM
Also, when I'm buying a new ship is there any way I can guarantee I will get a captain of at least three stars?  I bought a ship to autotrade this evening, to test the latest patch that supposedly fixes it, but it came with a 2-star captain whereas you need 3 stars to autotrade.

I solved this by landing on a capital ship and poaching one of its crew!  When you click hire you can see their skills before deciding where to put them.  So if you don't like what you can see you can just click cancel.

By the way, I strongly recommend the docking computer mk 2.  It saves so much time.

Yskonyn

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 06, 2018, 02:17:17 PM
Good grief, Ysk, what resolution are you on? 4000??

Yea thats 4k right there! 😊

Sorry I don't know how to make the forum crop them.